Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Just released the teaser trailer for my new horror film, Ramekin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QonrkVv0AbU

Ramekin is about a NYC college girl whose grandmother dies and so she gets to move out of her cramped, roommate-filled Brooklyn apartment and into her grandmother's apartment on the Upper West Side. There she meets a ramekin. Horror stuff ensues.

It's the kind of movie where you shouldn't know much beyond that going in. The best way I can describe it is Goosebumps for grownups. Although kids can definitely watch this, and it will be PG-13.

I produced, wrote, directed, and edited it, and it's my first foray into horror filmmaking. I've been a fan for ages, and I've written and published several horror novels. And I've made other feature films, just not horror.

Hopefully the film piques some of y'alls interest. If you have any questions, I'm an open book (aside from plot). I love discussing the writing and filmmaking processes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
From what I gather, the ramekin is a drug allegory, providing comfort in the form of treats and some manner of emotional support, but does so at the cost of destroying the protagonist's life whenever they are not using it, creating a dependency. When attempts are later made at separating the two, Terrible Things begin to happen to the protagonist and/or those around them.

Trailer is a little goofy but it could be quite an effective psychological horror.

I'm curious as to how you get a film rated - what exactly happens in that process?

Where can this film be watched?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Soul Reaver posted:

From what I gather, the ramekin is a drug allegory, providing comfort in the form of treats and some manner of emotional support, but does so at the cost of destroying the protagonist's life whenever they are not using it, creating a dependency. When attempts are later made at separating the two, Terrible Things begin to happen to the protagonist and/or those around them.

Trailer is a little goofy but it could be quite an effective psychological horror.

I'm curious as to how you get a film rated - what exactly happens in that process?

Where can this film be watched?

I'm glad the drug allegory came through! As you watch the film you'll discover that it's an allegory for a lot, including abuse in general, not just substance abuse. I can reveal that it becomes her captor of sorts.

It's definitely an inherently goofy film, but played very straight. There are so many horror movies about malevolent objects, and they usually ramp up the goofiness, almost apologizing for their own existence every step of the way by being very campy and self-aware. I wanted to go the opposite direction, and take very seriously the idea of an evil porcelain cup. That's way more amusing to me.

It costs $2,500 to get a film with a budget of less than $500,000 rated by the MPAA. Same process as a big budget film goes through: you send them a screener, they watch it, they rate it. The process is of course entirely optional, but I'd like to do it for this one. I want people to know what they're in for--or rather, not in for. If it's unrated, people naturally assume R or NC-17 level content. Whereas this film is definitely something you can show a kid.

A final cut of the film will be done late October, probably by Halloween. I'm not sure when it will be actually released though. Everything is still up in the air, and I'm crossing bridges when I come to them. Might go the festival route, not sure. All I know is I want a ton of people to see it. It's my most accessible work to date--it's basically a funneling of all my subversiveness into something very safe and quietly subversive rather than overtly so. If I'm Matt Groening, this is my The Simpsons after a decade of underground comics, if that makes any sense.

• Locked thread