Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I got stuck dogsitting for someone while they're out of town over the weekend and so far this dumbass has:

-ran into a wall for no obvious reason, TWICE
-gotten scared of his own reflection in a mirror
-gotten his head stuck in an empty take-out box
-made at least three flying leaps only to miss or otherwise fail to make it to whatever he was trying to jump up onto
-bit his own squeaky toy and scared himself when it squeaked

Jesus gently caress it's only been like four hours. HOW DO YOU EVEN LIVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Pretty sure their brains aren't getting enough oxygen.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
A pack of pugs can take down a full grown moose. Do not underestimate.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Here is a pug's skull.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ugh its Troika posted:

I got stuck dogsitting for someone while they're out of town over the weekend and so far this dumbass has:

-made at least three flying leaps only to miss or otherwise fail to make it to whatever he was trying to jump up onto

it sounds like it's going blind

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It dum

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Update: dogge calmed down some presently and continued doing retarded things at a lower frequency over the weekend. I asked the owner if it was going blind and she doesn't know, but will be taking the dog to the vet to find out!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
they have been selectively bred into and for retardation because it's cute

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Because they're genetic wastelands inbred for appearance without any care for their health. Pretty much like all dogs.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pugs are an abomination that prove there is no God.

JackFlash
Jul 19, 2013
The 'ugly-cute' pugs that're famous should die out just to save them from their own misery.

If an owner just HAS to have a pug, they need to look at retromops.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Pug-level inbreeding makes the heredity of European royal families look normal. On top of that, pugs look like somebody tried to bash their faces in with a plank and didn't have the decency to finish the job. For reference, this is what a pug looked like in the 18th century.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

My favourite pug lived with a fraternity of which I was their resident advisor. It was fourteen, named Inky, completely blind, completely decrepit, and loved everyone.

Inky would walk down a hallway by bumping into a wall, turning sixty degrees, and then walking into the other wall.

It worked? Inky was almost always supervised and wheezed like an emphasyma patient. But somehow Inky could go all stealth mode and slip away when needed.

Awesome dog.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I think the thing about all dogs and this has been true for all the dogs I've ever known is it any breed can be dumb as hell but there aren't very many breeds you can expect to be smart.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

I think the thing about all dogs and this has been true for all the dogs I've ever known is it any breed can be dumb as hell but there aren't very many breeds you can expect to be smart.

I had a border collie and he was really smart for a dog. The problem with this is that they're just smart enough to get themselves into BIG trouble. I always describe it as smart enough to open a childproof cap, but still dumb enough to drink the bleach.

For example he knew how to get out of his harness by hooking the D-ring on the back to the wrought iron fence and backing out of it. He also knew that people drive cars and people give pets, so he would try to stop cars and go up to the drivers window to get a head scratch.

Smart, yet definitely dumb. Still a Good Dog though, Brent.

E: also since they are working dogs the breeders actually give a poo poo about health so they aren't inbred sacks of hereditary diseases. He lived to just shy of 17 and was chasing frisbees up until just a few months before he died. RIP Sherman, I miss ya buddy 😥

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 19, 2017

Warm Fish Salad
Dec 16, 2016

You Compleat Me

Eifert Posting posted:

Dogs aren't dumb. Some dogs are easier to train than others, but in general dogs are pretty smart. My own dog surprises me all the time with just how intelligent he is - he picks up on what words mean without being taught, and when he gets a new toy, we assign it a name which he learns almost instantaneously, and can differentiate between it and his other toys. One of my childhood dogs was similarly clever. Dogs are capable of some pretty impressive things; for instance, a border collie named Chaser can identify something like 1,200 objects by name. Breeds that aren't as easy to train are often thought of as being dumb, but just because they aren't as interested in doing what we tell them to do doesn't make them stupid. Some dogs are smarter than others, this is true, but dogs in general aren't dumb.

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

I always describe it as smart enough to open a childproof cap, but still dumb enough to drink the bleach.
I realize that this is an analogy, but not understanding a strictly human concept like "bleach is toxic" doesn't mean than an animal is stupid. Of course dogs don't fully understand the human world, they can't. But that's not how to gauge animal intelligence. Sherman sounds like he was smart as hell.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Yeah it's just an analogy, dogs don't even have the thumbs required to open a cap like that. The idea is that some dogs are clever enough to get themselves into REAL trouble, as in more trouble than a dumber dog would be capable of. That's why I gave the example of Sherman stopping cars. He would purposefully put himself in harms way because he was "smart" enough to understand that people are in the cars, but not quite smart enough to understand that running in front of a moving vehicle is dangerous.

He was quick as hell though, it only took one or two repetitions of a word before he figured out what it meant. He knew just about every synonym or metaphor for "walk" and "food" there was.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My dad used to spell walk and food and treat as a way of trying to get the dogs to stop freaking out when he mentioned them. Eventually they would start freaking out when he started spelling something. He thought it meant that they could spell those words.

My dad is kind of dumb.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Eifert Posting posted:

My dad used to spell walk and food and treat as a way of trying to get the dogs to stop freaking out when he mentioned them. Eventually they would start freaking out when he started spelling something. He thought it meant that they could spell those words.

My buddy's old Springer Spaniel learned the word "banana," its spelling, its reverse spelling, and its pig latin version and would begin to drool uncontrollably.

She hated bananas, so I have no idea what she associated the word with.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My buddy's old Springer Spaniel learned the word "banana," its spelling, its reverse spelling, and its pig latin version and would begin to drool uncontrollably.

She hated bananas, so I have no idea what she associated the word with.

Springers in my experience are often very smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

ugh its Troika posted:

These are all features and benifits

• Locked thread