Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Uuhhhhh.... What?

Les Miserables, famous Novel by Victor Hugo, adapted into stage, show, movie, cartoon, and a few video games. We're playing Arm Joe, a fighting game based off some of those other adaptations.

Okay, sure, but Literary Let's Play?

Yes. This is not just me, Ryushikaze being a dumbass with a Doujin Fighter. I am joined by my Girlfriend, By The Stars, who is an absolute expert on all things Les Mis, and has a published academic paper on the subject of Les Mis in Japan. 150 some pages, meticulously researched.

How's this work?

Each episode is going to focus on playing through a character's story, or at least as much of one as I can before the game's difficult wall blocks me. I'll try and show off supers and specials and talk about fighting styles as best I can, but it's ArmJoe so no promises that they'll work 100% of the time. My expertise here is the world of fighting games, with some knowledge of Les Mis.
By The Stars is going to talk about the actual story stuff, what each character's playstyle and supers are referencing.

Spoiler Policy

None. It's a 200 year old novel, and a decade old fighting game. Talk about anything you like.

Now then.

Episodes

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

[Reserved]

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Jean ValJean

By The Stars: Jean Valjean - aka Prisoner 24601 (24653 in Japan) - is the novel's protagonist. He serves 19 years in prison after stealing bread for his starving family. Upon release, his faith in humanity and God is restored due to an encounter with the kindly Bishop of Digne, and he breaks patrol in order to reinvent himself. Travels across France to stay ahead of the police, becoming a businessman, mayor, philanthropist, and, most importantly, Cosette's adoptive father. Saves the life of Cosette's beau Marius before dying peacefully in his sleep. In-game design is drawn more from descriptions in the novel's text than any stage or film portrayals.

Ryu: ValJean is the game's de facto Bruiser character. Slow, heavy, lots of health, hits like a truck. He's distinguished from other slow characters mostly by having a pretty killer set of cross screen attacks that turn him into a cannon, like his flying kick and his shoulder charge. If you're picking up the game, he's a solid choice to start off with, since even his basic punches and kicks seem to have priority over most other characters specials, but not supers.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I thought for years I hallucinated this game.

Thank you.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I don't know where, but I did hear about this game. This should be interesting.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
The commentary audio is really tinny. I don't know what your recording setup is like, but you should probably invest in a decent microphone, at least, if you're going to do it this way. That said, I'm going to resist my usual 'not grabbed in the first ten seconds, stop watching' tendency, because I like mad, beautiful ideas, and this game and the LP both strike me as such.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Well this isn't the oddest take on a book/musical but holy hell is it close.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I heard about this years ago somewhere, but I wasn't expecting something with this level of effort put into it, drat.

Third Mission
Feb 18, 2011

PAY ATTENTION TO ME!
how does this exist. Also, how have I not set this up to fight my friends in this. Hours spent playing fighting games and I haven't played what is clearly the best fighting game ever made and crushed my friends as, what even is the character choice here? where is Garoche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

The commentary audio is really tinny. I don't know what your recording setup is like, but you should probably invest in a decent microphone, at least, if you're going to do it this way. That said, I'm going to resist my usual 'not grabbed in the first ten seconds, stop watching' tendency, because I like mad, beautiful ideas, and this game and the LP both strike me as such.

I do need to get a much better microphone setup than I have, but much of the specific tinny nature of this was trying to remove the sounds of an overly loud AC we had basically tuned out.

citybeatnik posted:

Well this isn't the oddest take on a book/musical but holy hell is it close.

A book, a musical, an animated TV series, a non musical movie based on the book- this game has a lot of influences.

Third Mission posted:

how does this exist. Also, how have I not set this up to fight my friends in this. Hours spent playing fighting games and I haven't played what is clearly the best fighting game ever made and crushed my friends as, what even is the character choice here? where is Garoche.

Gavroche isn't in the game, which is a crying shame. Clearly we need to remake ArmJoe for a more stable game maker system and add Gavroche in.

No new episodes for you yet, everyone. My girlfriend and my's schedule for this is entirely ad hoc for now.

• Locked thread