Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

It's weird, I had completely forgotten that the Time-Locked Vault existed.

EDIT: At this point I also feel a bit bad that I've run out of comments or questions. But I'm genuinely still digging the LP! It's not for lack of interest.

Don't sweat it. I just wish this thread would reach the next page so I wouldn't have to deal with the half-dozen updates on this one loading every time I want to check something. But I think this post or the next one should tip it over, so no worries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
You got any plans for another playthrough or LP after this?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Couple of other LP ideas, but nothing definite yet. Will see if any of them can sustain my interest and if I can spare the time.

More TOME playthroughs? Sure. Just probably not ones recorded for this thread.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Thank you for playing TOME for us! It looks a bit stat-fiddly for my tastes as a roguelike (though it's also giving you plenty of chances to not die, that's nice), but it's certainly interesting to watch it unfold.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Now, you're playing on the hardest difficulty and end up outfitted in half a museum's worth of artifacts, correct? What little I've played of the game on the default difficulty has also ended up with me outfitted at least in all magical gear. Could you go the other way, presumably on the easiest difficulty or maybe normal, and play a character who only uses mundane equipment? You'd be able to upgrade tiers, from iron to steel to dwarven steel to stralite to voratun (IIRC), but you'd have to go with completely unenchanted gear. If it has any additional effects, you can't use it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I think Inadequately is playing on normal. I'd say a "normal" normal run in either campaign tends to end up with about half your slots fitting fixed artifacts, and two or three fitting random artifacts. On harder difficulties, it swings higher towards random artifacts, both because there are more drops of them, and because you have more options to buy them due to there being more gold dropping from better loot sales.

Sticking with entirely mundane equipment has two issues. Firstly? It's sacrificing a good chunk of power. Not so much on the offensive side, but your resistances(both to status effects and elemental damage) would suffer a MASSIVE blow(your amulet and ring slots would also be entirely purposeless, belt, too, if I remember right, since items in those four slots have no "base" stats and only have effects if enchanted). Secondly, once you're out of the first two tiers of gear, non-enchanted equipment, that is, white-named items, are actually really rare. So you'd be waiting a lot longer to gear up, and might end up not actually being able to fill some slots with tier-5 gear at all.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I'm pretty sure he's playing on nightmare, which is actually not the hardest difficulty but still harder than normal.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

PurpleXVI posted:

I think Inadequately is playing on normal. I'd say a "normal" normal run in either campaign tends to end up with about half your slots fitting fixed artifacts, and two or three fitting random artifacts. On harder difficulties, it swings higher towards random artifacts, both because there are more drops of them, and because you have more options to buy them due to there being more gold dropping from better loot sales.

Sticking with entirely mundane equipment has two issues. Firstly? It's sacrificing a good chunk of power. Not so much on the offensive side, but your resistances(both to status effects and elemental damage) would suffer a MASSIVE blow(your amulet and ring slots would also be entirely purposeless, belt, too, if I remember right, since items in those four slots have no "base" stats and only have effects if enchanted). Secondly, once you're out of the first two tiers of gear, non-enchanted equipment, that is, white-named items, are actually really rare. So you'd be waiting a lot longer to gear up, and might end up not actually being able to fill some slots with tier-5 gear at all.
But is it possible, on any difficulty?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Possible? Almost certainly, with one of the stronger classes on the easier difficulties. I won’t be showing off such a run, though, because I don’t think it would be very interesting or would have much to say about it besides ‘yup, you can do it if you want’.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Unimpressed posted:

I'm pretty sure he's playing on nightmare, which is actually not the hardest difficulty but still harder than normal.

Oh, you're right, it's Nightmare. I only played that once before moving on to Insane, but my impression was that it didn't notably affect the level or quality of drops.

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
Watching this just reminds me that Saw Wheels isn't as hilariously awesome as it used to be and now I'm sad. Great thread, but still.

(It was a mobility option for Sawbutchers that let you wheel about on your steamsaws and used to deal a percentage of your weapon damage to enemies you rolled past. Now it just knocks them back and does an AoE when you stop moving. Which is still good, but it was just such silly fun before.)

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

But is it possible, on any difficulty?
Yes, though probably not as psyshot since it's a weapon based class, so your damage really relies on gear. Something like Archmage or Paradox Mage probably could because most of their damage comes from their raw stats.

Also, FWIW, someone on the official forums apparently has a verified victory on Nightmare/Adventure with an Archmage with zero skill points spent - relying exclusively on effects from items, infusions and the tool slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

MagusofStars posted:

Also, FWIW, someone on the official forums apparently has a verified victory on Nightmare/Adventure with an Archmage with zero skill points spent - relying exclusively on effects from items, infusions and the tool slot.

What the christ. Why would you- no, I know why you'd try this. I'm just ASTOUNDED that it worked. I have no idea where the damage to deal with the bosses would come from, though. Did they post any details about their run?

edit: Also, I forgot, but yeah, thank you, Inadequately! You've done an excellent job at showing this game off, and I've had a blast reading along and learning some new stuff as I went.

Also, the meta-story of Maltoth was amazing, especially all the little winking nods to common pitfalls and player responses.

vdate fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 12, 2017

• Locked thread