Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

NOW AVAILABLE ON PC THROUGH ARC GAMES (NO LONGER A WINDOWS 10 EXCLUSIVE) & XBOX ONE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QG6KS3e-54

What’s Gigantic?

Gigantic is a free-to-play shooter notMOBA for Windows and Xbox One, developed by Motiga. After being hailed as real pretty during some of its first showings at PAX all the way back in 2014, suffering a rollercoaster development cycle that saw the game becoming a Windows 10 exclusive, multiple delays and the game losing exclusivity once the Microsoft money well dried up, the game is now about to release on Steam.

MOBAs are so 2015!

Yes they are. A little late to the party, Gigantic is at least lucky enough to have fairly different gameplay than most MOBA. There's no laning phase or critters to grind for gold, no items and all character growth during matches comes from fighting as well as capturing objectives. As your character levels up they are able to choose branching upgrades that add new mechanics to their skills so in practice it plays a lot more like a third person shooter based on area control, with characters that all have abilities that get better during the game.

How can I play it?
Gigantic is currently available on Xbone and on PC through Perfect World's Arc Games client. The official Steam release is scheduled for the 20th of this month and presumably going to be the "real" release.

What’s this about Xbone and PC? Can I play on both?
Yes! The account is valid for both versions of the game, so unlocks and whatnot should be shared between platforms. You can also play the PC version with an Xbox controller, and play cross-platform with your friends and foes.

How does it play?
You can watch the official introduction guide below and there's also a pretty good ingame tutorial. Essentially the game is a third person shooter and area control game. The objective of the game is to gather energy either from killing the enemy team or more importantly from certain "nodes" that become active on the map at different points; The team that gathers 100 energy first then gets a chance to wound the enemy's giant snake/catbird by hopefully hitting a specific weakspot while the opposing team tries to protect it. If the attackers fail then the Guardian recovers their strength and energy must once again be gathered for another attempt. The first team to successfully wound the enemy guardian three times is the winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niP3BfYXa5Y

Is it actually good? How F2P is it?
Yes. After going through endless beta tests the game has shaped up nicely and has a neat little roster of heroes. Whether you like to run and gun, snipe, go in for melee kills or support your allies with heals/debuffs and zone control; chances are good you'll find something that tickles your fancy. A bit less ideal is the fact that you need to purchase heroes either with ingame currency or real money, how grindy or not this will actually be is still up in the air (of course there's always a rotation of free heroes to choose from) but at least the game does award you minute amounts of premium currency here and there. That means that you can also potentially buy character/weapons skins just by playing.

You can check all the available heroes and information about all their skills here.

:siren:Be mindful, no matter who you pick it's probably a good idea to try them out in practice. Many moves have extra effects that are not immediately apparent.:siren:

Det_no fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I probs wont pick it up for a bit, but glad its finally out. Looked really fun

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Game came out early so it's now available on Steam.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I kind of hated this game in its early public testing stages, but it turned out really good. I don't know if it turned out money good, because you can earn things fairly quickly in the grand scheme of similar F2P titles, but it's a lot of fun.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of this, but I've been having a lot of fun. It definitely feels more streamlined than it was back during the early test phases.

Catbird themself is the best. The increased range on the dodge-attack trait feels indespensible, and I've otherwise been having pretty good luck with a blade dance/spin cycle-focused build. Once you get on top of any of the squishier characters, you're just impossible to get away from.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I played for a good number of hours today and the game is fun. The rate at which you get video game bux seems somewhat reasonable, I've got enough for a dude and a half but am going to wait and see who's in the next rotation before making a decision. So far the robot man seems very very good, where every single one of his skills synergize with each other and you turn into a god of death after a couple of level ups. Unfortunately I can't play him every round, so I played Tripp twice (I'm convinced she's absolutely useless) and the fire dragon twice (he's cool but not as good as the robot). I played maybe 15 games and the map rotation seems odd, I played on the desert map 12 times, the frozen map twice, and the water temple only once which sucks because it was my favorite map. I'm not sure how long it will keep my attention considering how generally shallow the overall strategy is, but it's a fun time-waster for sure.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I'm always up for some games, this poo poo reminds me of WoW battlegrounds. Kinda annoying how everyone has a different weekly rotation though

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 1, 2017

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Been playing this and liking it a lot. I enjoyed Sven's style of support but rotated off of him; before I spend my hard earned in game currency, are there any other quite so support focused characters?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Sven's really fun, but for other ones: The pink knight lady is pmuch lucio, while the orb lady has a really good single target heal.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Pakko's the best and no one can convince me otherwise.

"My Mom said I could play!" :kimchi:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Pakko makes snow friends :3:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

LeSquide posted:

Been playing this and liking it a lot. I enjoyed Sven's style of support but rotated off of him; before I spend my hard earned in game currency, are there any other quite so support focused characters?

Sven is probably the most combat-focused (or at least the most versatile) out of all supports. Voden can be really supporty if you spec for healing pools, Aisling is a GREAT mid range support if you spec her for buffs, Xenobia is great for giving the enemy team cancer, haven't played Vadasi but I guess is the most healery of the bunch and Zandora can make her entire team stronger and faster. Griselma is the only one I wouldn't recommend, I love the concept but she is far too weak right now.

Do keep in mind, you can try them all in practice mode.

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016
this game's cool and good, and if you get it on Arc, the packs are really piss cheap right now - got the ultimate one (all heroes forever, a starter pack code for a friend + a nice unique skin for Beckett and Knossos) for something like $17.

quart
Nov 10, 2005
i like this game

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8c6PPJO-4k

The next hero looks fun.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
New patch is out and it's ok. Apparently balance changes this time around come from before release and don't really include post-launch feedback? Seems odd to me but I guess we'll see.

Oru is good. Seems like a decently strong DPS caster, can poo poo out damage against groups, but barely has any mobility outside his ult so you need to be cautious and try to stay with your team more than usual.

Of note, Motiga seems to be sending an extra starter pack code for some reason so if you have the Ultimate pack you can hook people up (this thread is so dead though that I suggest first asking for a code and then seeing if someone can drop one either here or the giveaways thread in the private servers subforum.)

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Yeah this game is pretty drat fun. I am having a lot more success with melee characters than ranged DPS ones though. Margrave is great, leap and dunk on people all day.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I'm surprised the thread for this game is so small – I remembered seeing scuttlebutt about it forever, and then they started advertising on Twitter.

I was bored last night so I gave it a shot... and it's fun! I really like the breakaway from FPS point-capping, and the Wound system is an awesome bit of on-the-fly cost/benefit planning with your team. I'm still pretty bad tbh, but I'm getting there as Beckett; she plays kinda like the Scout from TF2 meets Pharah from Overwatch, and I really enjoy it.

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016
in-game event is up, play pvp matches and get 200+ rubies for every 5 matches you play within 1 week, up to 2k free rubies at 35 matches played.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I like the snow yeti babby, he can melee, he can freeze things with a snowball, he can scoot around on his butt (which I upgrade to give me health, focus, and protection while I scoot away), and an ice pathway breath that speeds and (when upgraded) buffs allies and slows enemies.

His ult turns nearby enemies into snowmen :3:

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

inflatable fish posted:

in-game event is up, play pvp matches and get 200+ rubies for every 5 matches you play within 1 week, up to 2k free rubies at 35 matches played.

I need to get in on this. Rubies are hard to come by.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I got back on this after being forced to stop back in...2015? 2014? When the beta switched over to requiring Windows 10.

While the F2P stuff is nothing inspiring, I do like the ability to pick your own daily quests, even if just from a limited set of three. Also, it's worth noting that you can buy a bundle for $30 that unlocks all heroes, current and future. You also get 10 win Prestige boosts, 200 rubies, 10 daily draws, two skins, and a friend code for...I dunno what, exactly. I assume it was beta access from before launch.

It's still a good deal, and it might be worth putting in the OP (assuming people still play this).

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I wish more people played this – I patched up and wanted to try out the two new heroes tonight, and I was in queue for 15+ minutes before I gave up.

It's a shame because it's chicken and egg, where long queues will put off new players, and then the player numbers drop so there's longer queues.

This game's got quite a lot of soul and some fun core gameplay, it's just let down by its popularity.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

There were people playing at the start, we just stopped due to horrible matchmaking(in a nutshell, one 3k MMR and 4 500 MMR can get matched with could get put up against 5 1k mmr)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Motiga was shut down so :rip:
Apparently Perfect World is taking over development, so the game isn't dead but who knows how many Motiga people are staying.

I lay some of the blame at Microsoft and their stupid decision to have it require Windows 10. It left the game with a split playerbase on PC since W10 and Steam versions were separated.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 3, 2017

• Locked thread