Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dav
Nov 6, 2009
Okay, sneaking a page number onto our sheet that way is kinda brilliant. Full marks there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Page 198 posted:

You reach out for the sword, and the hairs on the nape of your neck rise. You pause and glance round the room. The fat official returns your gaze. You take the sword and the sense of danger grows.

Suddenly a venomous snake rears beside you, fangs dripping, ready to strike. You sweep the sword round in a lazy arc, slicing the serpent's head from its body. It writhes for several seconds, sloughing off its official's robes. King Maior stares at the body, then at you.

'It seems I owe you a great debt,' he says. He walks over to a small lacquered box, unlocks it, and takes a brooch from it. 'For to long I have allowed others to be my eyes and ears. Merzei tried to tell me this, but I was too proud to listen to him,' he says; then, tossing a cloak across his shoulder, he strides out of the chamber, gesturing for you to follow. As Maior passes through the palace, servants prostrate themselves before him. You pass through the mighty jade gates and out into the courtyard. Maior asks, 'Which first - rescue your mother or avenge your father?'

If you choose the former, turn to 77.
If you choose the latter, turn to 327.

: See? Serpent and dragons everywhere!

: You really wanna lay claim to that?

: Say what you will, that guy had a good thing going.

: That guy threw me in a pit of bones to rot! To death!

: He's got moxie!

: Evidently moxie's not quite as effective as an iron collar.

: A collar...shaped like an oroborous?

: You are hopeless.

Character Sheet posted:

Mulan the Quincinierita
15 Years Old

Skill: 9+2 in combat
Stamina: 13/15
Luck: 9
Ferocity: -3, subtract 2 upon Aging

Inventory:
Provisions x2 (restore 4 STAMINA per use)
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
30 copper coins on a string
10 gold coins not on a string
Monk's Knife
Sacred Sword of Tsui
Wooden plaque
A glimmer of optimism

Keywords: When, King, Offers, Sword, Turn, To, 198

Deaths: a bad case of worms, muerta la revolucion, monk'yin around x2, bad advis[or], a very hot bowl
Failures: Merchanting, Monking
Kills: Arena Beast, an unfortunate meat vendor stand, Death's Messenger, an unfortunate drunk, white-faced monk x2, an impudent practice block, an ephemeral bowl made manifest, some Traolian mooks, a snake advisor...or perhaps an advisor snake

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Save mommy first. Gertrude is alive and suffering, our dad's ghost can wait.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Save Mommy from the sand people.

I feel like George Lucas read this book at some point.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
The king seems entirely too blasé about his official suddenly turning into a giant snake. Is this something that happens often around here?

Let's go save mother.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

This book is a sequel to Black Vein Prophecy, and the PC of that book is actually Maior. BVP is on the (every-lengthening) list of upcoming books I've got squirreled away.

Page 77 posted:

Maior sends for a horse from the stables. Since you have never ridden in your life, you ride behind him. You travel for several days, camping rough at night. You are surprised to discover that Maior is quite accustomed to the hard life of a traveler. As you journey, he tells you something of his history, how he came to power as his father, Bezenvial, had decreed in the Black Vein Prophecy, but how he rejected his father's legacy of evil. At long last you arrive at a country mansion - from the size of it, the residence of an important official. Maior tells you that your mother is here. He explains that all children are connected to their parents, whether they like it or not, and perceptive eyes can follow the connection - this is how he found his way here. He strides in, brushing aside the protesting guardian at the door. You follow him all the way into the main hall, where a large gathering is enjoying a banquet. Your eyes immediately alight on your mother. As you run to embrace her, Maior's voice rings out, filling the hall: 'I am the king. This woman is now free.' The banquet guests sit dumbfounded; none dares protest.

You leave the house with the king and your mother. She is overjoyed to see you and weeps for several hours. You travel to the nearest town with your mother riding beside your [sic]. Maior takes her to the tribunal and informs the magistrate that he is to take care of her as if she was royalty. Then you are riding once again.

Thanks to Maior's uncanny gift, less than a week passes before you arrive at the mercenary camp. As you walk among the tents the mercenaries take one look at Maior and back away. He pauses before the largest tent and raises the hammer to strike the small drum which hangs there. Before he can do this, the tent-flaps part and your enemy emerges, fully armored and with the accursed demon mask in place. He reaches for his sword, but Maior makes a gestures, and patterns of light form in the air. Your enemy stands, mesmerized.

If you draw the golden sword and strike him down, turn to 174.
If you tell Maior that you want the man to be allowed to live, turn to 393.

: For the love of Arn that was a lot to take in over the course of a single page.

: Your mother cried for several hours?

: I guess this is what I always wanted...just...drat. Deus ex Maior, I guess.

: So your mother was a slave for the whole time we were treking and monasterying and digging around our own soul/mind, but we fixed that. And promptly left her with some dude.

: Well, let me nibble on one of these 2-year-old provisions while I ponder my options.

Character Sheet posted:

Mulan the Quincinierita
15 Years Old

Stamina: 15/15

Inventory:
Provisions x1 (restore 4 STAMINA per use)
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
Monk's Knife
Sacred Sword of Tsui
Wooden plaque
A glimmer of optimism

Deaths: a bad case of worms, muerta la revolucion, monk'yin around x2, bad advis[or], a very hot bowl
Kills: Arena Beast, an unfortunate meat vendor stand, Death's Messenger, an unfortunate drunk, white-faced monk x2, an impudent practice block, an ephemeral bowl made manifest, some Traolian mooks, a snake advisor...or perhaps an advisor snake

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

FredMSloniker posted:

I think it's kind of neat that the gamebook doesn't actually check whether you got the right answer, because, as it says, he doesn't know.

Dav posted:

Okay, sneaking a page number onto our sheet that way is kinda brilliant. Full marks there.

:aaa:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'm torn. I don't want either choice because I want to see both.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
This is tough because it could be let him live as in “we’ve learned mercy” or “we’ve come up with a fate worse than death for him,” but let’s try it. Let him live

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Hey Merc jerkwad, be aware that I could easily have you killed if I wanted to. I'm letting you live. Still feel arrogant?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Luckily, you folks are ok, so I'll show you both options here. Starting with the wrong one.

Page 174 posted:

With a yell of exultation you swing the sword and it strikes your enemy on his left shoulder, cleaving straight through his armor and piercing his heart. For a moment the figure stay upright, blank eyes staring at you from the demon mask, then it collapses. You reach down to remove the mask and look upon the face of the man you have hated for so long. It comes off easily and you stare at a face...your own face! The mask slips easily over your head, and you look out at the world through its eye-holes. Maior looms up in front of you and his features are twisted with contempt. He gestures and...your adventure ends here.

How about we see what we're supposed to choose? I won't count that one against us.

Page 393 posted:

Maior smiles. He reaches out towards the demon mask. A scintillating globe surrounds the man's head, then Maior grasps the mask and tosses it aside. For a moment it hisses and spits as if alive, then flares up and burns to ashes. You gaze upon the face of the mercenary, a face curiously similar to yours. He looks confused - he can remember nothing of the events of the last few years.

With Maior, you rejoin your mother, then return to the capital. On the way you tell him of Keiko's trade mission. Thanks to the treacherous adviser, Pantu, he had heard nothing of it. Back in the capital, Maior sets about repairing some of the wrongs caused by the serpent creature's deceptions. Merzei is reinstated as the Grand Councillor, with special responsibilities for controlling and curbing the excesses of the Dragon Guards - using them to disband by force any mercenary bands still roaming the countryside. You are given the honorary title 'Eyes and Ears of the God-King.' Your duty is to travel the land, ensuring that justice always prevails over corruption. You carry the Sacred Sword of Tsui to ensure that you can fight for a just cause. Maior gives you a golden gauntlet with which to wield it and as a symbol of the God-King's power. Before you leave the capital, you introduce Ambassador Keiko to the king. They are soon deep in discussions, and you begin to wonder whether there may soon be more than just a trade bond between the nations. From your personal tragedy you have forged a new chance for the peoples of the isles. You can hold your head up high at last and call yourself heroic.

: Oh. Yay!

: Good job! Not doing stuff!

And that is the end of The Crimson Tide! Having quelled the fury within us, we have transcended stuff and becoming even more enlightened than our previously enlightenedness. You might even say that we vanquished the Coils of-

: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T!

Well, it seems a little bit similar, thematically, but different authors and less bizarre antisemitism. We've got a few bits to wrap up over the next few days, including the non-death endings plus fighting a tongue. If there are any ends you're interested in seeing tied up, please let me know.

Character Sheet posted:

Mulan the Quincinierita
15 Years Old

Stamina: 15/15

Inventory:
Provisions x1 (restore 4 STAMINA per use)
Wooden Sword
Wide-brimmed hat
Sandals
Pronged spear
Monk's Knife
Sacred Sword of Tsui
Wooden plaque
A fancy schmancy title and free reign of the kingdom

Kills: Arena Beast, an unfortunate meat vendor stand, Death's Messenger, an unfortunate drunk, white-faced monk x2, an impudent practice block, an ephemeral bowl made manifest, some Traolian mooks, a snake advisor...or perhaps an advisor snake, all evil

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
That was alright, thanks.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
I get the “you must learn mercy” idea, but that’s a pretty week ending for making the wrong choice.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

CaptainCaveman posted:

I get the “you must learn mercy” idea, but that’s a pretty week ending for making the wrong choice.

That ending does seem like a bit of an rear end pull. So the demon-masked warlord was really some kind of mind-controlling monster.. or was us... or what? Without being established at all beforehand, or given any sort of closure afterwards? Hell, that's the sort of I-Am-Your-Father rveal you could build a whole book around.

Any chance you could show off how we could have become a white-faced monk? Apparently it was one of our options somehow!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I just remembered the skeleton that could have killed us but something else would have happened- Death's Messenger. What was the deal with that?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

inflatablefish posted:

That ending does seem like a bit of an rear end pull. So the demon-masked warlord was really some kind of mind-controlling monster.. or was us... or what? Without being established at all beforehand, or given any sort of closure afterwards? Hell, that's the sort of I-Am-Your-Father reveal you could build a whole book around.

The reasons behind this are perhaps a little bit more nuanced (just a little bit.) If we fail the FEROCITY check against the warlord after either entering or infiltrating the camp, or just decide to attack him, we get this situation:

Page 346 posted:

Choose how you wish to attack the mercenary leader. You may choose an option only if you possess the appropriate item or have the word already written on your Adventure Sheet.

With 'magic'? Turn to 22.
With Arena skills ('arena')? Turn to 283.
With martial arts ('crane', 'wood' or 'spider')? Turn to 154.
With a wooden sword, pronged spear or cudgel? Turn to 66.
With the Sacred Sword of Tsui? Turn to 382.
With a monk's staff or knife? Turn to 203.

'Spider' comes from a group of monks just outside Traole. You are able to enter the dream world with them and get the bowl and everything.

inflatablefish posted:

Any chance you could show off how we could have become a white-faced monk? Apparently it was one of our options somehow!

They also give you the white face before sending you in. However you don't receive the word 'turn' on exiting, just 'monk.' This kinda puts the 'secret' path to success in jeopardy. Thoughts on the secret path at the end of the book wrapup.

Anyhow, with 'magic', the Sacred Sword, or the staff/knife, you can defeat the leader. The other options circle the drain to death.

Page 305 posted:

A red haze fills your mind as you stand over the body of your defeated enemy. The mercenaries are waiting, watching to see what your next move will be.

If you spit on the body and walk away, turn to 206.
If you wish to do your enemy's mask and helmet and take command of the mercenaries, turn to 72.

Poor choice:

Page 206 posted:

Black-armored barbarians move in to surround you. The last sight your eyes will ever behold in this world is the glittering steel of their raised swords. Your adventure is over.

...other poor choice.

Page 72 posted:

You tear the mask from the man's head. Beneath it there is no face - just a swollen mass of raw, red flesh. You put on the mask and raise your arms. The mercenaries kneel before you, their new leader. The red haze still dances before your eyes; the haze of hatred and death, the crimson tide of revenge, never leaves you, and the mask never comes off your face until your dying day.

If you'd stumbled into one of the paths that takes you here, you might have already have the sense of the theme of self-perpetuating hatred that the book is hinting at. Not that it entirely justifies the earlier ending, but it does bolster it up a little bit.

More to come in the next day or two. Backtracking through this book to find paths we didn't travel is pretty tough with the rough OCR. Ctrl-F works only ~30% of the time.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

achtungnight posted:

I just remembered the skeleton that could have killed us but something else would have happened- Death's Messenger. What was the deal with that?

Defeating the Messenger nets us +1 SKILL and -2 FEROCITY, plus 'when', losing on the other hand.

Page 246 posted:

The skeleton dashes the sword from your hand, hurls its own blade aside and grasps your neck in its bony fingers. The bleached white skull presses against your face and a hissing voice sounds in your head. 'Now you are mind, you will do my bidding!'

You are woken by the first bright rays of the sun across your face. Once again you are wet and caked with mud. Your STAMINA is restored to its permanent level. Add 2 points to your FEROCITY.

Turn to 345.

Same ultimate destination as winning, though.

Other things we missed are some alternate non-win, non-death endings. We saw monking, merchanting and mercenarying, we can also be enslaved in a mine and wither away there, become a basket weaver, return to our little hamlet and rebuild it, and become a sailor.

Other illustrated things: we can fall asleep in a grove of silk worms and end up with a silk worm demon in our ear. That can entice a giant worm (Cangui, SKILL 6 STAMINA 8) to accost us.

The worm precludes entry into the monastery but we can get Yao (or some other mystic in the area) to cleanse us. It's also an auto-death upon entering the palace.

Attempting to enter the monastery meets these three guys who shout "Pao-Yeh-Pao-Lo-Mi,' and pull out golden swords which shoot lasers at us for a 2 STAMINA hit.

This guy is an insect...thing in disguise, Chonggui (SKILL 8 STAMINA 10).

I really wish I could trace back where the hell this comes from, but Ceuoshe's Tongue (SKILL 6 STAMINA 12) is lurking somewhere out there for us.

We can get knifey with a dude in a bathhouse. (SKILL 6 STAMINA 5)

That's about that for The Crimson Tide, pending any burning questions.

Thoughts about the book - well. It's an interesting attempt. There are several unique things in play here, including recurrent use of locations juggled by the presence of keywords, the aging mechanic, FEROCITY, the forgiveness vs vengeance thing, and of course the hidden page. To be honest, I think that whatever novelty comes from all these ultimately hinges on the final element. And unfortunately, I do think that final element falls apart. I'm no stranger to absurd requirements for success in CYOAs, but there are so few areas in this book where one can make a wrong choice and successfully complete the book if the full sentence is required for victory. True, it may make for greater replay value, but even then I'd argue it's punitively specific. And despite all that, I think it's possible to luck into the final solution without hitting the right track completely. When you're asked if you know another option, simply possessing '198' might be enough to hint a reader towards success. If this is the case, you simply need to get a red robe (to prevent getting monked to death), sweet talk the envoy, get the golden sword, and solve the puzzler. It's not like this book passes around any other page number clues that might distract you.

But all that said, it was a fun read, and I'm sure I would have eaten this thing alive if I'd come across it a few decades ago. I do have the book that precedes it and will eventually be LPing that, but will take a couple of days before launching the next thread (which will likely be another book altogether.) In the meantime, thanks to all who stopped by to share the experience. I'm hoping I can net a slightly larger audience next time, but we'll see where the chips fall.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
It was still fun. I think with a better book it would have been more so and you would have more of an audience. Thanks for answering my questions. I will be watching for your next thread.

BTW, I have been reading your Cretan Chronicles LP and enjoying myself. I will have to see if I can track the books down on Amazon, I missed them until now and Greek myth is always an interest for me.

Keep up the good work.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

achtungnight posted:

It was still fun. I think with a better book it would have been more so and you would have more of an audience. Thanks for answering my questions. I will be watching for your next thread.

BTW, I have been reading your Cretan Chronicles LP and enjoying myself. I will have to see if I can track the books down on Amazon, I missed them until now and Greek myth is always an interest for me.

Keep up the good work.

I had hopped into the thread the other day after either the goosebumps or lone wolf thread referred to a particularly twisted CYOA death from that series. At that time the pics weren't loading and I was worried they were lost. Thankfully, they seem to be OK - I'd like to think there would be at least some humor that would be lost with them.

If you're interested, I still have the pdfs somewhere. Not sure how many print copies have survived.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Thx- I'll check prices and if necessary get back to you later via PM.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

OK, next up is old-school brand name CYOA. UFO 54-40 is a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Thanks for playing, folks!

• Locked thread