Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010
She was found wandering on a rural farm road, pregnant and hungry, and ended up in a close by rural high kill shelter. My soft hearted daughter just couldn't stand it, and made a deal with a friend's rescue to bail her out even though the rescue had no one who could take her in right then, so my kid stepped up and offered to keep her till she had her puppies, by which time space would be available with one of the rescue's regular fosters.

She was very fearful to start out, growled at everyone and everything, wouldn't let anyone touch her, was just terrified. She seemed particularly hateful towards males, though just big males...she wasn't as bad with the 5 year old boy. Didn't take her long though to figure out that she'd landed in the equivalent of Dog Paradise....Soft bed, excellent food, stellar care (my daughter is a retired, experienced Vet Tech) and an entire family who just wanted to love on her and give her treats and attention. When presented with a little kindness she has turned into the sweetest and most loving little lady ever, just wants to be in a lap, any lap though she's bonded pretty closely with my daughter. Her entire back end wags she's so happy right now. Daughter thinks she's about a week away from delivery.

Meet Mama Dog.

Getting lots of love, making up for lost time.

Sooooo pregnant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
That is a fine brown dog.

...What're you going to do with the pups?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ah hell she looks like a good dog. I'd normally say "rub her belly for me" but I dunno. smack her tits around a little? Because she looks like she's all tits at this point.

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

BluesShaman posted:

That is a fine brown dog.

...What're you going to do with the pups?

This is a temporary foster situation so they and Mama Dog will be turned over to the rescue when there's space for them, but not till after the pups are born.

quote:

ah hell she looks like a good dog. I'd normally say "rub her belly for me" but I dunno. smack her tits around a little? Because she looks like she's all tits at this point.

Pretty much nothing but tits under there. Hard to get a realistic idea from the photos, but jesus she's huge. All tits and belly. There's a spot on her underside though where she loves to be rubbed and scritched...she gets all limp and gooey when you hit it. Added bonus is you get to feel the pups squirming around and kicking in there!

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010
Well, the kid got tired of running up and down the stairs to her basement every 20 minutes to see what was going on with Mama Dog AKA Boobs McGee. So, she set up a WebCam of sorts, jury rigging an old baby monitor to do the job.

And so the puppy watch begins in earnest!

Octofoot
Jul 16, 2008

oh my god PUPPIES :swoon: Is she comfy?

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

Octofoot posted:

oh my god PUPPIES :swoon: Is she comfy?

SO comfy! My kid is going overboard to make sure she's taken care of. She spent most of the day yesterday in the little baby pool, well padded with comfy blankets and soft things, for whelping the puppies in. She doesn't want to eat. When convinced to go outside, just for a few minutes, she was found digging a hole under the deck steps. No mama dog, you may be temporarily nesting crazy, but you're not having your puppies in the dirt.

Back inside, belly rubs, heating pad, and we wait. Early labor can't be rushed.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

She looks like a mix of every dog breed ever, an ideal American Brown Dog. I bet her puppies are going to be the most random-looking little things.

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010
Puppy potatoes!!!

She has three. That was a surprise. Given the size of her belly, and the degree of wiggling in there, my daughter and I both predicted 5-6. She whelped easily, had the three within a three hour span. I don't think my kid helped much if at all, though she was hovering just in case.

The grandkids named them, so .....

This is Golden, the first born. He is significantly larger than the other two.

Next came Guinea Pig. He's the runt of the litter.

Meet Lala. She's a bit bigger than the runt, but still noticeably smaller than the first born potato piggy. I love her Zorro mask!

Mama and babies are all fine. She's a good mother, all instincts full on and in overdrive, especially the protective ones, but has no problem allowing my daughter full access while she keeps a watchful eye. She doesn't mind the grandkids or me either, but is wary of the other dogs, not surprisingly. She's gone completely off her dry food, but is gulping down the wet food as fast as it's put in front of her.

Thankful the whelping part is over, now grow those pups Mama!!

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

How are the puppies? Is Guinea Pig packing on the weight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

Pinball posted:

How are the puppies? Is Guinea Pig packing on the weight?

They've all gained some, but are still staying proportionate to each other/the way they were at birth.

Mama Dog is feeling less frantic about them, so we were able to weigh them yesterday, just to get some kind of baseline. Guinea pig weighs in at 1 pound 2 ounces, Lala at 1 pound 4 ounces, and Golden at a whopping 1 pound 10 ounces! You can feel the difference when you hold Golden in one hand, and either of the other pups in the other...she's just a solid potato lump!

They look healthy, and continue to plump out. Mama Dog has stopped bleeding, though she's so heavy with milk her tits almost drag the ground. Her body is still adjusting her supply to the demand so I imagine that will all back off some soon. She still won't eat the dry food, she's being fed a very high quality canned puppy food, which is the recommended food for a nursing bitch.

Terrible pics, I'll get some better ones hopefully today after work.

All three with me. You can continue to see how much bigger Golden is than the other two.

Mama Dog who's bonded to my kid. Every time she brings her food, or checks on the puppies or changes the bedding, Mama Dog won't let her leave without a snuggle...total full on lap and licks and flipping onto her back for belly scritches.

• Locked thread