Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Will it be better or worse than Maximum Overdrive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Worse because the fanboys and cgi.

I always read them as a spaghetti western gone crazy. The trailer makes it look super techno fancy.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
But will Zoltan be in it, and will he spout about the magical fruit?

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
never read it. my dad was really into it tho, read tons of stephen king and sci-fi books. I got him the comic adaptation one year for christmas or something and he never read it in a book-snob kinda way lol

anyway, movie looks rote but Elba is great and i want to see mcconaughey as a villain

nah
Mar 16, 2009

i got halfway through the 4th book. there was some cool stuff that happened in the first 3 books. don't remember them though

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
I saw it the other night. Interesting take on the material, for sure.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Artsygrrl posted:

I saw it the other night. Interesting take on the material, for sure.

will i enjoy the movie if ive never read the books or know what its about

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Worse because the fanboys and cgi.

I always read them as a spaghetti western gone crazy. The trailer makes it look super techno fancy.

I read his afterwords and yeah he basically said it was supposed to be a spaghetti western slowly bleeding into 80s horror movies

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer

Hector Beerlioz posted:

will i enjoy the movie if ive never read the books or know what its about

I think so. I went into it assuming the worst and expecting very little adaptation, which really helped. The weak dialogue pops up in spots more so than usual, but that is what you get with four screenwriters. Matthew and Idris are really solid in spite of this. Material-wise, it hops around and pulls from different places, but still plays fast and loose enough that you do not need to be an expert in the material to know what is going on.

Not the greatest movie ever made, but it is certainly not as bad as Battlefield Earth.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Artsygrrl posted:

Not the greatest movie ever made, but it is certainly not as bad as Battlefield Earth.

I saw Battlefield Earth in the theaters and that it owned and afterwards before I could say that my friend started going on about how awful it was so I got embarrassed and lied and said I agreed.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
I got dragged to it. The theater was pretty full (this was in LA), but I noticed some folks walking out halfway through.

Test screening The Glass House proved that sometimes you can make an even worse movie, and continuity is for amateurs. Battlefield Earth just made me sad for the supporting cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Every time he came on screen, I kept hearing Matt Damon going "Let's take our shirts off" in his best Matthew Mcconaughey impression.

• Locked thread