Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm the
Crazy One
Badass Princess
Unstable
Leader
#Sassy #NoFilter
Eale Eye
Macho Man
Explosive Head
View Results

• Locked thread
QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Ran through almost the entire game with Rario and Peach. Maximum destruction! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Man, I'm really hitting a wall on the world 4 midboss. I'm starting to consider changing up my go-to team of Mario-Luigi-Ruigi - I love using Ruigi to absolutely decimate the Lava Bucklers in the first part with his vamp dash, but I just can't keep my guys alive against the boss in part two (since I can't abuse vamp to heal the others). I feel like I need to keep Luigi in to take advantage of his crazy range, but he's SO spongy...

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The key to that one is to juggle him in the center with a chain of overwatch abilities, probably from Luigi and Mario. By the end he should be weak enough to take care of before you come to any serious harm. I don't even recall who my rabbid was but it was probably Ruigi taking care of the small fry.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

JohnnySmitch posted:

Man, I'm really hitting a wall on the world 4 midboss. I'm starting to consider changing up my go-to team of Mario-Luigi-Ruigi - I love using Ruigi to absolutely decimate the Lava Bucklers in the first part with his vamp dash, but I just can't keep my guys alive against the boss in part two (since I can't abuse vamp to heal the others). I feel like I need to keep Luigi in to take advantage of his crazy range, but he's SO spongy...

I used rMario instead of rLuigi

Break mario to one side and luigi to the other. Set up overwatch for both. Keep rMario in his starter area.

Shoot the boss with rMario. Boss will charge, triggering both overwatches back and forth. He'll be 1/3rd dead or so, with the feedback killing the Valk that shielded him. Stay alive (probably shooting the other valk) until overwatch is available again. If anyone has to eat a hit, make it anyone but Luigi; sometimes this means drawing the boss in by shooting him with someone else.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

just wanna say this game has been really fun. I haven't seen this thread before but I've been putting in a lot of hours on this one. just got to the final world and I'm going back to complete the challenges I missed for maximum power

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

ConfusedUs posted:

I used rMario instead of rLuigi

Break mario to one side and luigi to the other. Set up overwatch for both. Keep rMario in his starter area.

Shoot the boss with rMario. Boss will charge, triggering both overwatches back and forth. He'll be 1/3rd dead or so, with the feedback killing the Valk that shielded him. Stay alive (probably shooting the other valk) until overwatch is available again. If anyone has to eat a hit, make it anyone but Luigi; sometimes this means drawing the boss in by shooting him with someone else.

Thanks for this! It worked pretty decently for me (even though Luigi still ended up biting it, and I finished 2 turns past "perfect", getting only a "fair"). These last levels are pretty brutal! I'm on the battle now were you start pretty much surrounded by a bunch of Peek-a-boos, Bucklers, and Smashers, and my "aggressive offense" strategy hasn't worked even a little.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

JohnnySmitch posted:

Thanks for this! It worked pretty decently for me (even though Luigi still ended up biting it, and I finished 2 turns past "perfect", getting only a "fair"). These last levels are pretty brutal! I'm on the battle now were you start pretty much surrounded by a bunch of Peek-a-boos, Bucklers, and Smashers, and my "aggressive offense" strategy hasn't worked even a little.

I used Mario, and any two of rMario, rLuigi, and Luigi through the entire back half of the game.

rLuigi is the best healer in the game. Give him a vamp weapon and he can snipe people with vamp status from almost anywhere; he's only outranged by Luigi. If they're close you just vamp dash. Either way, this means that any other high-damage character is going to heal to full (or nearly so) after every attack. His damage is poo poo compared to the other three on this list, though, so sometimes you just don't bring him.

rMario is the best crowd control in the game. Run him into the middle of a group, use his taunt to bring everyone close, then it's hammer or shotgun time. As long as you don't leave him to eat more than about 3 shots, or 2 smashes, he'll survive. Then see rLuigi's entry above. Assuming everything isn't just dead, which it might be. It *will* be dead if you triggered Mario's M-Power first. Honestly, I rarely put rMario into cover against groups. There's no point. Someone's going to flank him anyway. His best defense is a good offense.

Luigi is a monster with the best single-target damage in the game. Use his crazy mobility to get him onto high ground, one-shot something, then turn on overwatch. He's going to kill *at least* one or two more things in the movement phase. The only trick is that, by the last half of World 4, he dies in one hit to smashers every time, sometimes dies in one hit to valks, and two hits of anything else. You have to keep him somewhere the enemy cannot reach him, and that means turning all his movement options up to 11, and THEN focus on damage boosts. Both high ground damage and overwatch stuff are worth every point, but only if you can keep him alive.

Mario is your generalist. He's above average support, damage, everything. You should be using his specials every single turn they're available. M-Powering rMario or Luigi on turn 1 all but guarantees most of the enemies who could possibly attack you are dead. But make sure you keep him safe unless you brought rLuigi. It really sucks when Marios survives a map with like 3hp, but there's still another level before the full heal.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

ConfusedUs posted:

I used Mario, and any two of rMario, rLuigi, and Luigi through the entire back half of the game.

rLuigi is the best healer in the game. Give him a vamp weapon and he can snipe people with vamp status from almost anywhere; he's only outranged by Luigi. If they're close you just vamp dash. Either way, this means that any other high-damage character is going to heal to full (or nearly so) after every attack. His damage is poo poo compared to the other three on this list, though, so sometimes you just don't bring him.

rMario is the best crowd control in the game. Run him into the middle of a group, use his taunt to bring everyone close, then it's hammer or shotgun time. As long as you don't leave him to eat more than about 3 shots, or 2 smashes, he'll survive. Then see rLuigi's entry above. Assuming everything isn't just dead, which it might be. It *will* be dead if you triggered Mario's M-Power first. Honestly, I rarely put rMario into cover against groups. There's no point. Someone's going to flank him anyway. His best defense is a good offense.

Luigi is a monster with the best single-target damage in the game. Use his crazy mobility to get him onto high ground, one-shot something, then turn on overwatch. He's going to kill *at least* one or two more things in the movement phase. The only trick is that, by the last half of World 4, he dies in one hit to smashers every time, sometimes dies in one hit to valks, and two hits of anything else. You have to keep him somewhere the enemy cannot reach him, and that means turning all his movement options up to 11, and THEN focus on damage boosts. Both high ground damage and overwatch stuff are worth every point, but only if you can keep him alive.

Mario is your generalist. He's above average support, damage, everything. You should be using his specials every single turn they're available. M-Powering rMario or Luigi on turn 1 all but guarantees most of the enemies who could possibly attack you are dead. But make sure you keep him safe unless you brought rLuigi. It really sucks when Marios survives a map with like 3hp, but there's still another level before the full heal.

Yeah, by the time you start tackling the endgame, having two of either of the Rabbid Bros. or Luigi accompany Mario to fill the whole team is probably the best thing because their abilities and what they can bring to the team is just a good deal above the rest, and that goes all the way to postgame too where their kit in just about any combination should be enough to tackle any challenge thrown at you.

(Incidentally, you can get a maximum of 1500 orbs once you finally enter into the postgame. Those orbs were put to good use.)

Also, incidentally, by the end of World 3, your characters should be strong enough to deal with every Challenge that lies in the three completed worlds. That should net you a ton of orbs to let you get flexible with your builds in the final world.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I would say the midgame was the hardest part for me. Then you get buffed by all the challenges and the late game is not so hard. but the bosses have been pretty tough

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Somehow I love that that is very fitting to how Luigi has been. He's always been the better jumper, and the faster, more slippery runner, he's always been....not a coward, but more worried. So of COURSE he'd be a Sniper, and of COURSE he's the valuable support, taking down things here and there, carefully and from a safe place.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
loving hell the difficulty of this game spikes abruptly at challenge 1-9. I've tried this five times at least aND these thunder slammers are killing my entire party. This game suddenly feels more like Fire Emblem than XCOM and I'm enjoying it far less. Too much restarting and figuring out the intended solution to each encounter (Fire Emblem) isn't nearly as fun as making things work on the fly (XCOM). I hope this isn't a sign of what's to come.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

a lot of the challenges are puzzles and some require specific characters or builds

Xcom is random encounters so it’s not really analogous

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wildtortilla posted:

loving hell the difficulty of this game spikes abruptly at challenge 1-9. I've tried this five times at least aND these thunder slammers are killing my entire party. This game suddenly feels more like Fire Emblem than XCOM and I'm enjoying it far less. Too much restarting and figuring out the intended solution to each encounter (Fire Emblem) isn't nearly as fun as making things work on the fly (XCOM). I hope this isn't a sign of what's to come.

The challenges are both optional and puzzles; it's likely you need to re-spec, try a new tactic, or even an entirely new set of characters. There's more than one that's only solvable via Luigi's double jump, for example.

On 1-9 I used Mario, Luigi, Rabbid Luigi. M-Power the group turn one, vamp dash as many as possible with RLuigi (probably worth re-speccing for movement), get Luigi up high, make sure baddies can't get to him, get as many enemies to X health where X <= however much damage Luigi does with overwatch, shoot with Luigi last and turn on overwatch, watch as he kills like 3 dudes in one turn because Luigi is a stone cold killer.

Edit: Also RLuigi's area damage thing is really good if you can wrangle them close to each other. And also don't forget the smashers can hurt each other!

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 22, 2018

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

ConfusedUs posted:

The challenges are both optional and puzzles; it's likely you need to re-spec, try a new tactic, or even an entirely new set of characters. There's more than one that's only solvable via Luigi's double jump, for example.

On 1-9 I used Mario, Luigi, Rabbid Luigi. M-Power the group turn one, vamp dash as many as possible with RLuigi (probably worth re-speccing for movement), get Luigi up high, make sure baddies can't get to him, get as many enemies to X health where X <= however much damage Luigi does with overwatch, shoot with Luigi last and turn on overwatch, watch as he kills like 3 dudes in one turn because Luigi is a stone cold killer.

Edit: Also RLuigi's area damage thing is really good if you can wrangle them close to each other. And also don't forget the smashers can hurt each other!

And if you're still struggling, you could always just come back later with more powerful peeps and guns and cheese it that way.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not really sure I've any interest in Ultra Hard challenges as DLC goes, but now that Donkey Kong is gonna be in the game I really wanna go back and finish it.

Freakin' (World 4 spoilers) Bwario and Bwaluigi were great, I'd been spoiled on their inclusion but was nevertheless very pleased to see them there. That battle kicked the poo poo out of me though, I had Mario, Yoshi and Rabbid Peach and by the end RP had 60 health left and barely managed to take out the last two guys.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Folt The Bolt posted:

And if you're still struggling, you could always just come back later with more powerful peeps and guns and cheese it that way.

Yeah I probably made the game a bit easier than intended because I kept insisting on going back after finishing a world and 100%ing it as much as I could which resulted in a ton of orbs for my skill tree and a ton of gold to buy the best weapons I could.

For the big guys don't underestimate the power of sliding. That's why rabbid luigi is so powerful in general, his vampire slide is really good against those dudes especially

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Yeah I probably made the game a bit easier than intended because I kept insisting on going back after finishing a world and 100%ing it as much as I could which resulted in a ton of orbs for my skill tree and a ton of gold to buy the best weapons I could.

For the big guys don't underestimate the power of sliding. That's why rabbid luigi is so powerful in general, his vampire slide is really good against those dudes especially

Rabbid Luigi really appreciates having a decent slide in general (both damage-wise, and Vamp-wise) because he has the highest Dash Damage potential of the cast and his weapons do low damage otherwise.

Like, here's my postgame build for Rabbid Luigi when all 1500 Orbs are obtained:

His Movement tree, alongside his ground mobility, are maxed out to give Rabbid Luigi the highest damage and Vamp recovery he can get when dashing and to allow for the maximum range for getting enemies with the Vamp Dash and get to a good position afterwards for his weapons or for his Weaken Technique. His Technique Tree is also maxed out because being able to apply a 70% penalty to the enemies' weapon damage one turn, then being able to take 60% less (weapon) damage AND be immune to Super Effects the turn after grants him amazing survivability, even with his low HP, and this is substantially better than upgrading his HP. This makes Rabbid Luigi very effective at denying damage and control the pace of the battlefield, and it let's him position himself mostly anywhere he wants, cover or no cover, because chances are he's not getting killed at the enemy turn, and can then heal whatever they dealt with his Vamp Dash. No orbs are put into his Attack Tree skills (besides the orbs needed to get the Rocket) as Golden Shot is among the lowest priority skills in postgame and Rabbid Luigi is seldom in a position where he can take advantage of high ground, unlike most of the others.

If there were more orbs, I'd probably prioritize maxing his health. Rabbid Luigi very seldom benefits from the damage bonus you get when shooting at enemies from high terrain.

• Locked thread