Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i upgraded my PC recently, and i'm in the mood for a dungeon crawling game: leveling a character, exploring stuff, finding items. is there anything released recently that fits that bill? i haven't kept up with recent PC releases due to my computer being dogshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Legend of Grimrock is pretty good

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
Darkest Dungeon is pretty cool.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Legend of Grimrock 2 is good. I'm assuming the first one is the same but with less (?) stuff in it but I haven't played it

efb

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

also recommending darkest dungeon, it's loving cool and really well made

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Darkest Dungeon is good yeah. I think caves of qud is good but it's more of a roguelike.

Both legends of grimrock games are like playing modern Ultima. They're great

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Starcrawlers is meant to be good in a Grimrock vein I think?

there's a bunch recently but my mind's going blank lol.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
path of exile

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
turns out i bought grimrock 2 about 4 years ago, before my (then) gaming rig died. so that's cool.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

play temple of elemental evil with the circle of 8 mod or wizardry 6/7 is my recomendation, op.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Wizardry 6 is great, not good. Not recent either. But it's great.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

mysterious loyall X posted:

play temple of elemental evil with the circle of 8 mod or wizardry 6/7 is my recomendation, op.

oh yeah, TOEE has been on my list for a while...

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I need to try some of the wizardry games. I had 8 as a kid but was terrible at games so I never got past the first dungeon where I got repeatedly owned by spiders

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is awesome.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

oh yeah, TOEE has been on my list for a while...

I'll echo that recommendation, it's a game I come back to every few years or so. You NEED the Co8 mod though, the vanilla game is really buggy.

PaulMorel
Oct 16, 2008

Azraelle posted:

I'll echo that recommendation, it's a game I come back to every few years or so. You NEED the Co8 mod though, the vanilla game is really buggy.

I wanted to play this game for a long time but the first town always bored me to death. Should I play it with bugfixes only or with added content? I don't want retarded quests and overpowered items.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

PaulMorel posted:

I wanted to play this game for a long time but the first town always bored me to death. Should I play it with bugfixes only or with added content? I don't want retarded quests and overpowered items.

The start is slow, but it gets pretty great once you get into the first real dungeon and on to the second town. The extra content makes you more overpowered, and it's fan made, so the quality is hit-and-miss. I recommend just playing with the alternative starting quest and humble npcs, which shouldn't spoil things too much.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Grimrock 2 is really, really good so far. i'm sorry i waited so long to play it.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

it's okay, I forgive you

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Grimoire

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

Starcrawlers is kinda like grimrock but in space with weird, interesting classes. I think I like it so far.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Skyrim.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Larry Parrish posted:

Darkest Dungeon is good yeah. I think caves of qud is good but it's more of a roguelike.

Both legends of grimrock games are like playing modern Ultima. They're great

I can vouch for Caves of Qud. Its actively in development but totally playable. It gets updates every Friday with loads (usually) of new stuff and the developers are super friendly and are on SA. It's a rogue-like though but still, you should give it a shot.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i cant play it but caves of qud has a lot of very neat poo poo in it, but thats definitely for more hardcore roguelike fans

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i did the thing i did in the first grimrock, where i was super into it for two weeks, and then fell off about half way through

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like Darkest Dungeon a lot because it sort of gives you that "everything can go to poo poo at any moment" roguelike or XCOM feeling but unless you play on the highest difficulty you can never actually lose. No matter how bad things get you can always claw your way back up.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

extremebuff posted:

i cant play it but caves of qud has a lot of very neat poo poo in it, but thats definitely for more hardcore roguelike fans

Caves of Qud is the first roguelike I ever got into. The learning curve is steep and the difficulty is brutal but the payoff is sooo sweeet. The sense of accomplishment is real.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

sector_corrector posted:

i did the thing i did in the first grimrock, where i was super into it for two weeks, and then fell off about half way through

Same. Loved everything about it except for the movement (not the turn/grid based part, thats fine in concept, but grimrock felt really sluggish in that respect) and played the F out of it for like, a week and just completely stopped cold turkey one day. IDK why. Maybe I'll get back to it one of these days and oh I'm talking about Grimrock 2 not the first one

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

got to the final boss of grimrock 2 and ggot frustrated by how hard he was and how much i disliked the combat, so i youtubed the ending and havent booted it up since. imo that counts as beating it, getting there was the fun part

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I liked everything about grimrock except the idiotic conga dancing combat. I don't care if eye of the beholder did it too. gently caress you. I still need to play the second one though. Is that space grimrock game good

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Fungah! posted:

got to the final boss of grimrock 2 and ggot frustrated by how hard he was and how much i disliked the combat, so i youtubed the ending and havent booted it up since. imo that counts as beating it, getting there was the fun part

The actual final boss or just the one on top of the castle? Cause they're both huge pains in the dick but I have to count the 'secret' boss as a little bit worse.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Crimson Harvest posted:

The actual final boss or just the one on top of the castle? Cause they're both huge pains in the dick but I have to count the 'secret' boss as a little bit worse.

actual final boss, the guy on top of th castle wasnt too bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Fungah! posted:

actual final boss, the guy on top of th castle wasnt too bad

I played the game a second time last year, and built the party specifically to stay alive in that fight. Getting that shitshow as a 'prize' for figuring out the puzzle when you can't possibly anticipate what it's gonna be like is rough.

• Locked thread