Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Zane posted:

Weren't they called the Chee?
The Chee were the dog robots, the Pemalites were the dog aliens that made the robots. (and were in turn created by the Ellimist).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Were not the Chee like literally unkillable? Because I think I remember there is a book where they go to another Alien world to fight the things that killed the Pemalites and the Chee "kid" literally cannot die or something like that.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Yeah they were balanced by the aforementioned pacifism. He was still useful. When they're fighting the howlers he acted as a mobile living shield and doorway-blocker

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I liked how animorphs became more and more of a space opera over time. At first it's mostly teen drama and standalone adventures, but after like ten or twenty books it becomes this Babylon 5/Star Gate/cosmic Marvel thing where there are a dozen different alien races running around and sometimes they go to other planets and weird poo poo happens and there are godlike aliens and cosmic battles and most stories fill out the world or advance the plot in some way.

I remember there was an ongoing storyline across a number of books that the Andelite and Yeerk fleets were at war and I think the yeerks wound up getting trapped and beaten which is why they went from slowly infiltrating Earth to needing to conquer it now now now. It was neat because this thing happening in the background wound up changing the whole course of the series. I could be misremembering it though

I also liked the bit toward the end where the yeerks got the morphing cube and the animorphs realized that if the Yeerks could morph then they wouldn't have to live as parasites any more and might leave humanity alone, but they would also be way more dangerous and might conquer us even quicker.

PS I don't remember what happened to the colony of free Hork Bajir that was living in the mountains for like twenty books. Did they die with the disabled kids or what?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They were the noble savage race. Getting screwed over is kind of their thing

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Duckbox posted:

PS I don't remember what happened to the colony of free Hork Bajir that was living in the mountains for like twenty books. Did they die with the disabled kids or what?

The humans gave them a national park to live in after the war, I think it was Yosemite.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
See, ther are happy endings

Are there redwoods in Yosemite? Because that's what horkies need

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
God these books were weird. Is there a count of how many Applegate actually wrote? I remember hearing she basically went full ghostwriter at 26 and then only came back for the end. I stopped reading at around thirty because the quality was kind of nosediving, so it checks out to me.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

God these books were weird. Is there a count of how many Applegate actually wrote? I remember hearing she basically went full ghostwriter at 26 and then only came back for the end. I stopped reading at around thirty because the quality was kind of nosediving, so it checks out to me.

Seems likely, that's about when I stopped

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I got through the Illusion, the one here Tobias is tortured before I stopped reading, then I read the last three books.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Someone explain to me how Ghostwriting works. Because it sounds like "hey random guy I'll let you write books with my characters and my name and I'll get all of the credit and most of the money".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

Someone explain to me how Ghostwriting works. Because it sounds like "hey random guy I'll let you write books with my characters and my name and I'll get all of the credit and most of the money".

A paycheck is a paycheck basically. A lot of ghostwritten stuff is actually a drat nice paycheck for what it is.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Rough Lobster posted:

The ghostwriter gets a commission and then possibly some kind of residual but for a kids book in the 90’s probably not.

Then they sit down with the author and work out the important story beats, what has to happen, etc.

Then the ghost reads enough of the authors work to imitate it, then they do a draft and then either 2 things happen
A) OG author edits draft into their story (these make better books)
B) OG author gives notes and ghostwriter finishes

Other publishing houses might work different but that is my understanding of how it’s done

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I always wished that she could have written more books like the andalite chronicles, with just the battles on other worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
nsa would have rounded them up pretty quick.

"computer, which phones were at the construction site near the mall last night?"

*dracon beams them all in their sleep*

• Locked thread