Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Retrieved the curtain pole, I’m very happy with the appearance of the finish. After a couple of tests I don’t think it will hold up super well to the loops being dragged across it, but that should be out of sight. Might try a second topcoat on the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

by astral
Oh boy, house renovation. Messy and dusty. Currently knee-deep in the chaos of it all myself. We decided to do a whole house renovation.
First off, messy and dusty don't even begin to cover it. It's like living in an endless cloud of sawdust. Every time I think we've cleaned up, I turn around, and there's more dust settling on everything.
My project involves a bit of everything. I'm ripping out old carpets and installing hardwood floors throughout the house. The kitchen is getting a complete overhaul with new cabinets, countertops, and appliances. We're also knocking down a few walls to create a more open-concept layout. Oh, and don't even get me started on the bathrooms - they're getting a major facelift with new tiles and fixtures.
To cope with the volume of stuff we're tearing out, we're renting a dumpster. Best decision ever. It's amazing how much junk accumulates when you start ripping things apart. The company from where we rent is Dumpster Rentals Lafayette, a local one.
Despite the mess and chaos, watching the transformation unfold is satisfying. Sure, there are days when I question my sanity for taking on such a massive project. But then I catch a glimpse of what the finished product will look like, and it's all worth it.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
We put some sort of thin, narrow, plastic glide strip on the top of our main curtain rod. The purpose was to silence the hangers and make them easier to draw, but they also mostly eliminate contact between the parts so it would probably protect a paint job as well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Burger Flipper posted:

Oh boy, house renovation. Messy and dusty.

Very

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Curtains time.

Proffer the curtains and mark useful heights.

Hard to see, but light markings of level and span. Aiming for 100mm of free pole either end.

Punch, drill, plug, fix.

None of them played ball in terms of consistency of what I was drilling into, and as such they're not the most secure in the world, but if it becomes a problem I guess I can redo them.

Erase the pencil marks.

Fit the covers and holders.

Add the finials to the pole and there we go.

Out of energy to actually pull and hang the curtains, perhaps tomorrow.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Railed it.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Good job! Curtains can be a pain because they are pretty heavy and if your walls are flakey or you hit a mortar joint when measuring there isn't much you can do.

I have started using a wooden board fixed along the rail line to the wall, then fixing the brackets to that, which feels much sturdier. The board can either be contrast or painted to match the wall - a stained and sealed pine board might look good there.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

At least it wasn't fitting metal track into a bay :negative:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

At least it wasn't fitting metal track into a bay :negative:

Yeah for pragmatic reasons the bays downstairs are getting the straight-across grotto treatment.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

OK so curtains. First up, some prick left all their stuff everywhere.

Better.

Now we gotta pull in the pleats on these.

Took some trying to figure out best approach, but wasn't too bad. Tied it off so I can check the width before cutting the excess.

Hooks.

Yeah don't look at previous photos, no genius moron put the pole up without the rings on.

Anyway, tested the width. All good.

Do the next one, but SOMEONE stitched over them, not me this time.

Couldn't be bothered going to get a seam ripper so just sliced them on the next pleat.

All good.

My knife is in dire need of sharpening so I came back later with scissors and trimmed the cords back. And now I guess I have to clean the windows.

Now, it's all a bit monochrome I know, but these are pragmatic decisions to speed up progress and I can accessorise later. And maybe the rings could be bigger to balancing things visually.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 1, 2024

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Do you comb your carpet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

That’s a thing called “vacuuming”