Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I consider myself a rather large fan of citrusy pies (also I couldn't find a pie/dessert thread in my cursory look of the first couple pages; forgive me if I missed it!)-- the lemon meringue and key lime, and if we're ordering dessert and wherever we are has it that's what I'm getting (key lime over lemon). Recently, I thought I'd try my hand at making one homemade since I consider my self a rather decent (if simple) cook/baker. The thing that pretty much all key lime recipes seem to agree upon, though, is to include rather copious amounts of sweetened condensed milk (something that's apparently what key lime pie is meant to use up, historically based on one account)-- which tends to leave a weird 'baby food' [after]taste to it that I've never tasted in any of the restaurant/store-bought key lime pies I've had. What am I missing in the general recipe of:

Sweetened Condensed Milk (usually one can)
4-6 Egg Yolks
8-12 oz Key Lim Juice

all in a pastry or graham crust

Does unsweetened condensed milk exist? Are there recipes with just regular milk and sugar that you simmer down a bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Just use cream, my dude

or dudette in this case??

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Evaporated milk is actually the exact subsitute but seriously try heavy cream

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Use cream, or make lime curd instead.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Dudette, and thanks ill give cream/evaped milk a shot here.

thanks dudette and dude(ette?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
use milk instead of sweetened condensed milk; it's less cloying

• Locked thread