Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Right - they aren't 10 years old yet but people mourned their passing nearly immediately once revealed the new M3's were going to be turbocharged and have electric power steering. The options for the E92 (coupe) are far more plentiful because they went through 2013 and made up over 60% of production for USA/Canada (~22% for sedan, the remainder convertible). You can find a whole mess of juicy data on production breakdown (transmission, color, year, options) via this big spreadsheet here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863761

I don't know if I ever see 2011 competition package M3's ever dipping below $25K unless you have racked up a metric crap-ton of miles or if it has been wrecked. I would say sedans with a clean CarFax, service records and less than 100K miles will likely not ever dip below $30K. Garage queens with good options are probably never dipping below $35K. Watching Enthusiast Auto Group which is typically the top end of the market as well as watching the BMW USA used website it seems that prices were driven down with the F8x release, but have since stabilized quite a bit and have been hovering around where they are at now for the last ~9 months or so.
I guess I didn't realize the production numbers on the sedans was so low. Thanks for the link.

I've been looking at e46 M3's the past year or so, but by next year when I'm ready to buy I don't know if I'll end up with an e9x instead depending on the pricing. Or just another e86. Those have been pretty stable in the mid-20's the past couple years. e85's have been going down though. If you want a fast convertible you can find good drivers listed for around $15k if you look long enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
OP wouldnt be in this situation if he didn't take 3 years to decide which car to buy :v:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've been seeing some really haggard E46 M3s lately...

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Human Grand Prix posted:

I always thought the Turbo and GT3 variants of the 996 were well regarded?

They are, plus GT2s. They all have the same bulletproof race-derived engine that's hitting mythical status now and stucturally 996s and 997s are pretty much the same so they're great packages. Sure air cooled is great but they aren't going to be hitting 600hp with minimal work while being daily drivers while the 997.2 and up cars have different designs. They're probably better engines but they're unproven and pedigree matters to collectors.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I agree with all of this. People hate on the 996 because it is practically a meme to do so and the popular thing. The people who can look past that are buying them up and showing how capable they are. Jymmybob picked up a sweetheart of a turbo that will annihilate nearly all of the cars in his general vicinity for the price most people are spending on some dumb SUV and less than a bro-truck. There is no doubt they will go up in price. I was seriously considering getting one over my E90, but practicality of four doors won out for me. When I am ready for a 911 I will buy the newest turbo 911 my money will get me.

Don't forget my rear end-grade 996 C2 that's as bad as the TT is nice. I think the 996s are stable for the foreseeable future but the M96 is going to keep them from appreciating much when M97 cars start getting under 30k and something similar will play out with Boxsters and Caymans.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Perhaps I missed it, but what constitutes a good deal on a 996? Because all of them for sale within 500 miles of me are mid 20's for a non turbo, rwd model with some miles on it, 70k for a 2006 turbo s, 35k for a c4s... none of that strikes me as bargain level.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think something in the 15-18k range for an early 996 non-turbo that isn't prone to the IMS issue.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

<$20K for an early 996 in nice shape and not crazy miles is a decent deal. Up to early 2000 M.Y. they were less prone to the IMS failure due to a slightly different design, even though the hysteria hit them just as hard.

People poo poo on the interiors too, and to be fair they aren't fantastic, but it's a 20+ year old design at this point (95-96) so of course the interior isn't great. Still, certainly better than the 993 they replaced. The TTs are to this day something to be reckoned with and even plain Carreras are not exactly slow cars.

I still periodically troll the local craigs/kijiji for TTs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The 993's interior looks like it's out of a 70s Fiat. It was pretty bad even by the standards of the time.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Thanks, but I am not sure that $20k is a good deal for one of those just yet. Maybe at half that cost. Reason being the IMS issue as mentioned earlier, and the fact I can get some other truly spectacular cars from the same era for less money, maybe even 2 for the same money. M5, M3, M roadster, Z06, maybe an early CTS-V. I don't think the 996 is quite to the point where its value will rise just because its a Porsche. I remember 10 years ago people were saying what a great deal a boxster was at $15-20k prices and look where they are now.

Its not that I don't want a 996 or think its an inherently bad car, I just think it needs more time before values start to appreciate.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

rdb posted:

Thanks, but I am not sure that $20k is a good deal for one of those just yet. Maybe at half that cost. Reason being the IMS issue as mentioned earlier, and the fact I can get some other truly spectacular cars from the same era for less money, maybe even 2 for the same money. M5, M3, M roadster, Z06, maybe an early CTS-V. I don't think the 996 is quite to the point where its value will rise just because its a Porsche. I remember 10 years ago people were saying what a great deal a boxster was at $15-20k prices and look where they are now.

Its not that I don't want a 996 or think its an inherently bad car, I just think it needs more time before values start to appreciate.

You will never find a good running 996 for 10 grand. A junked out POS one? Maybe. But not one that anyone would want to have as a car they drive even 3-4 weekends per month.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I'm not saying now. Im saying that they have further down, way further down, to go in their depreciation curve before they become a good buy. Lets check back in 5 years if SA is still around.

E: I thought the point of this thread was to find cars you could buy now that would be worth more in the future. I don't see the non turbo 996 falling into this category yet.

rdb fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 3, 2017

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

rdb posted:

I'm not saying now. Im saying that they have further down, way further down, to go in their depreciation curve before they become a good buy. Lets check back in 5 years if SA is still around.

E: I thought the point of this thread was to find cars you could buy now that would be worth more in the future. I don't see the non turbo 996 falling into this category yet.

And I'm saying that you will never, even in 5 years, or 10, find a 996 for 10 grand. At least not one you would want. Hell, you can barely find a lovely old Boxster, not even a Boxster S, that's really worth owning for 10 grand.

e: and I'm not talking about ones that have blown up motors, or need bodywork, or with destroyed interiors. I mean ones you could buy, spend a couple grand on baseline maintenance, and drive happily several times a week.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Heres the boxsters off my local CL

https://evansville.craigslist.org/cto/d/porsche-boxster-9500-obo/6225786355.html

https://evansville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1999-porsche-boxster/6222501378.html

https://evansville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-porsche-boxster/6185166167.html

The last one is an S for $12k, its on CL I'm sure it can be talked down. In fact, this is the only one I see someone asking more than $10k for.

If I branch out, I see cars in the daily driver category for <$6k.

https://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/d/99-porsche-boxster/6199255148.html

If I really dig on auto trader I can find clean 996 cars for $13-15k already. Mid 20's is not their low point.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
To be completely safe just save up and get a 996 GT2 because in 10 years half of them will be gone along with their owners and there weren't many to start with.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Did anyone say Lancer Evolutions yet? Low mileage versions may be worth something in 10 years.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
gently caress, they already are :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrLogan posted:

Did anyone say Lancer Evolutions yet? Low mileage versions may be worth something in 10 years.

Prices would have to go down first for them to be affordable.

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!

quote:

there are fields of rust free cars from the 20s through to today across the south west of the United States

If only that were true.

California has been scoured 20 ways to Tuesday for classic cars for 30 or so years. Arizona, NV and NM had small populations in the classic car era so correspondingly less cars to begin with. Anything left sitting 'in the wild' has an owner who thinks it is worth far more than it should be. There are places with fields of cars (Desert Valley in PHX comes to mind) but they know exactly what those cars are worth and they aren't cheap. The days of getting cars like big block road runners in need of a mild resto for $1000 are long, long gone. You can find deals now and then (or, more often: hear of them) but it is rare.

On thread topic: I think the latemodel challengers will be worth something someday. Everyone seems to like them, decent engine, etc. The used ones need to come down in price soon though so I can justify buying one to thrash on for a toy. :(

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Kurten posted:

California has been scoured 20 ways to Tuesday for classic cars for 30 or so years. Arizona, NV and NM had small populations in the classic car era so correspondingly less cars to begin with. Anything left sitting 'in the wild' has an owner who thinks it is worth far more than it should be. There are places with fields of cars (Desert Valley in PHX comes to mind) but they know exactly what those cars are worth and they aren't cheap. The days of getting cars like big block road runners in need of a mild resto for $1000 are long, long gone. You can find deals now and then (or, more often: hear of them) but it is rare.

Best thing to do now is to look for unfinished projects from someone who needs it gone. Might cost more than a shell that has been sitting in a desert for 50 years but you usually get tons of other stuff with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Human Grand Prix posted:

The 993's interior looks like it's out of a 70s Fiat. It was pretty bad even by the standards of the time.

I always thought that was part of the appeal

• Locked thread