Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

You have and will get a lot of suggestions here, but really any film or game that really taps into what scares you or brings about a feeling of anxiety in a thrilling way (like the ascent up a roller coaster) is good horror. And that will be different for everyone.

If you're interested in films, give Shudder a try for a month and see what grabs you. It's well enough curated that you're pretty unlikely to find anything abjectly terrible. It's like five bucks and they may even have a free trial on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Sometimes people equate "horror" with the slasher genre, which is not really accurate. It's a sub-genre. Though it's worth noting that some slasher movies are good, like the original Halloween and the first Nightmare on Elm Street (if you consider that a slasher movie). Either way, they're both good movies and should be seen, classics of horror cinema.

Then you have your "high-end" horror movies like Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, and The Shining - movies made by legit artists to create an overwhelming feeling of dread. All worth seeing.

There's been a recent flood of small, independent horror movies which have been great, like the aforementioned It Follows and The Babadook. I'd also recommend The Witch, which was freaky as gently caress.

Like werewolves? An American Werewolf In London is one of my all-time favorite films. People often remember it as some kind of comedy, but it's not. It's a horror movie and a goddamn good one.

How about vampires? I'd recommend both F.W. Murnau AND Werner Herzog's Nosferatu, The Hunger, Guillermo del Toro's Cronos, and a movie I always love to get people to watch: the 1979 TV miniseries adaptation of Stephen King's Salem's Lot. It's loving great. Other than the puzzling mistake of casting David Soul in the lead, it's got a great loving cast - Fred Willard, Geoffrey Lewis, George Dzundza, Lew Ayres, a young and heartbreakingly beautiful Bonnie Bedelia, Brad Savage, Kenneth McMillan, motherfucking James Mason. It's like a compendium of American character actors from the 1970s and 80s. And it's fantastic, particularly for a TV miniseries from the 1970s. It probably helps that it was directed by Tobe Hooper (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Poltergeist).

But if you really want to feel frightened? If you want to feel cold, like you just swallowed an ice cube? Like you'll never feel happy again?

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

this thread is horrifying.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
The Descent by Jeff Long (1999)

I see over and over again that the movie with the same name had nothing to do with the book. Regardless of the fact that the movies and the books featured similarly-imagined creatures in caves doing the same things (eating people), The Descent book owns.
After an initial introduction with some hikers, the first XX pages set up the story with reports of these man-eating creatures coming out of the ground and taking people. The main characters are introduced, and it continues. I would say it is a lot more sci-fi than horror, but the book is a pretty wild adventure ride (it's like Indian Jones in many ways, IMO). There's an underlying tension throughout the book because it takes place underground and you never know what will come next. The sequel is a lot less fun and more nonsensical, but it also has a good build-up.

If you liked the movies, you might like the books. If you didn't like the movies, you might also like the books.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The NoSleep Podcast uses amateur stories, mostly from reddit's /r/nosleep forum of amateur horror fiction. Most of the stories are wet garbage and scary as a plastic Halloween pumpkin. However some of the performers wring quality from mediocre stories and when they're given a great story they really shine. Roughly half of the stuff is available for free, the other half you pay for. I do not recommend paying.

That all having been said, here are two of the creme-de-la-creme that I highly recommend, even if you've read the originals. They're about 2.5 hours long, but worth the listen.They're free. Put 'em on during a long car ride or something I don't give a gently caress.

The Whistlers.
This one is a grind in a good way. It's more of a terror piece, and the narrator really gets you to empathize with the main characters.

Borrasca.
Holy poo poo this one is loving unsettling. It's a long road to the payoff but it is so worth it, and is easily the best-written/best read piece I've heard from the podcast by several country miles. This is not for the faint of heart. The first time I heard this I almost threw up.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
Cross posting from the bee yob because I'd like to at least attempt to contribute to my own thread.

Starman Super DX posted:

successful day at the local game con today. Sonic 3 for :10bux: and Super Bomberman 2 (JP) for 10. GF picked up Silent Hill and Resident Evil 2.
we went in on Demon's Crest together for far too much. no reasonably priced boxes this year unfortunately. none that I wanted anyway.

Clock Tower was going for seventy but we didn't feel like dropping the cash. Demon's Crest isn't exactly horror but goddamn if isn't the best Ghouls n' Ghosts spinoff there is (and there are more than one would think). I plan on going through Silent Hill with the SO.

Otherwise I'm really excited to get to everyone's suggestions. atm my horror queue is including Silent Hill, Scream, and Return of the Living Dead. I'm gonna start small and work my way toward the more intense stuff. Admittedly I'm a terrible reader and that's something I need to work on as well (although Vonnegut has a priority in that regard), but if I have a little time, I'd like to give as much attention to as goon recommendations as possible- whether it be book, film, or game. Horror TV I'm surprisingly less sure about.

But hey, feel free to discuss that or any other horror related topics! this doesn't need to just be about my own personal tastes.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdleomnwhvY

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Starman Super DX posted:

But hey, feel free to discuss that or any other horror related topics! this doesn't need to just be about my own personal tastes.

Just be sure to check back in and let us know what you thought of some of the suggestions. Field reports would be appreciated.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Hell Yeah posted:

this thread is horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I liked this game a lot. Cliver Barker's Undying was pretty fun too.

As far as horror movies go, I like pretty much anything that can be described as "found footage horror". Grave Encounters, As Above So Below, Trollhunter, etc I can never get enough of.

holy poo poo thank you for the memories. Sierra was the best :3:

• Locked thread