Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

RabidWeasel posted:

It seems really unfortunate having all of those long monster synthesis chains which you don't really need even to finish the hardest postgame content. Do the later games in the series have tougher challenges to take on?

I can't speak for any games post-Joker 2, since they're all exclusive to Japan, but that game has a few post-game challenges that are at least a little harder than this game. Then Joker 2 Pro came along and added even more, but that's another story. I think the current difficulty level of the postgame is good enough, honestly, because I don't think I fully got across how absolutely dull those long synthesis chains are.

Let's say you want to do a chain with just three generations, and you start on Domus Isle. You start with your four wild monsters, which are already above level 10. You've got to make sure you scout two positives and two negatives. Then, when you synthesise them, you have to start from scratch with two level 1 monsters. You then have to take the warp to Tartarus from the Domus Isle pier, go in, fight some monsters to get to level 10 or above, Zoom back to Domus, and synthesise them together to get what you want.

That's only if you want the monster and don't care about stats, of course. Because the current stats of component monsters go towards the result's stats in synthesis, it's best to only synthesise at the level cap. And heaven forbid if you want to scout something on another island, because your only option is walking all the way there. Remember, Zoom only transports you to the last scoutpost used.

Edit: Also, don't forget that I cheesed Estark with Weakening Wallop. He's hard enough with it, let alone without it.

Epicmissingno fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Mar 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dragonatrix posted:

So, in order to obtain the rewards for all monsters you need to obtain the reward for all skills first. But to do so requires the reward for all monsters because of Crusader, which you cannot get because it requires the reward for all skills. That you cannot get because...
Sure you can! You just have to place in the top 100 or whatever of the weekly wifi tournaments (yes, you had to actually do well, not just enter) to get the monster as a prize.

...nevermind that they shut those down half a decade ago or whatever at this point and clearly had no alternate plan to hand those monsters out, ever.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Sure you can! You just have to place in the top 100 or whatever of the weekly wifi tournaments (yes, you had to actually do well, not just enter) to get the monster as a prize.

...nevermind that they shut those down half a decade ago or whatever at this point and clearly had no alternate plan to hand those monsters out, ever.

And even then you couldn't get the reward for all monsters because Robbin' Hood was never a Wifi tournament prize. The whole thing is a bit of a farce.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Making Robbin' Hood require Robbin' Hood is the most stupid thing. I get it was likely a programming error but you'd think they'd realize or try to fix it, but no, gently caress you, 100% completion is literally impossible, lol.

snohax
May 30, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

It seems really unfortunate having all of those long monster synthesis chains which you don't really need even to finish the hardest postgame content. Do the later games in the series have tougher challenges to take on?

I can confirm that the 3DS remakes of the original GBC games have fairly demanding postgames. Terry's Wonderland 3D stands out in particular, as rival scouts in that game will outright cheat by having monsters who can jump to 25 or 100 tension in a single action, or who use top-tier spells without having the detrimental traits those abilities are gated behind*. The thing is, even with all that there's never really a situation where you absolutely need to go deep into the crazy synthesis chains of boss monsters. The later games add extra mechanics to synthesis that allow you to increase stat caps or change certain traits around, meaning you can take any combination of monsters through the post game if you're willing to experience grind for a few generations. This isn't nearly as bad as it sounds, since the games always provide at least one convenient location full of Liquid Metal Slimes.

Even that isn't necessary, though. While most postgame bosses are immune to status effects like sleep or paralysis, they're usually vulnerable to stat debuffs, allowing you to severely nerf their defenses or damage, like EpicMissingno did to Estark. If that isn't enough, you can use the various sealing skills to shut down their best moves. If they're immune to those, you can instead fall back on one of the Fog abilities, which are field spells that stop a certain type of skill (spells, slashes, etc.) for both teams and cannot be resisted.

Of course, if you want to outright break the game, you can not bother with any of the above, and instead teach a monster from the metal slime family Scapegoat, which causes the caster to be the target of all damage and effects directed at the party. Congratulations, your party is now Practically Invincible. There's several ways around this strategy, but outside of a lucky crit (which you can prevent with Critical Miss :science:) the AI tends to be hopeless at dealing with it.

Generally the only reason to ever go for the unique synthesis monsters are the named skill sets, since there's usually a few that wind up being top-tier in competitive play. Well, that and the cool factor of having Akira Toriyama boss monsters on your team, and that should be all the reason you need. :colbert:

*TW3D changed skill sets so that in order to learn skills like Gigagash or Omniheal, you had to first learn one of several traits which, for example, would cause your monster to do literally nothing on all even-numbered rounds. Yes, it was terrible, and they promptly dropped it for the sequel.

Epicmissingno posted:

Remember, Zoom only transports you to the last scoutpost used.

Oh wow, I forgot that was a thing. Thankfully the later games made getting around much more convenient with multiple Zoom locations, better hub worlds, or both.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I love how the darkonium slime has a special note on it that it doesn't count as a crystal for tournament purposes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Huh, thanks for the LP of this odd game.

Also wow at making the game literally impossible to 100% without cheating. :psyduck:

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Hope you're moving on to 2. The new species and early (potential) access to metal slimes, as well as the super bosses, gives the wandering around part a bit more fun.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Chronische posted:

Hope you're moving on to 2. The new species and early (potential) access to metal slimes, as well as the super bosses, gives the wandering around part a bit more fun.

I was actually thinking of doing DQ9 next. Suicidal, I know.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Bonus: The Longest Synthesis Chain

I know I said I was done, but here, have one one final thing. This is the nonsense you need to go through to get Dr Snapped, now in graph form! It cuts off at monsters you can get in the wild or through generic synthesis, or ones whose recipes are already accounted for somewhere.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Epicmissingno posted:

I was actually thinking of doing DQ9 next. Suicidal, I know.

Bleh. Didn't like that one too much - not so much a step down from 8 as a waterslide.

Love the double and triple size monsters. Wish they'd increased the team size from 3 to 4 or even 6, giving you still a bit more potential variety, but oh well.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Well, it was nice knowing this thread, but it's time to say goodbye. And now, on to the next!

...Eventually. It might take a while to get prepared for this one.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

I thought I'd let everyone know that this Let's Play has just been archived! Hooray!

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Just read this on the archive over the past day and saw the thread was still open and wanted to congratulate you.

I got like halfway through the game(The start of Vert Island) a decade ago but my general disinterest in generic units made me stop playing. Was very interesting seeing the game all the way through. Might join in if I see you 9/Joker 2 when you decide 9 is too suicidal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

MythosDragon posted:

Just read this on the archive over the past day and saw the thread was still open and wanted to congratulate you.

I got like halfway through the game(The start of Vert Island) a decade ago but my general disinterest in generic units made me stop playing. Was very interesting seeing the game all the way through. Might join in if I see you 9/Joker 2 when you decide 9 is too suicidal.

Oh, thanks! I just realised I completely forgot to plug the DQ9 thread here when I started it up, so here it is. And now to close the thread.

• Locked thread