Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Ask Me About Living In Norway thread a few months ago:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3795401

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Zero Gravitas posted:

Rather than making GBS threads up the UKMT in D&D I thought I'd start a thread here about my move to Norway and my perspective on the whole shebang.

I'm a goon from the UK who many years ago met the lady who would become my wife at university. She's hopped back and forth across the north sea a couple of times but recently I was made a job offer I couldnt refuse so we packed up all our stuff and moved to southern Norway.

We're still in the process of getting all our stuff sorted out. My house looks like a 3D tetris puzzle with my stuff inside the cubes and only some of my paperwork is in order. I can only use the internet on my phone until we get a connection sorted out with Telenor... at some point to be determined later.

Still, I've got about five years experience of visiting family and friends to fall back on so I can answer some questions and I'm hoping some Scandi goons will point me to the right places for other stuff that crops up.

Bring Corbyn with you, we need a new labour party leader.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

How would someone with a bachelors/masters in communications fare who can speak English and some Italian? I'm a disabled veteran (US) and this was an idea the wife and I were entertaining. Want to know realism before we go from dreaming to scheming. We could always visit and intend to, just unsure of current demands for communication majors.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
You can't expect anyone to be interested in your Italian skills (what little demand there is would be related to tourism, guiding and such, and native speakers will have a natural advantage there). As for jobs requiring communications type skills, I'm pretty sure supply outstrips demand, plus not mastering the language would be a serious handicap as well.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

The Italian bit was referencing that I would have a desire to learn but I was tired and just fudged that.

Good to know, and thanks for responding. I just want a house or something in a valley or somewhere near a Fjord where I can just live with my family you know? Just something quiet in nature.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hope you don't like to drink alcohol! :homebrew:

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Just smuggle it from Sweden like everyone else (still too expensive).

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Alcohol is for the weak anyhow and the British enduring a bit of sobriety is only for the best

I'd say that the bigger shock is how bland the food landscape becomes in comparison to Britain. It's crazy how hard getting a good meal can be in the country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge
Norwegian checking in. Oslo-area or actually Southern Norway? ;)

PS: I am currently renting a house about 10 minutes by train from Oslo S and it took us about three weeks to actually get an internet connection, if it makes you feel better.

• Locked thread