Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I think the same rules apply when your opponent is thoroughly incapacitated as well, not kicking someone when they're down or picking on defenseless people and all that.

Having a robot explode while it's slapping him so he's left covered in blood and barely able to breathe probably counts as 'neutralized'. I'm also pretty sure waiving a knife in his face while you taunt him could be considered conduct unbecoming but fortunately for Reyes his long con of regicide has left him as the only person left to head up the Joint Chiefs while simultaneously running every branch of the armed forces, so there's no one left to court martial him.

With only 3 more friends to off (provided we survive this mission) we'll be King of the Solar System by the day's end. I'm pretty sure this is how Warhammer 40K started.

If he can sass me, then he isn't incapacitated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
That's the litmus test we'll go with in court then; talk poo poo - get hit.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Nalesh posted:

While Infinite Warfare is being grimdork, have a Bliss-k to remind you of who survived in TF|2 :v:

Blisk playing his contract to the exact letter and then dropping his card as an offer to recruit you was the best possible outcome

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Psion posted:

Blisk playing his contract to the exact letter and then dropping his card as an offer to recruit you was the best possible outcome

It allows him to be an antagonist without being a villain.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So what did everyone think? Is the ending here stronger than in TF2, or is there something to be desired from the way Infinity Ward decided to finish the game? Personally I think what happens here fits in with the themes old CoD games tried to convey: the idea of sacrificing for the greater good and the ultimate insignificance of a single life to a larger cause outside of the people who knew the deceased. Or maybe I'm seeing things the wrong way. If I had to guess I would say most people aren't going to be blown away by how everything ended, they telegraphed it pretty well in advance, but I think most of those watching will appreciate they tried.

So another point I try to make during the credits and couldn't because speaking is hard: the end chapters blew most of the content running up to it out of the water. Even if you look at missions like the one on the moon or what we got on Titan where they gave you far more CoD like levels to play spaceman in, these levels were tight and controlled to a degree those weren't. I think the best analog is going to be the No Fighting in the War Room level from CoD4 where you are trying to clear the missile base. It's a bunch of tight corridors, team banter and high stakes combined with pretty good enemy placement. I know CoD is a franchise in search of an identity at this point, but I think Activision could do worse than "well directed setpiece machine." One thing I will complain about here is that they barely were able to work the enhanced agility gimmick into this part of the game. It feels like that could have been a thing here, even a space walk instead of the shuttle sequence would have been welcome. The way it ends up feeling is that the wall running, jump boosting and power sliding were more there for multiplayer justification instead of the single player actually needing them. But at that point I'm sort of arguing with myself on this point because I'm saying this segment without any of the extraneous crap was pretty good but saying that they should have made a bigger effort to incorporate it all the same.

I'm semi interested in doing a strawpoll among thread viewers to see where loyalties lie on a bunch of different back-of-the-box points, though I think I know which way most of the voting will go. I'm talking Best Robot Buddy, Best Advanced Movement Mechanics, Better Enemy; those sorts of things.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
"Where's the Chief?"

"Probably half way back to Mars by now."

Also, could we not just make another copy of Ethan? It's just software with whatever modifications made from the memories it created, I'm sure space NATO has a copy of future-Norton Ghost kicking around somewhere they could use.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Psychotic Weasel posted:

"Where's the Chief?"

"Probably half way back to Mars by now."

Also, could we not just make another copy of Ethan? It's just software with whatever modifications made from the memories it created, I'm sure space NATO has a copy of future-Norton Ghost kicking around somewhere they could use.

Yeah, the "oh no, not Ethan" thing was weird because he himself says he's just hardware and programming when he blasts outside of Titan with you, so why doesn't SATO just download him into a new body and send him and a dozen cloned copies out to fight the SDF? I'm pretty sure SATO didn't keep their only backups in Geneva or something.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Lazyfire posted:

Yeah, the "oh no, not Ethan" thing was weird because he himself says he's just hardware and programming when he blasts outside of Titan with you, so why doesn't SATO just download him into a new body and send him and a dozen cloned copies out to fight the SDF? I'm pretty sure SATO didn't keep their only backups in Geneva or something.

Why not? That's where they kept the control keys to the entire planetary defense network. :v:

Chalk it up to another thing Titanfall 2 got right: your robot buddy all busted up? No problem, stick the core in another one and you're good to go! Wait you had to leave the core behind? Oh no BT!

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 27, 2017

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Fedule posted:

I guarantee you that E3N's tragic sacrifice scene would involve him telling Reyes that he has learned about friendship or brotherhood or love or some such from him.

:colbert:

The one thing that Titanfall 2 went to any effort to exposit about the nature of Titan AI was that their personalities were contained entirely within the datacore in their SERE kit. This is why BT returns effortlessly from his tragic death then goes to make a heroic sacrifice in which he actually does die and that's meaningful (possibly to then return as a sequel hook not-quite-incarnate). Every AI companion in basically all of fiction does this to some degree. MGR:Revengeance's Blade Wolf has a brain of synthetic composition but organic structure that cannot just be rendered in software. The Geth in Mass Effect are "gently caress it, cloud personality? Cloud personality!". Droids in Star Wars are basically errors and mutations in conventional chips and circuitry (until the writers need them not to be). Nobody's completely sure what BT is but whatever the gently caress he is is in that little cylinder that did not or did get trashed, and whatever exactly happened to him in the stinger was extraordinary.

What is E3N? We have nothing. Nothing about him is considered by the writers for more than a few seconds between the lot of them. He's introduced so he can be a cool thing in this future space shootmans. Why does nobody else have one of these? Because, uh, he's a prototype okay? Why does he instantly, flawlessly, peform? Stop asking questions!. Kernels of interest crop up and then are immediately dropped, like Omar not trusting him and then immediately trusting him. We get to play as him and do nothing that every other CoD PC couldn't have done that is not 100% informed. Then, finally - the most unforgiveably - E3N dies at the climax of a game that has pretensions about being about sacrifice without giving us any sense at all of what death even means to him.

IW picked the hell up in its closing hour but it was too little, too late, and there is not one respect in which Titanfall 2 does not have it beat.

divedivedive
Jun 6, 2011
All those 80s songs you were remarking on during the credits, those are from the multiplayer zombie mode right? Think that's all 80s themed.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Is my reaction to how MacCallum gets killed supposed to be laughter?

Because I laughed.

A lot.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Yeah that was one particularly grabby bot.

I honestly don't know if it would be better or worse if it was the BlOps 3 dismemberbot instead.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Fish Noise posted:

Yeah that was one particularly grabby bot.

I honestly don't know if it would be better or worse if it was the BlOps 3 dismemberbot instead.

They really should have just made those bots BLOPS3 bot revisions so we could have a shared CoDiverse. Then maybe the hacking ability wouldn't have taken up a special slot and we would get actual good abilities from side missions like in Black Ops 3.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
So...SATO won the war?
I guess the game is trying to snuff out any kitschy pathos and therefore does not show you any victory celebrations, but here - as in many other places - it's doing things a little too laconic and hastily for my taste.

I imagine that last level must have been really nice from a gameplay perspective! Thanks for showing the singleplayer Campain, Lazyfire! :)

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
That looked like a lot of fun, and mostly a good ending, but the main thing it makes me question is: why was Kotch such a dick?

Narratively, I mean. Why have a cartoonishly evil villain if he's going to be fairly anticlimactically beaten an hour before the true ending of the game? This ending is a really good concept! Games are almost uniquely well positioned to deliver a good impact in a game where you have to sacrifice yourself and your teammates to get the job done, and there've been a fair few that have done it really well (closest parallel probably being Halo Reach). But they generally don't have ludicrous, cat-stroking villains who chew on the scenery, because they don't need to. If your villain is basically 'War (noun)', there's no need for that kind of front man.

IW could very easily have presented the Mars colonists as fairly vague, enemies in a war that from Earth's perspective are the bad guys but not necessarily for no reason. Kotch could have been a cunning strategic mastermind with the steel to execute daring, suicidal plans and justified it as "Earth started this war, and I'm going to finish it." Even - arguably, especially - if SATO argue that he's wrong, Mars started it, definitely, and WE'RE the ones who're going to finish it.

Mechanically it would have proceeded as in the game (only without executing a member of his honour guard for no reason), and I know I personally would have found it less discordant.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

SavageGentleman posted:

So...SATO won the war?

they won it just enough to allow for a sequel hook if needed, yes

I'd say "they could do something interesting with the setting of two exhausted juggernauts still fighting after destroying the majority of their respective militaries" ...but I am a little skeptical considering how uneven this one was, with an equally full of potential setting.

at least it'd let them concentrate on small-scale infantry setpieces, the part where CoD really does do its best work like lazy points out. although I remember No Fighting in the War Room a little differently than lazy. I remember it as concentrated profanity trying to clear that poo poo on Veteran. And then Mile High Club :shepface:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

WFGuy posted:

That looked like a lot of fun, and mostly a good ending, but the main thing it makes me question is: why was Kotch such a dick?

IW could very easily have presented the Mars colonists as fairly vague, enemies in a war that from Earth's perspective are the bad guys but not necessarily for no reason. Kotch could have been a cunning strategic mastermind with the steel to execute daring, suicidal plans and justified it as "Earth started this war, and I'm going to finish it." Even - arguably, especially - if SATO argue that he's wrong, Mars started it, definitely, and WE'RE the ones who're going to finish it.

Mechanically it would have proceeded as in the game (only without executing a member of his honour guard for no reason), and I know I personally would have found it less discordant.

Because he's the face for the Martian side of things and they really want to sell the Martians as Badguys. CoD as a series doesn't seem to have the balls to actually do a proper 'War is the real enemy here, not the enemy soldiers you're fighting' story. It's just part of CoD that you are Goodguy shooting Badguys.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
I for one am still happy that I skipped out on CoD past MW3. This game just doesn't do it for me, the entire thing just looked like a big disappointment. Sure, they get points for trying, but ultimately it just fell flat on its face. Too much indecipherable military jargon, too little empathy for the characters. The only one I cared about going down in that final bit was Ethan, and that was only because he was okay-ish at being the comic relief bot, not even because his character was especially great -- and even then they botched his sacrifice because they needed military/techno-jargon to make you see it firsthand, instead of doing something to where you could see his actions through Reyes's ACTUAL eyes from where he was standing. I dunno. The shooting looked like CoD, the writing felt like post CoD4-CoD, I suppose if it walks like a duck...

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Pythonicus posted:

The only one I cared about going down in that final bit was Ethan, and that was only because he was okay-ish at being the comic relief bot, not even because his character was especially great -- and even then they botched his sacrifice because they needed military/techno-jargon to make you see it firsthand, instead of doing something to where you could see his actions through Reyes's ACTUAL eyes from where he was standing. I dunno.
Also imo that credits message makes Ethan go from "Okay basically TARS but still the most likable character here" to "I'm a real boy!"

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

One of the things the whole subfranchising thing likes to disguise you from noticing is that Modern Warfare was Call of Duty 4. Infinite Warfare is Call of Duty 13. And that's not even counting expansion packs (like United Offensive) or weird outliers like Big Red One; if we take everything with the CoD label slapped on it, this becomes something like Call of Duty 20, though it gets hard to count. And for better or for worse, they really haven't done anything to change the core conceit of the franchise. It's largely the same thing reshaped and repackaged, but if you buy a CoD you are getting a CoD, ever since Modern Warfare/MW2 practically put the series in stasis for the crime of being actually good. :v:

Activision may be on to something when they say the customers of CoD don't really buy fps games, they buy Call of Duty. But you can only mine that so long, and the last several outings - Ghosts, this, etc - have been really dire. So of course they're going back to the well with WWII to try and reset, but I don't think it's gonna work. I don't think they'll change what needs to change to revitalize the franchise - they probably have a real fear their audience might not come with.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
You said multiple characters we cared about would die. But the only one I sort of liked was E3N. I hope E4N is even more southern and talks like Boomhauer.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

White Coke posted:

You said multiple characters we cared about would die. But the only one I sort of liked was E3N. I hope E4N is even more southern and talks like Boomhauer.

That Bot ain't right.

So I've been trying my hand at streaming over the last couple nights. I was thinking of maybe doing an end of LP stream of some completely different game. I would set up a discord so anyone interested in discussing the two games and how they stack up would be more than welcome to connect.

Edit: Yeah, I've decided to try a stream for tomorrow night around 9 Eastern Standard Time tomorrow. I'll post here and in the Stream thread before it starts. My current time killer game is Road Redemption, so expect some of that.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 29, 2017

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Starting as soon as this post is up because I slacked. If people want to watch and chat about the LPs.

I had two fully armed and armored gladiators killed by naked men.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 30, 2017

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The lion and the black dude just totally teamed up against you - how the hell does that even work?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

That was loving wild.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Fish Noise posted:

That was loving wild.

Technical difficulties aside, that was both fun and completely nuts to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I'm late to the party (great few days watching on the other monitor, great work!) but flying a Jackal feels perfect in PSVR's Jackal Assault, move your head to aim and paint a desired amount of targets before unleashing a Macross/Gundam fantasy of missiles etc, it'd make great material for a separate little game and jesus the cringey boss-character writing in TF2 and the COD-ness of IW was far so out it could set foot on a second habitable planet.

• Locked thread