Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peel
Dec 3, 2007

does anything stop them bringing it up again this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe

Peel posted:

nope, and president t-dog millionaire is pushing for another round in the next week or two

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

i think this is the third or fourth time it's been 'killed' so i guess the next one is direct to video and involves time travel or some poo poo

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Peel posted:

i think this is the third or fourth time it's been 'killed' so i guess the next one is direct to video and involves time travel or some poo poo

McConnell's attempt to use a legislative time
machine to return America to the gilded age ends in disaster when an agricultural subsidy enters the teleportation chamber unnoticed, resulting in the enactment of single payer horsecare

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 236 days!
obamacare is an enemy so evil it can survive all republican attempts to destroy it

i think that's the narrative now

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rushi posted:

nope, and president pee-dog millionaire is pushing for another round in the next week or two

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Peel posted:

It's kinda amazing how even though with such a massive advantage the Republicans still can't repeal the ACA

Between them and the Democrats it's hard not to think that any trace of merit has left our government. They can't even be evil right

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Dreddout posted:

It's kinda amazing how even though with such a massive advantage the Republicans still can't repeal the ACA

hooray for big tent parties

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Peel posted:

Rushi posted:

nope, and president t-dog millionaire is pushing for another round in the next week or two

IIRC they were trying to do some budgetary tomfoolery this time so they'd only need 50 votes to pass. So if they do bring it back up again they'd have to have 60 votes anyway until next year.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

IIRC they were trying to do some budgetary tomfoolery this time so they'd only need 50 votes to pass. So if they do bring it back up again they'd have to have 60 votes anyway until next year.

They could just go nuclear, too. At this point, legislation is the only process left where the 60-vote rule has not been abandoned.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
i wish his glioblastoma would go nuclear like Akira

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lastgirl posted:

i wish his glioblastoma would go nuclear like Akira

:hai:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's my understanding that while there was that one reddit post that was asserting that the GOP can't try again this year because they can only bring one budget reconciliation bill to the floor per year, the actual rule is they can only pass one budget reconciliation bill per year.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They could just go nuclear, too. At this point, legislation is the only process left where the 60-vote rule has not been abandoned.

It's ... possible, but it's highly unlikely that the GOP would want to do this, because of what could happen should the Democrats ever retake Congress.

I mean, 2017 and all and lol nothing matters and everything, but I think that if they do decide to do this, it should be warning sign that they feel confident enough about their electoral chances that they've completely destroyed any chance of the Democrate ever winning back the House and Senate.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's my understanding that while there was that one reddit post that was asserting that the GOP can't try again this year because they can only bring one budget reconciliation bill to the floor per year, the actual rule is they can only pass one budget reconciliation bill per year.

Do you mean this?

https://twitter.com/s5/status/891017513995182080

quote:

It's ... possible, but it's highly unlikely that the GOP would want to do this, because of what could happen should the Democrats ever retake Congress.

I mean, 2017 and all and lol nothing matters and everything, but I think that if they do decide to do this, it should be warning sign that they feel confident enough about their electoral chances that they've completely destroyed any chance of the Democrate ever winning back the House and Senate.

They already did this for Supreme Court, and that's a huge gamble in and of itself.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

LOL

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yes, that one. I'm not 100% on how needing to pass an actual budget fucks with the ability to pass budget reconciliation, but I'm sure that getting a budget reconciliation bill to the floor, only to have it fail, does not prevent bringing another budget reconciliation bill to the floor and voting on that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes, that one. I'm not 100% on how needing to pass an actual budget fucks with the ability to pass budget reconciliation, but I'm sure that getting a budget reconciliation bill to the floor, only to have it fail, does not prevent bringing another budget reconciliation bill to the floor and voting on that.

I find that hard to believe. I mean, usually having bills actually fail has consequences. That's why legislatures are reluctant to let these things proceed unless they know they have the votes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, I tried to answer my own question, and I might be wrong, but I'm still not entirely sure either way:

https://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-budget/introduction-to-budget-reconciliation

quote:

How Many Reconciliation Bills May Congress Consider Each Year?

Under Senate interpretations of the Congressional Budget Act, the Senate can consider the three basic subjects of reconciliation — spending, revenues, and debt limit — in a single bill or multiple bills, but it can consider each of these three in only one bill per year (unless Congress passes a second budget resolution). Consequently, in the Senate there can be a maximum of three reconciliation bills in a year, one for each of the basic subjects of reconciliation.

This rule is most significant if the first reconciliation bill that the Senate takes up affects both spending and revenues. Even if that bill is overwhelmingly devoted to only one of those subjects, no subsequent reconciliation bill can affect either revenues or spending because the first bill already addressed them.

This statement, which is leaned on by both the wikipedia article on reconciliation and Vox's explainer on reconciliation, suggests the interpretation that the repeal bill can't be "considered" again because they already tried and failed.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/01/reconciliation-obamacare-repeal-gop-strategy/513059/

quote:

Republicans have created a quandary. If they follow through with a reconciliation-based repeal before a replacement comes along, there are serious potential effects for health markets, jobs, and health care that might not be fixable with a follow-up plan. But they need to get the job done this year if they want to push through a major tax-reform reconciliation plan sometime in early 2018, as only one reconciliation bill can be passed per year. The increasing disunion among Republicans on what shape a replacement bill might take could drag the process, and each day that passes is one in which people gain more coverage and supporters of Obamacare can mobilize more opposition. The pressure is on.

But this one suggests that the limit only applies if bills are passed.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

gradenko_2000 posted:

Okay, I tried to answer my own question, and I might be wrong, but I'm still not entirely sure either way:

https://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-budget/introduction-to-budget-reconciliation

This statement, which is leaned on by both the wikipedia article on reconciliation and Vox's explainer on reconciliation, suggests the interpretation that the repeal bill can't be "considered" again because they already tried and failed.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/01/reconciliation-obamacare-repeal-gop-strategy/513059/

But this one suggests that the limit only applies if bills are passed.

Well, they not only contradict on whether it needs to be passed or considered; the first also refers to three aspects of reconciliation. :confused:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I tried digging through the rebuttals to that tweet referencing the reddit post:

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/891095468373159937
https://twitter.com/jrovner/status/890809161407021056
https://twitter.com/KDbyProxy/status/891147989313622016

The "skinny repeal" was an amendment to the bill, Amendment 667. The vote failing to pass meant that the amendment to the bill was not adopted, but the Senate wasn't voting on the bill (HR 1628), they were voting on an amendment, and McConnell "just" sent the bill back to the legislative calendar to be taken up again at a later date.

The "limit" that they're going to run against is that they can't/don't want to work on tax reform until they get this thing done, and if they can't get this done, it's going to run against the next year's fiscal year.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Which is why I said that people who have been pulling for McCain to go full Scanners now need to hope he holds on for the next few months, because if he passes, so will the amendment and your chances of ever getting health care without declaring bankruptcy first.

So wait for the Jets to be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs before you start jamming more pins into the face of your McCain voodoo dolls.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

C. Everett Koop posted:

Which is why I said that people who have been pulling for McCain to go full Scanners now need to hope he holds on for the next few months, because if he passes, so will the amendment and your chances of ever getting health care without declaring bankruptcy first.

So wait for the Jets to be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs before you start jamming more pins into the face of your McCain voodoo dolls.

the interesting thing is that McCain is from Arizona, which like most states replaces senators who die or resign mid-term by gubernatorial appointment. so if he passed you'd get a new senator appointed by AZ's republican, but anti-straight repeal governor. AZ is a Medicaid expansion state, so it's unlikely that their gov would pick a candidate who wouldn't promise to protect the Medicaid expansion. that's a massive problem for McConnell because much of republican legislative thinking around Obamacare repeal involves shredding Medicaid to fund tax cuts for their donors

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Fallen Hamprince posted:

the interesting thing is that McCain is from Arizona, which like most states replaces senators who die or resign mid-term by gubernatorial appointment. so if he passed you'd get a new senator appointed by AZ's republican, but anti-straight repeal governor. AZ is a Medicaid expansion state, so it's unlikely that their gov would pick a candidate who wouldn't promise to protect the Medicaid expansion. that's a massive problem for McConnell because much of republican legislative thinking around Obamacare repeal involves shredding Medicaid to fund tax cuts for their donors

isn't every republican governor in a state that expanded medicaid except bevin anti repeal though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Gringostar posted:

isn't every republican governor in a state that expanded medicaid except bevin anti repeal though?

they way more republican governors than you thinkin id bet :smith:

• Locked thread