Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I realize this is a day early but it looks like the previous discussion thread has been shut down so here is the August thread....

As most of you probably don’t know, I am getting married this month, so I thought I would dedicate this first post of the August chat thread to famous comic book marriages.

Superman and Lois Lane

The will they won’t they relationship between super-dweeb farmboy Clark Kent and the rambunctious go getter Lois Lane pretty much set the template for superhero comics. One thing that I like about this relationship is that there is a deep-seated respect between the characters as individuals, without Lois just being a bland love interest for the superhero.
Despite DC’s “no-marry rule because it ages our characters” (it is true I am old) the publisher just couldn’t destroy a good thing for long, and Lois and Clark are back to being happily married. They also have a kid now so woot to DC realizing that marriage is actually a good thing.

Peter Parker and Mary Jane

Apparently a lot of people were against this marriage. Who knew. Personally I hope my marriage doesn’t end with me having to make a deal with the devil, but maybe that’s just comic books. I actually didn’t have anything against this marriage, I was never a huge Mary Jane fan but I thought her and Peter being married was a natural progression of Peter’s character so I was for it. Of course Marvel wasn’t because the prefer Peter as some kind of loser (what is it with the big 2 and marriage anyway?)
I have no idea on Pete’s current status though I assume he isn’t married at all now (although probably is in some other parallel world where marriage is seen a good thing or perhaps he is living in the same planet as the one that that the Lobster takes place in.

Cyclops and Jean Grey

Alright, the only thing I know about this one is from the cartoon show and in the cartoon show they were married by a shapeshifting Morph so all of a sudden they weren’t officially married, and when they found out they weren’t officially married they decided to say gently caress that weddings are hard (true) and we already sunk a small fortune into the sham that was a wedding but wasn’t (also true) so let’s just skip this whole getting married thing and just go back to being a couple that has kids the natural way despite Mr. Sinister’s insistence that we have kids in an unnatural way.
Also I think I had a random comic that had Scott go on a honeymoon with the Madeline Pryor (who fulfilled the wife-requirement of looking like his dead ex) and they got attacked by a giant shark. Hopefully whatever my honeymoon is, it will be decidedly shark-free (and also evil doppelganger free too).

Reed Richards and Sue Storm

Again I don’t really read much Marvel so I have no idea if they are still a couple but considering comics track records in regards to wedding I can only assume that they aren’t due to some shapeshifting devil who destroys universes or something like that. Still I think that they were the longest serving married couple in comicdom (possibly), and if they are still a happy couple then all the power to them.

Elongated Man and Sue Dibny
Well one way I hope my marriage is different to this one is that I really hope my wife to be doesn’t die by some crazy woman with a flamethrower. Speaking of….

Ray Palmer and Jean Loring
I also hope that if I had a fight with my wife to be or something goes wrong between us, that she wouldn’t pick up a flame thrower and go kill my friend’s spouse in hopes that that would make want to be with her again.

So from the above examples of weddings and marriage I can only hope that my wedding isn’t filled with shapeshifters and evil villains trying to ruin the special day because they are jerks, and that my marriage isn’t filled with deals with devils, giant sharks, crazy ex’s, weird murders that don’t make any sense, jealous boyfriends, universe ending events, and other comic book style craziness.

Besides all that, this is also the August comic book discussion/chat thread so feel free to talk about things non-wedding related if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread