Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I tried a fruit bar I saw at a natural food store, and it seemed like it could be a good way to eat more fruit without having to worry about its shelf life (between the fact that I live alone and the fact that my some of my favorite fruits are ones with especially short shelf lives, bringing home fresh produce without wasting it is kind of challenging). The store-bought stuff is kind of pricey for everyday consumption, so I've been looking at fruit leather recipes.

Has anyone here ever made the stuff? If so, is there anything you can tell me, such as any particularly good recipes? was thinking of starting with strawberries, or possibly apples with cinnamon.

Would a Kitchenaid mixer with the fruit/vegetable strainer attachment be an acceptable substitute for a blender?

My oven goes as low as 170F. Would that work, or am I going to need a dehydrator?

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
np, you're welcome

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

You need to use fruit that is high in pectin (or add pectin) so that the leather is actually leathery. This is why you will find many such fruit bars use apple as a base.

When I tried making it I found the mixture of apple and raspberry too delicious and ate it with cereal rather than finish the job.

• Locked thread