Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Hooray!! :dance:

This game is really fun brought down by that crushing grind, that is great news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

the discord link in the OP is expired, could someone post a new invite?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Tsurupettan posted:

the discord link in the OP is expired, could someone post a new invite?

That would be encouraging people to play this game instead of letting it die so the developers could learn that Tiered Ships was the worst loving idea ever.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
I recently picked this game up with a couple of friends, and godawful grind notwithstanding we've all been having a blast.

One of those friends told me some specifics about the supposed tech tree change: apparently researching/buying all the nodes on the way to the next ship will just give you the ship. Not only would this cut the grind in half, but it would no longer punish you for buying modules to use (which is also good because it encourages experimentation). Supposedly the patch hits in January.

Until then I haven't been playing too much though; outside of friend games I've just been doing the dailies.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I just wish the module/equipment grind wasn't so linear. In Navyfield (anyone remember this game?) you could choose like a dozen different guns for each spot, and equip them with different ammo. I liked the customization and you could do some neat things.

They should at least let people equip whichever module they want in whatever slot they want. I hate having to choose one type of missile over the other. Let me have both and drop my missile defense or something.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

SpartanIV posted:

They should at least let people equip whichever module they want in whatever slot they want. I hate having to choose one type of missile over the other. Let me have both and drop my missile defense or something.

This would be op in the worst way

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Zigmidge posted:

Yeah it probably would, but it'd be nice if some modules could be used in more than one slot

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Zigmidge posted:

Is it OP if everyone can do it?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

SpartanIV posted:

Is it OP if everyone can do it?

If you can take the guns off the Dola, and put them onto something that can actually move, people will only play the Dola just long enough to unlock the guns and then never touch it again.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
That element of their ship design is super lazy for a franchise where they could literally do anything they wanted.

i.e. the 'Heavy Destroyer Dola' is literally just a Dreadnaught with the Destroyer skill set, while the light Dreadnaught is a Destroyer with Dreadnaught skills.

If these were actually all individual ships with their own set of skills and features I'd be much more on board with this whole thing (minus the grind).

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
The gameplay is loving fabulous and I'd be much more on board with the game if the grind wasn't SO goddamn real.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

:siren:The update is here!:siren:

Grind Pros:
-Researching ships is now done by purchasing a certain amount of upgrades. While the ships can be researched right away, you need enough modules purchased to acquire them. This gives incentive to use the purchased modules.
-The tech trees have been streamlined. They are now grouped entirely by module type and don't require side-paths, so now you don't have to go out of your way to research the modules you want (pointless modules in the actual module branch notwithstanding).
-The cost of researching ships has been dramatically lowered, and they no longer require (direct) spending of Credits to acquire them - once your have researched/purchased enough upgrades, you can simply claim the ship right away. Example: T3 ships used to cost 10500 EXP for the main upgrade and 20000 for the branch upgrade; now they cost 1000 and 1500.

Grind Cons:
-With the massively-decreased cost in ship research came a massively-increased cost in module research. The modules now cost more to research than the ships, in some cases costing more than twice the amount needed for the ship. They also get more expensive the further you go down a module branch. (Though considering ships could cost up to 225k/300k at endgame, this is still a HUGE improvement over what it was.)
-The main upgrade of a ship costs more than the branch upgrade now. Probably meant to make players try different ship types, but this still feels backwards to me.

e: In other news, T2 ships are no longer allowed in Veteran. R.I.P. to those who were having them mooch EXP while you used your T3 ship (like me).

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 14, 2017

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Oh good, none of the real issues have been resolved!

They moved the grind and still kept the tiered divisions.

Looks like I'm dumpstering this game.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Is there a picture of the new module tech tree? My problem was never with the cost of ships. It was the sea of modules they hit you with at T4 and their ridiculous costs and now that's doubled? Ouch.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Oh good, none of the real issues have been resolved!

They moved the grind and still kept the tiered divisions.

Looks like I'm dumpstering this game.

Zigmidge posted:

Is there a picture of the new module tech tree? My problem was never with the cost of ships. It was the sea of modules they hit you with at T4 and their ridiculous costs and now that's doubled? Ouch.

"Research ship > research/buy number of Modules > Claim" is the method now.

Sadly the "sea of modules" problem is still present. You need to research almost the entire tech tree of a T3 ship to unlock both ship paths, while T4 is where you get a fuckton of modules and need maybe half of them to open up the T5.

I will say having seen the former costs of T5 ships that this method is much better, but the major sticking point is that it has made T3 an absolutely hellish wall to climb. The before and after aren't remotely as bad, because in T2 the costs aren't too expensive, and in T4 you now have free choice over the modules you want and can get away with cheapies.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 14, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
The one T4 ship I own is the Aion.

I do not own enough Ceres modules to have unlocked it on my own.

They have done gently caress-all to address the grind, they just moved the cost of the ships from the upgrade purchase at the end of the tree to the cost of the modules themselves, then the ship being "free" at the end.

40% of all XP earned while flying hero ships is converted directly to free XP, which seems like a bang-up choice, because now I can just play recruit fleet where I want to play and use whatever I earn there to upgrade my vet fleet poo poo.

These guys are morons.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Chilichimp posted:

40% of all XP earned while flying hero ships is converted directly to free XP, which seems like a bang-up choice, because now I can just play recruit fleet where I want to play and use whatever I earn there to upgrade my vet fleet poo poo.

this, at least, is a loving good idea. the hero ships before were so stupid - fly a ship that's not exactly great and actually fucks you out of tier progression! Fantastic!

too bad my hero t2 sniper and dread aren't really great to play, but whatever

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Not sure I can call them morons, I would think the designers had instruction from on high to make sure the monetization of time spent stays the same in the end and this was the best they could do. Making the overall grind faster is akin to putting a service on permanent sale and ownership didn't want that.

Not that I'm defending anything here. I wanted this update to make it rewarding to play the game again. It very much did not.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Zigmidge posted:

Not sure I can call them morons, I would think the designers had instruction from on high to make sure the monetization of time spent stays the same in the end and this was the best they could do. Making the overall grind faster is akin to putting a service on permanent sale and ownership didn't want that.

Not that I'm defending anything here. I wanted this update to make it rewarding to play the game again. It very much did not.

They could make the grind to unlock all ships twice as fast and it would still be too slow for 90% of gamers.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

Moving the research costs around did streamline the grind quite a lot, and I like that, but the problem is that streamlining something only makes it simpler. The devs don't seem to realize that streamlining a grind doesn't necessarily make it more bearable; a lot of players were hoping the Tech Tree change would cut down on the time and effort needed to progress because it was loving ridiculous, but the devs shuffling the numbers around this way shows that they have absolutely zero intention of doing that.

If Elite Status boosts softened it up by any significant amount it would be more understandable because "We Want Your Money", but even with Elite the commitment it takes to get through one T3 ship is just too much, nevermind two. I can easily see players breezing through T1 and T2, slamming hard into the wall that is now T3, and slowly quitting. Which really sucks eggs, because T4 is where the game really opens up and gets fun.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 14, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SL the Pyro posted:

Moving the research costs around did streamline the grind quite a lot, and I like that, but the problem is that streamlining something only makes it simpler. The devs don't seem to realize that streamlining a grind doesn't necessarily make it more bearable; a lot of players were hoping the Tech Tree change would cut down on the time and effort needed to progress because it was loving ridiculous, but the devs shuffling the numbers around this way shows that they have absolutely zero intention of doing that.

If Elite Status boosts softened it up by any significant amount it would be more understandable because "We Want Your Money", but even with Elite the commitment it takes to get through one T3 ship is just too much, nevermind two. I can easily see players breezing through T1 and T2, slamming hard into the wall that is now T3, and slowly quitting. Which really sucks eggs, because T4 is where the game really opens up and gets fun.

this is an accurate summation of where I'm at. I hit the loving wall on T3 and only managed to get a single T4 before quitting.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah, premium currency everywhere is one thing, but the value return on buying elite or whatever is atrocious. One or the other, okay, maybe but if I put twenty bucks into this game it'll effectively get me nowhere, so what's the point?

This is perhaps why I have not put twenty - or in fact any - number of dollars into this game. :shrug:

quote:

Please note: since you only have to buy a limited number of modules, we have slightly increased the Credits cost for modules across the board. However, the overall cost to advance is the same.

I think this says it all, really

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 14, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Psion posted:

Yeah, premium currency everywhere is one thing, but the value return on buying elite or whatever is atrocious. One or the other, okay, maybe but if I put twenty bucks into this game it'll effectively get me nowhere, so what's the point?

This is perhaps why I have not put twenty - or in fact any - number of dollars into this game. :shrug:

yup, uninstalling. I had high hopes, but these assholes aren't listening.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

Psion posted:

That part of the update is something I really don't understand, because they make it sound like the Credits system was the problem. Which it absolutely wasn't, so long as the players weren't stupid with their money, and even less so now that Twitch Drops are making GBS threads out Credits like laxatives. The Credits prices on everything was fine, and it's still fine; better actually since you no longer have to buy the ships and can focus on fun modules.

The problem was, and still is, the research costs for the modules being straight up bonkers. If the Dreadnought devs really thought ballooning them was the fix the game needed, then the very angry players need to drill the very obvious reality into the devs' heads quick, or what would've been a great game is going to be dead within a couple weeks.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

SL the Pyro posted:

If the Dreadnought devs really thought ballooning them was the fix the game needed, then the very angry players need to drill the very obvious reality into the devs' heads quick, or what would've been a great game is going to be dead within a couple weeks.

I hope it dies, I hope gaming-news websites do some post-mortems so future developers can loving learn not to use WoT Tiers and Ultra-Grinds as primary gaming mechanics.

Seriously, its 2017 and F2P developers still can't get this poo poo right.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SL the Pyro posted:

That part of the update is something I really don't understand, because they make it sound like the Credits system was the problem. Which it absolutely wasn't, so long as the players weren't stupid with their money, and even less so now that Twitch Drops are making GBS threads out Credits like laxatives. The Credits prices on everything was fine, and it's still fine; better actually since you no longer have to buy the ships and can focus on fun modules.

The problem was, and still is, the research costs for the modules being straight up bonkers. If the Dreadnought devs really thought ballooning them was the fix the game needed, then the very angry players need to drill the very obvious reality into the devs' heads quick, or what would've been a great game is going to be dead within a couple weeks.

no, credits were a loving problem, believe you me.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
So they haven't actually reduced the grind at all? Fucksake.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
They've redistributed the grind... Which I think might be worse?

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 15, 2017

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I think it's exactly the same in different ways?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SpartanIV posted:

They've redistruted the grind... Which I think might be worse?

confirmed, because you used to just be able to grind XP and unlock mods to buy without having to buy them with credits.

Now you have to spend the credits and xp at the same time, so you can't half-rear end your T4 ship, like I did with my Aion.

If I didn't have my Aion already, I'd have to spend about 100k credits on outstanding modules to unlock it. Honestly it feels like they made the grind steeper, not shallower.

Cost remaining the same is a tone def change and they can gently caress right off.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Imagine how the people that just spent all their credits and money to get their first tier 4 ship feel now. :smithicide:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SpartanIV posted:

Imagine how the people that just spent all their credits and money to get their first tier 4 ship feel now. :smithicide:

ya man, it's not like you get that poo poo refunded so you can unlock all those modules you neglected to purchase.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

SL the Pyro posted:

now that Twitch Drops are making GBS threads out Credits like laxatives.

i'm a huge fan of AFKing twitch drops, what's this about

maybe in 2019 I can accumulate enough money to farm a single t4

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There's a reason I decided to just stick to T1 & T2 for the foreseeable future

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

There's a reason I decided to just stick to T1 & T2 for the foreseeable future

I thought to myself "imma just stay in recruit fleet and play the dreadnought/arty cruiser" then I did a match and realized how much I love loving annihilating poo poo in a dover and so I uninstalled. The game is a shitshow.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

My experience meanwhile has been the exact opposite. I find myself playing the Dover just because no one else is making GBS threads on the opposing Artys and Tacs and we're getting destroyed because of it. I don't like the Dover. I do like the Dreadnoughts and Artys, but never get to play them in Recruit with any hope of winning because so is everyone else.

A Corvette I do like is the Kreshnik because, despite earlier complaints about arcing shotguns, I actually like its primary weapon because I get to do genuine bombing runs and they're pretty strong up close, and its bulky and fast. What grinds my gears is that it's only available in Veteran, which I haven't been able to properly get my feet wet in because my other friends who play the game are still in Recruit. Another secondary gripe is that the Dreadnought I want to play, the Jutland/Monarch, is locked behind a T3 Battleship which is easily my least favourite ship class - the "jack of all trades" selling point is actually why I hate Battleships, because I like being specialized in something.

Much of these (admittedly personal) complaints would be much less prominent if the grind were less awful and I could get them out of the way faster, but alas.

Psion posted:

i'm a huge fan of AFKing twitch drops, what's this about

maybe in 2019 I can accumulate enough money to farm a single t4

You can link your Twitch account to your Greybox account, and if you have Dreadnought started you'll get Twitch Drops for watching any Dreadnought stream with the drops enabled. Usually you get stacks of Credits (1.5k, 3k or 6k), sometimes you get a special item (a red ship coating, a white chess knight decal, or a T3 Hero Dreadnought). The special items only get handed out once each, and if you have it already it will pick something else.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

SL the Pyro posted:

Much of these (admittedly personal) complaints would be much less prominent if the grind were less awful and I could get them out of the way faster, but alas.

Imagine if they had given it the MWO treatment instead: no tiered system, grind for the specific ship you want, starter ship combos that are less specialized but give you options until you unlock your own ships/modules.

Grinding to the top in this game is just bad though.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SL the Pyro posted:

My experience meanwhile has been the exact opposite. I find myself playing the Dover just because no one else is making GBS threads on the opposing Artys and Tacs and we're getting destroyed because of it. I don't like the Dover. I do like the Dreadnoughts and Artys, but never get to play them in Recruit with any hope of winning because so is everyone else.

A Corvette I do like is the Kreshnik because, despite earlier complaints about arcing shotguns, I actually like its primary weapon because I get to do genuine bombing runs and they're pretty strong up close, and its bulky and fast. What grinds my gears is that it's only available in Veteran, which I haven't been able to properly get my feet wet in because my other friends who play the game are still in Recruit. Another secondary gripe is that the Dreadnought I want to play, the Jutland/Monarch, is locked behind a T3 Battleship which is easily my least favourite ship class - the "jack of all trades" selling point is actually why I hate Battleships, because I like being specialized in something.

You can link your Twitch account to your Greybox account, and if you have Dreadnought started you'll get Twitch Drops for watching any Dreadnought stream with the drops enabled. Usually you get stacks of Credits (1.5k, 3k or 6k), sometimes you get a special item (a red ship coating, a white chess knight decal, or a T3 Hero Dreadnought). The special items only get handed out once each, and if you have it already it will pick something else.

I was doing it for the extra free XP from the hero ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Thor-Stryker posted:

Imagine if they had given it the MWO treatment instead: no tiered system, grind for the specific ship you want, starter ship combos that are less specialized but give you options until you unlock your own ships/modules.

Grinding to the top in this game is just bad though.

Yes, exactly. That's what this game should have been and they're idiots for following that model instead.

• Locked thread