Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
Problem description: I told the computer to update and restart last night and it went to just a black screen. After 20 minutes I rebooted with the power button and after a few false starts, windows came up. However, everything was sized at 1680 x 1050 (as it should) but it was blurry. Eventually I was able to figure out that it wasn't seeing the video card, even though the monitor was still plugged in via that. Now I can get into Windows at the proper resolution with the onboard graphics only if I take the video card out. If It's in, with the monitor connected to it or to the motherboard, I just get no signal to the monitor when I try booting.

Attempted fixes: I tried using GeForce Experience to update the video card drivers, but then it restarted itself and never woke up. When I tried using the Experience to update while plugged in through the motherboard, it says it can't install the drivers since it can't detect any relevant hardware.

Unfortunately, I don't have another video card I can try plugging in or another PC to try testing this card with.

I can try reinstalling Windows, but would obviously prefer not to do that.

Recent changes: Nothing other than trying to update Windows

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64

System specs: Home-built: i5-4690K, in an MSI Z97S. 8 GB RAM. XFX TS 550 PSU. 2 Samsung SSDs and a few HDDs. The video card is a Gigabyte GTX 970

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Remove the videocard and connect your monitor to the onboard video. Uninstall all nVidia software, reboot, and run Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the remnants, then download the latest driver package from nVidia. Shut down, reinstall the card, reconnect the power cables and the monitor to it, then boot back up and install the drivers.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Alereon posted:

Remove the videocard and connect your monitor to the onboard video. Uninstall all nVidia software, reboot, and run Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the remnants, then download the latest driver package from nVidia. Shut down, reinstall the card, reconnect the power cables and the monitor to it, then boot back up and install the drivers.

OK. I'm about to try this. When I boot it after reinstalling the card, what should I plug the monitor into?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The card, it should run with basic windows drivers.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
OK, just wanted to make sure.

So, on first attempt, no signal was sent to the monitor. Then, for fun, I switched which monitor port I was using on the card and this time it seems to be working. Kind of weird, but I'll take what I can get.

Thanks.

• Locked thread