Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DracoArgentum
May 29, 2011
I'm still nailing down my August itinerary. I'm looking into places to stay but obviously need to figure out the exact dates first. I'll be traveling solo and going budget everything. So far looking at:

Day 1 Flying into Dublin late
Day 2- 4 Dublin
Day 5-7 Belfast
Day 8-10 Glasgow
Someone suggested I do Bath and Stonehenge as a day-trip tour from London which sounded reasonable but have a few days to gently caress with now
Day 13-17 London
Day 18 Fly out of London around noon

My list of things I'm interested near Dublin are Malahide and Kilkenny Castle, Kilmainham Goal, Book of Kell and Bru na Boinne
In Belfast my prioritie is Giant's Causeway but also maybe Carrickfergus and Scrabo Tower.
For Glagow the Necropolis, Stirling Castle and Dundrum Castle
In Bath of course the baths and a friend told me to eat at Sally Lunn's
London I have the Natural History and British Museums, the Tower of London and the Globe

I don't have much written down for London despite the number of days, but I've been told that there will be plenty to do so to give it plenty of time.

I'm mostly looking at public transport but I can rent a car if it would make certain parts easier.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you.

DracoArgentum fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I always suggest the Wellcome Collection to people visiting London. It's a great little museum and is walkable from the British Museum if you fancy it.

DracoArgentum
May 29, 2011
I'll check into that museum. Someone suggested I do a day-trip tour of Bath and Stonehenge from London which made more sense travel wise. Thinking about adding in York to the interim days. Suggestions?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
What happened to days 11 and 12?
York is nice enough, though it's a fair bit further from London and can be very touristy. I wouldn't do Bath and York, one or the other I think.

Have you considered Edinburgh? It's a great city, you have the medieval Old Town up on the hill and the grand New Town down below. Lots of parklands to chill and you can walk up Arthur's Seat if you have non-goon levels of fitness.

Also if you can swing it, I'd strongly recommend a couple of days on the Isle of Skye. It's absolutely stunning scenery, probably the best in Scotland, and the outdoors stuff there is great. Old Man of Storr, Kilt Rock, Fairy Pools and Quiriang were the highlights for us, though you kinda need a car to get around.

In London, make sure you check out Borough Markets while you're at the Globe since it's just nearby. Also spend a day wandering around Shoreditch since it's pretty cool. Camden Markets are good too, though quite touristy and crowded particularly on weekends.

And if you're into art at all, don't skip the National Gallery - it has some incredible artists in the collection.

DracoArgentum
May 29, 2011

webmeister posted:

York is nice enough, though it's a fair bit further from London and can be very touristy. I wouldn't do Bath and York, one or the other I think.

Have you considered Edinburgh? It's a great city, you have the medieval Old Town up on the hill and the grand New Town down below. Lots of parklands to chill and you can walk up Arthur's Seat if you have non-goon levels of fitness.

Also if you can swing it, I'd strongly recommend a couple of days on the Isle of Skye. It's absolutely stunning scenery, probably the best in Scotland, and the outdoors stuff there is great. Old Man of Storr, Kilt Rock, Fairy Pools and Quiriang were the highlights for us, though you kinda need a car to get around.

In London, make sure you check out Borough Markets while you're at the Globe since it's just nearby. Also spend a day wandering around Shoreditch since it's pretty cool. Camden Markets are good too, though quite touristy and crowded particularly on weekends.

And if you're into art at all, don't skip the National Gallery - it has some incredible artists in the collection.

Day 11 and 12 were originally Bath and Stonehenge but since it was suggested I do them as a day trip from London instead I have extra days to put somewhere now. I could use them for Edinburgh. My Scottish friend suggested I do Edinburgh as a day trip from Glasgow, but Glasgow is her hometown so she may be biased. I have heard suggestions for Isle of Skye but beyond waterfalls, caves and ruins I'm not much into outdoor activities so I wasn't sure there would be much there for me to justify the trip. I had been trying to fit Orkney in but it's just a bit far to work it seems.

DracoArgentum fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 27, 2017

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah, Orkney is way too far for you to fit in I think. We did it last week as a day-trip from Inverness and even that was long as hell: three hours on a coach from Inverness to John O'Groats, 40 minutes on the ferry, about 7-8 hours touring around the island then basically 4 hours ferry and driving back to Inverness. 14 hour day all up - it was worth it, but considering it's another 3 hours between Glasgow/Edinburgh and Inverness, I wouldn't bother.

Oh and in Glasgow, make sure you visit the Kelvingrove Gallery & Museum. Fantastic collection of art, and the museum is pretty good too. In particular they have a Dali painting of the Crucifixion which is incredible.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'm not really a huge fan of Bath and wouldn't really consider it worth going out of your way for, but I'm not a tourist (and live in Bristol)

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

webmeister posted:

Yeah, Orkney is way too far for you to fit in I think. We did it last week as a day-trip from Inverness and even that was long as hell: three hours on a coach from Inverness to John O'Groats, 40 minutes on the ferry, about 7-8 hours touring around the island then basically 4 hours ferry and driving back to Inverness. 14 hour day all up - it was worth it, but considering it's another 3 hours between Glasgow/Edinburgh and Inverness, I wouldn't bother.

Oh and in Glasgow, make sure you visit the Kelvingrove Gallery & Museum. Fantastic collection of art, and the museum is pretty good too. In particular they have a Dali painting of the Crucifixion which is incredible.

That paintings leaving in five weeks till May so he might miss it.

Liquid Banjo
Dec 23, 2009

full of mama's homemade pemmican

webmeister posted:

Do you have any other recommendations around the Skye area? I'll be close to Ullapool for 5 days and considered ferrying to Stornoway and back for a day (will have a car). Is that doable?

Liquid Banjo fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 24, 2017

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Liquid Banjo posted:

Do you have any other recommendations around the Skye area? I'll be close to Ullapool for 5 days and considered ferrying to Stornoway and back for a day (will have a car). Is that doable?

I actually haven't been that far to the north-west so I can't really recommend anything, sorry! You could do a day trip to Orkney (or an overnighter I guess), but it's a long way - 130 miles/3 hours each way.

In the Highlands we also went to Glencoe which was nice, and Oban too which was very crowded the day a cruise ship came in, but the other day was quite nice. Great distillery here too.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
The Edinburgh festival is taking place in August, so if you come to Edinburgh you can basically find comedy/music/theatre/dance/cabaret to go see at pretty much any time of day if that's the kind of thing you enjoy. However, Edinburgh will never be busier than it is in August so it depends if you like crowds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Banjo
Dec 23, 2009

full of mama's homemade pemmican

webmeister posted:

I actually haven't been that far to the north-west so I can't really recommend anything, sorry! You could do a day trip to Orkney (or an overnighter I guess), but it's a long way - 130 miles/3 hours each way.

In the Highlands we also went to Glencoe which was nice, and Oban too which was very crowded the day a cruise ship came in, but the other day was quite nice. Great distillery here too.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Ended up spending most of my time on Skye. That place is unreal. Definitely making the haul to Orkney next time.

• Locked thread