Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i buy a lot of books that i dont read, but i opened this rwemerson compilation because it was by my door and i put it in the pocket of my cargo shorts before i went to work

it had some stuff about how writing makes you share a mind with other people even dead ones

knowledge is power

what books have you bought that you haven't read i made a list of mine it doesn't include the remington book i just bought that one

this list leaves out college textbooks i didn't sell back because i dont sell any of them back because i am a hoarder of book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - I know that wasn't emerson but it's still a good quote. Maybe read the divinity school address?

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I have a copy of Le Morte d'Arthur that a friend of mine gave me for my birthday earlier this month and a bunch of technical manuals on military tactics that I scavenged from a dead scientists library. I believe those are the only books I own that I haven't actually read.

No, wait. I own a copy of "The Song Of Roland" and I haven't read that either.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Barris posted:

I have a copy of Le Morte d'Arthur that a friend of mine gave me for my birthday earlier this month and a bunch of technical manuals on military tactics that I scavenged from a dead scientists library. I believe those are the only books I own that I haven't actually read.

No, wait. I own a copy of "The Song Of Roland" and I haven't read that either.

You should read the Song of Roland if you want to understand contemporary european politics

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer
ralph emerson was tragically famous before his time

he could have tore down so much hippy nature new age sliz in the 1960s he would have been most of our uncles

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did you guys know that the communist manifesto is only like 40 pages long?

i finished that one. it's p miuch "your boss owns you. your landlord owns you. you will make someone else money or you will starve"

yeah

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Read Snow Crash, then C++ Primer.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I like keeping big and smart sounding books around my place in easily visible places

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Harald posted:

You should read the Song of Roland if you want to understand contemporary european politics
I'm more interested in understanding the European politics of antiquity. The modern day is too tragi-comic for me.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Barris posted:

I'm more interested in understanding the European politics of antiquity. The modern day is too tragi-comic for me.

im fascinated by roman lore. like their spells and stuff

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If they asked me to address a college class I would tell them that they are stupid millennials who don't know real work from a spongebob cartoon

Jim Barris posted:

spoiler alert: they're the same thing

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Mein Kampf eh? D&D is probably mobilizing a task force as we speak

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

de_dust posted:

I like keeping big and smart sounding books around my place in easily visible places

like 12 of the books on my list are those barnes and noble special editions with the leather covers and foil stamped labels and gilded edges and ribbon bookmarks because i am a weak man

im like those people that buy every apple product except with ribbon bookmarks

Rasta_Al posted:

Mein Kampf eh? D&D is probably mobilizing a task force as we speak

hey mein k could be lots of things

it is mein kempf, i had the idea that people should be 'familiar with the words and methods of history's most succesful demagogue' and it should be required reading in high school or something, then i thought that i should really know exactly what is in the book before i make a statement like that so i bought a copy of it

i havent read it

hide it when my mom visits

no one else visits

ArgumentatumE.C.T. fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 1, 2017

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

did you guys know that the communist manifesto is only like 40 pages long?

i finished that one. it's p miuch "your boss owns you. your landlord owns you. you will make someone else money or you will starve"

yeah
thanks for the synopsis on the ancient pamphlet you read. a manifesto is meant to be a short political summary by definition so its brevity is neither unexpected nor comical

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

im fascinated by roman lore. like their spells and stuff
That's not easy information to track down, what's a good primary source? Have you read The Golden rear end? Can you tell me how to turn a man into a donkey?

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GUYS STOP posted:

thanks for the synopsis on the ancient pamphlet you read. a manifesto is meant to be a short political summary by definition so its brevity is neither unexpected nor comical

well la dee da look at this guy over here that actually reads the poo poo he buys

la dee freakin da, y'all

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

GUYS STOP posted:

thanks for the synopsis on the ancient pamphlet you read. a manifesto is meant to be a short political summary by definition so it's brevity is unsurprising

No one likes you

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Barris posted:

That's not easy information to track down, what's a good primary source? Have you read The Golden rear end? Can you tell me how to turn a man into a donkey?

i could,but wont

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rasta_Al posted:

No one likes you

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

well la dee da look at this guy over here that actually reads the poo poo he buys

la dee freakin da, y'all
if you're going do dismiss a statment without any backing facts the new modern presidentialy approved way to do that is to call the stament "Fake News" The Lah-dee stuff is pretty close to the presidential house style but is a waste of characters. Think about your response on a 160 char headline space.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

i could,but wont
a Haitian man told me once that if you bury a dogs skull under someones house you can curse them to have nightmares but that it's necessary that you kill the dog yourself.

He also instructed me in other Voudon mysteries but I choose not to share them with you.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the unabomber manifesto was pretty long. am i to believe the unabomber didnt know his manifesto had to be short. am i believe that a man of the unabombers intellect and training would not know about appropriate length in a manifesto. it seems to me that a manifesto is whatever you loving make of it

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GUYS STOP posted:

if you're going do dismiss a statment without any backing facts the new modern presidentialy approved way to do that is to call the stament "Fake News" The Lah-dee stuff is pretty close to the presidential house style but is a waste of characters. Think about your response on a 160 char headline space.

choke on your own piss nerd

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Barris posted:

a Haitian man told me once that if you bury a dogs skull under someones house you can curse them to have nightmares but that it's necessary that you kill the dog yourself.

a lot of rich haitains probably hired help to do it and the slave lying with their wife was left uncursed. its a good requirement for the success of the curse/hex. i never told u any roman spells. and i wont. u offered one up without me giving u anyhing in return or beforehand, like its a quid pro quo with out the quid or whatever my side of it is

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

a lot of rich haitains probably hired help to do it and the slave lying with their wife was left uncursed. its a good requirement for the success of the curse/hex. i never told u any roman spells. and i wont. u offered one up without me giving u anyhing in return or beforehand, like its a quid pro quo with out the quid or whatever my side of it is
I didn't expect anything I just thought you'd enjoy that.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Barris posted:

I didn't expect anything I just thought you'd enjoy that.

i had a dream i was cursed the other night. a woman gave me a small human being that struggled really violently in my hands then disppeared, cursing me

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

i had a dream i was cursed the other night. a woman gave me a small human being that struggled really violently in my hands then disppeared, cursing me
That is worrying. My dreams are so pedestrian in comparison. Last night I had a dream that implied that cocaine and by extension drugs in general were my only respite from my cowardly heart. I was cursed by a needle some years ago and even if I have won the battle in my waking life, for now, in my dreams it still taunts me. It whispers to me 'You know the truth, Jim, you know that it's a coward that lives inside you and I was all that gave you courage'. It wishes to see me miserable then broken and then, finally, in a grave.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

choke on your own piss nerd
please stop with the trump references

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Burroughs viewed the opiate as a sentient mystical force that acted with malice. It desires total and complete stasis according to him. I'm inclined to agree.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

Jim Barris posted:

That is worrying. My dreams are so pedestrian in comparison. Last night I had a dream that implied that cocaine and by extension drugs in general were my only respite from my cowardly heart. I was cursed by a needle some years ago and even if I have won the battle in my waking life, for now, in my dreams it still taunts me. It whispers to me 'You know the truth, Jim, you know that it's a coward that lives inside you and I was all that gave you courage'. It wishes to see me miserable then broken and then, finally, in a grave.

Drugs are hell. Good luck with your sobriety friend

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Jim Barris posted:

Burroughs viewed the opiate as a sentient mystical force that acted with malice. It desires total and complete stasis according to him. I'm inclined to agree.

DMT: The Spirit Molecule

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GUYS STOP posted:

DMT: The Spirit Molecule

is that the one with that rogen guy in a lab coat saying retarded poo poo about drugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
no thats gravity's rainbow

• Locked thread