Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

he quit by mistake
the accounting app he wrote?
broke. off by one

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Three programmers walk into a bar. The bartender addresses the group: "Y'all want a a drink?". The first programmer says "I don't know", the second programmer says "I don't know" the third programmer says "yes"

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

ADINSX posted:

Three programmers walk into a bar. The bartender addresses the group: "Y'all want a a drink?". The first programmer says "I don't know", the second programmer says "I don't know" the third programmer says "yes"

"explain this joke" was a question for a logic assignment

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 8, 2017

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
how many programmers does it take to tell a joke?

two. one to deliver and one to add a comment to the punchline

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

OldAlias posted:

"explain this joke" was a question for a logic assignment

It's AND? or am I missing something

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

I can tell you a tcp joke, if you're ready

he might hear the punchline first

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

It's AND? or am I missing something

that's p much it. there's only two answers to the question "do you all want a drink" so "I don't know" could be parsed as "Yes or No." so in boolean logic ((yes or no) and (yes or no) and (yes)) = yes

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i thought it was about exceptions. if you can't handle an exception then you just keep throwing it up the chain

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

i suppose there multiple, equally unfunny interpretations

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

OldAlias posted:

i suppose there multiple, equally unfunny interpretations

yospos, bithc

StinkBeard
Aug 26, 2003

They all took "y'all" literally. If the first one didn't want a drink the answer would be no. The second one understood that, but didn't know what the third one would answer. The third one could infer what the first two wanted so he answered for all of them.

That's my unfunny explanation of a joke that's sperg-funny, a subset of all funny jokes.

StinkBeard
Aug 26, 2003

Also,

Sweevo posted:

i know a UDP joke but you might not get it

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

StinkBeard posted:

They all took "y'all" literally. If the first one didn't want a drink the answer would be no. The second one understood that, but didn't know what the third one would answer. The third one could infer what the first two wanted so he answered for all of them.

That's my unfunny explanation of a joke that's sperg-funny, a subset of all funny jokes.

Yes, that's the joke.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ADINSX posted:

Yes, that's the joke.

Clever!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

When I was told the joke they were "logicians" which makes the punchline a bit easier to get but I changed them to "programmers" because funny computer forum

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I'm sure everyone in YOSPOS has heard this but regardless: When Swiss computer scientist Niklaus Wirth was asked about his name, he replied that Europeans could pronounce it properly, but Americans tended to say "Nickels Worth". He explained "In Europe I'm called by name and in America I'm called by value" :haw:

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Agile Vector posted:

he quit by mistake
the accounting app he wrote?
broke. off by one

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ADINSX posted:

I'm sure everyone in YOSPOS has heard this but regardless: When Swiss computer scientist Niklaus Wirth was asked about his name, he replied that Europeans could pronounce it properly, but Americans tended to say "Nickels Worth". He explained "In Europe I'm called by name and in America I'm called by value" :haw:

I had not heard this, thank u for the lol

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

OldAlias posted:

multiple, equally unfunny interpretations

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
code:
void CallFunction(string text1) {
    if (!String.IsNullorEmpty(text1) != true && String.IsNullorEmpty(text1) == false)
        //Phew, we're ok to proceed
        bool flag = false;
        CallDatabase(flag);
}

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

ADINSX posted:

I'm sure this is totally real and not completely invented bullshit. Totally make sense since an obvious variation of Nicholaus would be completely foreign.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

wide stance posted:

I'm sure this is totally real and not completely invented bullshit. Totally make sense since an obvious variation of Nicholaus would be completely foreign.

get out of yospos

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Gazpacho posted:

pls don't post explicit boolean expressions without a trigger warning

use of real_escape_string_we_fixed_it_this_time_honest() is the bigger crime

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/legacy_coder/status/880803284864434176

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:lol: the number of likes.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

code:
shell_exec("rm -rf $_GET['d']")
code:
 $_GET['d']
:staredog:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

jre posted:

code:
shell_exec("rm -rf $_GET['d']")
code:
 $_GET['d']
:staredog:

I didn't even know what language this was till I looked at that lol. Fukkin PHP ofc

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

loving :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

• Locked thread