Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Humans are gonna be fine, climate change will be our crucible but we've handled worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A lot of us might die but I have some weird optimism (I guess) that we are kind of like cockroaches in that some of us will probably survive somehow and then repopulate. Hopefully enough survive such that our gene pool isn't doomed... We already had one mass die off and as a result iirc it takes like 20k-40k humans to have a viable population that won't be plagued with genetic diseases.

It'd have to be a pretty major cataclysm to wipe out ALL humans.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

We've weakened our genepool so much by becoming addicted to pharmaceuticals, humanity is doomed. Smoke if you got 'em.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

COMRADES posted:

A lot of us might die but I have some weird optimism (I guess) that we are kind of like cockroaches in that some of us will probably survive somehow and then repopulate. Hopefully enough survive such that our gene pool isn't doomed... We already had one mass die off and as a result iirc it takes like 20k-40k humans to have a viable population that won't be plagued with genetic diseases.

It'd have to be a pretty major cataclysm to wipe out ALL humans.

Same. We're hardy as gently caress. Moonbase would be nice peace of mind though.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Honestly I don't know why we aren't spending our trillions of dollars on space weapons. No country could fight it once we had it in place and whatever space weapon we could build is surely better than the F35. If we control space we control the world.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Where are my godamn rape monsters from beyond the stars?

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

Where are my godamn rape monsters from beyond the stars?

One star rape monster just got acquitted.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Toadvine posted:

If we do enough dmt the machine elves will just tell us how to build portals

The truth is that WE are the machine elves, just we took too much anti-DMT or whatever and are stuck in this dimension until we die

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i've always been into ufo reports but never really believed in aliens and one thing i've noticed is that even "the best" ufo documentaries/books always include a case that's been thoroughly debunked or is obviously the fabrication of a crazy person, e.g., Rendlesham Forest (the "British Roswell" -- it was a Lighthouse and then one guy made up a bunch of poo poo about a UFO landing and changed his story about half a dozen times) or the Betty and Barny Hill abduction case (Betty Hill was a nut who thought every air plane she saw was a UFO and couldn't be convinced otherwise).

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

One star rape monster just got acquitted.

And we elected the other.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
I stumbled upon the video of this engineer who is sure that complex life existed on Mars - until it was nuked to hell and back half several million years ago or sth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd6xa5VivaE
He also believes that the asteroid ring between Mars and Jupiter was once a planet that was demolished in an even earlier cosmic conflict.

He's quite the conspiracy nut, but the idea itself is kinda cool as a scifi-concept. Would be just the thing you would read while scanning planets in Mass Effect.

Edit: Oh boy, the comments to the video are exaclty the kind of insane poo poo you would experience from the conspiracy crowd:

"DOPEDOGTOPDOG 5 months ago

This is total retardation , MARS IS NOT A PLANET , because PLANETS DO NOT EXIST , all you can see in the biggest telescopes is a diffuse shimmering light , everything ever published , broadcasted or claimed by NASA and other "space agencies " is fake , CGI , stagecraft and parlor tricks . NASA admits it is all artist rendition and " composite " images which are an interpretation of a string of 0 and 1 . There is no ACTUAL evidence those planets exist , or even that the Moon is a ball of rock , it could as well be some kind of light or anything else for that we know ..."

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 30, 2017

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
DOPEDOGTOPDOG just saying what everybody thinking

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Honestly I don't know why we aren't spending our trillions of dollars on space weapons. No country could fight it once we had it in place and whatever space weapon we could build is surely better than the F35. If we control space we control the world.

There's treaties preventing this.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

some say the air force x-37 is meant to be some kind of military spaceship, of course some say that u.s. has a treaty with the greys to share technology in exchange for letting them abduct people and perform weird sexy experiments on them

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

COMRADES posted:

There's treaties preventing this.

A decent space weapon could blow up a treaty from space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

SavageGentleman posted:

"DOPEDOGTOPDOG 5 months ago

This is total retardation , MARS IS NOT A PLANET , because PLANETS DO NOT EXIST , all you can see in the biggest telescopes is a diffuse shimmering light , everything ever published , broadcasted or claimed by NASA and other "space agencies " is fake , CGI , stagecraft and parlor tricks . NASA admits it is all artist rendition and " composite " images which are an interpretation of a string of 0 and 1 . There is no ACTUAL evidence those planets exist , or even that the Moon is a ball of rock , it could as well be some kind of light or anything else for that we know ..."

Nice job finding Jaden Smith's YouTube account.

• Locked thread