Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
We are halfway through the PSP Awards year (and 7 months through the Observer year) so let's go over some of our award front runners and hot takes!

Most Outstanding Wrestler

1. Okada
2. KUSHIDA
3. Rush

Okada is obvious, he's had incredible matches pretty much every time he's main evented.

KUSHIDA is a bit less obvious but he had the benefit of BOTSJ coming in the first half and G1 in the second half. That fantastic tournament to me puts him right behind Okada. When you factor in opportunity costs (he doesn't get the time and booking importance Okada's matches get) he has a very real argument for the best in the world.

Rush is a bit of a hot take, but he's had a fantastic year. He is never put in the position to have the kinds of matches Okada has. When he does get a top tier singles opponent he doesn't get as much time, but what he's done with the time and opponents he gets is fantastic. His brawls with LA Park are must see, captivating stuff. He had the best singles match anyone has had with Mr. Niebla in ages. He's had two really good matches with Atlantis. He has elevated a bunch of ordinary Puebla and Arena Mexico mains and semi mains by sheer charisma and he's given a gently caress more often than not this year. I'm a big believer in the guys who do more with less and Rush has done a ton with way less than NJPW or WWE main eventers.

Match of the Year

1. Okada vs Omega (Dominion)
2. Okada vs Shibata
3. Reyes Del Aire
4. Ospreay vs Jay White
5. Okada vs Suzuki

I thought the draw at Dominion was better than the Dome match which I thought was MOTY caliber, but not the best match I'd ever seen. The draw was in that territory. So was the Shibata match, tragic as it was. I know it's almost blasphemy to put it here to some, but it was amazing. Tragic and amazing. I wanted to keep it off but I just keep thinking about it, so it stays. Reyes Del Aire was such a great spectacle, the Will/Jay match was the perfect 13 minute match and Okada vs Suzuki was easily my favorite Suzuki match of all time. Okada's selling was out of this world.

Best Technical Wrestler

KUSHIDA

I have been on this bandwagon for a few years but I think now people are starting to come around. Of course the rope break in the Ishii/ZSJ match might make people forget. KUSHIDA is such a great technical wrestler. His grappling is just out of this world. It helps that he did MMA, because he's one of the few juniors who uses submissions in a way that doesn't feel forced.

Feud of the Year

Rush vs LA Park

Okada vs Omega doesn't strike me as a feud, and it can't touch the heat this has. Their matches feel like they actually hate each other. To the point they hijacked a tag match to brawl and left their partners hanging out in the ring with nothing to do. It's a shame this can't end the way it deserves to with a Hair vs Mask match in Arena Mexico.

Best Brawlers

*See above*

Best Weekly Show
CMLL Arena Puebla. This week's show was pretty bad but Puebla went from something I'd skip most weeks, then go to bed during the semis to watching the whole show every week. The quality of the semi and mains has been quite good most weeks and the booking feels less cheap than usual too. Police Man's hair feud helped too.

Best Major Show
NJPW G1 Special Night 2

This didn't have the most star rating stars of any show but it was perfectly paced. Lots of different feeling matches with nothing out staying its welcome.

Best High Flyer
Dragon Lee. I don't know what else to say he's incredible.

Worst Match of the Year
Volador Jr. vs Yoshitatsu

If it wasn't for this match I'd be arguing for Volador Jr. as a Most Outstanding candidate. Volador Jr just gives up halfway through because Yoshitatsu is garbage and half asses it the rest of the way.

Worst Feud of the Year
Pierroth vs Diamante Azul

Bray vs Randy has a legitimate argument to be worse but these two had so many different matches and they were all garbage until the blow off which was merely not bad. And then they teased the feud going on for a couple more weeks with more garbage matches! A war crime of a feud.

So go ahead and post whatever categories you want. Promo of the year, segment of the year, rookie of the year, whatever! I posted what I had interest in so go nuts. Talk about whatever matches you loved and matches you hated, dudes who suck, whatever happened in the first half of the year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think Randy vs Jinder should be in the running for worst feud too, if only because it's almost exactly the same match structure every single time and it was pretty awful the 1st time let alone the 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

KUSHIDA is great but I think the only person who stands a chance of touching Okada as Most Outstanding Wrestler this year has to be Kenny.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jinder and Randy have been bad but Alexa/Bayley has been just next level bad and probably is worst feud of the year given the badness, how it killed Bayley.

Okada has Wrestler of the year locked up and Kenny is probably second. Third is a wide open race and all the guys listed have very legit cases...

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Obviously this is my mid-year impressions, and things will change when it comes to actual WON voting. But here's what I got so far.

Lou Thesz/Ric Flair Award (Wrestler of the Year)

1. Kazuchika Okada
2. Kenny Omega
3. Hiromu Takahashi

1. Kazuchika Okada
2. Hiromu Takahashi
3. KUSHIDA

Feud of the Year

1. KUSHIDA vs. Hiromu Takahashi
2. Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega
3. Brock Lesnar vs. Goldberg

Tag Team of the Year

1. The Young Bucks
2. #DIY
3. War Machine

Most Improved

1. Braun Strowman
2. Juice Robinson
3. The Authors of Pain

Best on Interviews

1. Hiromu Takahashi
2. Samoa Joe
3. Kenny Omega

Most Charismatic

1. Hiromu Takahashi
2. Kenny Omega
3. Goldberg

Best Technical Wrestler

1. KUSHIDA
2. Zack Sabre Jr.
3. Marty Scurll

Best Brawler

1. Samoa Joe
2. Sami Callihan
3. Tomorhio Ishii

Best Flying Wrestler

1.KUSHIDA
2. Hiromu Takahashi
3. Will Ospreay

Most Overrated

1. Bray Wyatt
2. Randy Orton
3. Jinder Mahal

Most Underrated

1. Gran Metalik
2. Luke Harper
3. Cedric Alexander

Match of the Year

1. Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega, NJPW Dominion
2. Kazuchika Okada vs. Katsuyori Shibata, NJPW Sakura Genesis
3. Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11

Best Non-Wrestler

1. Daryl
2. Daryl
3. Seriously it's loving Daryl let's make this happen

Best TV announcer

1. Corey Graves
2. Mauro Ranallo
3. Nigel McGuinness

Best Weekly TV Show

1. CMLL Friday nights
2. NJPW on AXS
3. WWE SmackDown Live

Worst TV announcer

1. Percy Watson
2. Matt Striker
3. JBL

Best Major Wrestling Show

1. NJPW Dominion
2. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
3. NXT TakeOver Chicago

Worst Major Wrestling Show

1. WWE Backlash

Best Wrestling Maneuver

1. Kenny Omega's One Winged Angel

Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic

1. WWE celebrating Jimmy Snuka in video packages

Worst Television Show

1. WWE Raw

Worst Match of the Year

1. Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton House of Horrors, WWE Payback

Worst Feud of the Year

1. Cedric Alexander vs. Noam Dar & Alicia Fox

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 8, 2017

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I forgot the most important awards

Best Non Wrestler

KEMONITO

How he doesn't get recognition is awful. He's one of the most over acts in CMLL, his skits are always entertaining and he's so popular that fans have been begging for mascot matches for years, which led to...

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

MICRO MAN

The son of Kemonito who debuted, sold out Arena Mexico and had a match that shamed WeeLC.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Jinder is winning most overrated and its not going to be close

I cant be sure its an improvement because of not being able to follow cmll but Hiromu Takahashi - i gave no fucks about when he was Kamaitachi and now hes a 5 star machine ever since becoming The Time Bomb

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

Jinder is winning most overrated and its not going to be close

I cant be sure its an improvement because of not being able to follow cmll but Hiromu Takahashi - i gave no fucks about when he was Kamaitachi and now hes a 5 star machine ever since becoming The Time Bomb

He was equally as good last year.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

MassRafTer posted:

He was equally as good last year.

It is bias on my part, i have flashbacks to NJPW hyping the Time Bomb and hope it was Minoru Suzuki, then it was Hiromu and everyone deflated because who cares about Hiromu. Now he's a charismatic top guy and superstar without question.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Lid posted:

It is bias on my part, i have flashbacks to NJPW hyping the Time Bomb and hope it was Minoru Suzuki, then it was Hiromu and everyone deflated because who cares about Hiromu. Now he's a charismatic top guy and superstar without question.

plz go watch all the Kamaitachi Vs Dragon Lee matches from CMLL

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

People are extremely stupid and wanted the same old poo poo instead of the new hotness. His series with Dragon Lee was heralded for the last two years, there was a fair amount of excitement for him in ROH (and to face Dragon Lee even if they didn't do much with him there) and he started the year with a MOTYC with KUSHIDA. He was that good. Luckily His CMLL stuff is on youtube!

Hiromu was a definite candidate for Most Underrated of 2016.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 8, 2017

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Jinder shouldn't be near Most Overrated when Randy has been phoning it in all year and has done Jinder absolutely no favors in trying to get him over.

Jinder probably shouldn't be in the spot he's in but I'm glad at the very least an attempt has been made to elevate someone who hasn't either already been champion or spent a decade on the indies.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CubsWoo posted:

Jinder shouldn't be near Most Overrated when Randy has been phoning it in all year and has done Jinder absolutely no favors in trying to get him over.

Jinder probably shouldn't be in the spot he's in but I'm glad at the very least an attempt has been made to elevate someone who hasn't either already been champion or spent a decade on the indies.

Given the Randy/Jinder matches have been reviewed to be "decent" to "pretty good" by most I'd say Randy is working pretty hard.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jinder/Randy isn't the greatest but it's far from the worst WWE has produced this year with House of Horrors and Alexa/Bayley

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

You could make a case for Brock Lesnar as Most Overrated this year.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
MRT, I know there are some lucha guys that you talk up as being on the level of New Japan's best, if not better. I wanna say it's the current Dragon Lee, the current Mistico, and Rush? Do I got that right, and if so, what are some matches with them that I should check out? I've seen three matches between Dragon Lee and Hiromu (two in Japan and one in Mexico when Hiromu was still Kamaitachi), and nothing really from the other two. I ask because like, I feel like I ought to see stuff that's getting praised that highly before I shoot my mouth off about who's been "the best" this year

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Rush vs LA Park

I can't think of any matches in particular but the two have had some of the best brawls in the last year.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jenny Angel posted:

MRT, I know there are some lucha guys that you talk up as being on the level of New Japan's best, if not better. I wanna say it's the current Dragon Lee, the current Mistico, and Rush? Do I got that right, and if so, what are some matches with them that I should check out? I've seen three matches between Dragon Lee and Hiromu (two in Japan and one in Mexico when Hiromu was still Kamaitachi), and nothing really from the other two. I ask because like, I feel like I ought to see stuff that's getting praised that highly before I shoot my mouth off about who's been "the best" this year

Rush vs Maximo Sexy (Fan Cam) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7-lYJy3i1E

The Leyenda De Plata Match (Mistico vs Dragón Lee, Volador Jr., La Máscara, Titán, Mephisto, Tritón, Cavernario, Guerrero Maya Jr., Ripper, The Panther, Virus) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBJnbdeh0So

Plus the aforementioned LA Park vs Rush.

Just thinking back Ultimo Guerrero may deserve even more consideration than the guys I mentioned as he's been in a number of high level matches. For lucha I don't think you can judge based on one or two matches. What impresses me is seeing guys work the same buildings every week, often in very similar matches (sometimes with garbage finishes) and still have good to great matches in their sleep. But there's definitely some MOTYC level stuff too

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

super macho dude posted:

You could make a case for Brock Lesnar as Most Overrated this year.

This will probably go down as his best year since returning, so I don't see that happening

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
With (at least) three Omega vs Okada matches this year, is there any chance it doesn't win because of how the vote gets split?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mkay0 posted:

With (at least) three Omega vs Okada matches this year, is there any chance it doesn't win because of how the vote gets split?

No because MOTY is ranked choice voting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Lou Thesz/Ric Flair Award (Wrestler of the Year)

1. Okada
2. Omega
3. Takahashi

1. Omega
2. Okada
3. Travis Banks

Feud of the Year

1. Okada vs Omega
2. British Strong Style vs CCK
3. MaxiMuM vs Jimmyz

Tag Team of the Year