Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

rudatron posted:

Does he want to come to the event out of curiosity or just to doxx people/poo poo stir? Because 90%of the time it's the later.

Also Kudaros, you don't have to give a poo poo about 'professional activists', you're doing the right thing by telling them to gently caress off, if you're not seeing a payoff. Guilt-tripping/shaming/call-out is simply a tactic they're using, to get what they want selfishly for themselves. It doesn't actually mean society as a whole is going to be better off, if just let them order you around.

I see your point re:doxxing, but looking over the Facebook this kid honestly seemed like they didn't know what words mean.

After a conversation yesterday I get the sense that our refusal to participate in performative aspect is really what got to them. I'm not worried about it. There's millions of people out there who have never heard, nor ever will this stuff. That's why it's so ineffective.

As far as increasing the profile of left-wing activism, I guess I agree though I'd take issue with the word "Activism". But if a tactic sucks and I know it, I will not participate. If your tactic does the opposite of increasing that profile, and instead makes people think you as a nuisance while also not credibly challenging the powers that be, then it was a waste of time.

Anyway the point is that the analysis that drove people to demand we stop what we were doing and instead do this is fueled by an articulation of privilege politics that boils down to race essentialism. It's why the discussion of tactics was never even brought to our table -- "white allies need to fall in line" were the words used. When that allyship is performative and detrimental to the other thing we are working on -- a project serving mostly poor PoC, by the way -- then it's just not happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Another bump but Nagel has another interview with Doug Lain. I listen to the Zero Books podcast a fair bit and it does seem like he references KAN & Capitalist Realism constantly. He's really going to the bat for Nagel and her book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA02FVFxdYQ

I'm not sure if the interview says anything really new that Nagel & Lain haven't said before nor anything you couldn't glean from the book or other articles, except stating explicitly that 'weird niche internet subcultures' don't represent the broader offline/not extremely online left much and there's a bit of kvetching about 'dumb' reviews.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
literally listening to that right now.

<3 Angela Nagle

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I dunno, I haven't read some of Nagle's earlier works but this podcast is pretty good in getting her to state explicitly what she thinks. It's very good.

I will say though, she might be frustrated by people misinterpreting her statements about MGTOW and the alt-right being frustrated sexless dudes, but I think that's because of the editing and her writing in that section as much as anything else.

That being said there was still a ton of seemingly intentional misreadings of her work; it's nice to see some of these smaller reviewers get put on blast for being more interested in consistency of tone than consistency of thought/argument.

• Locked thread