Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Patti Cake$ is a recent Fox Searchlight acquisition that made its debut at Sundance, got some good buzz, made the rounds in different festivals, and finally came out in limited release on August 18. Within the next week, it’ll be expanding to a wide release.

It’s the first feature film by writer/director Geremy Jasper, who has previously done videos for Florence and the Machine, Selena Gomez, and Goldfrapp, as well as making some nightmare-inducing meat puppet video that was supposed to sell jeans somehow. He’s also this goon’s brother, so that explains this thread existing.

Yes, his name is really spelled like that.

Patti Cake$ tells the story of Patricia Dombrowski (Danielle MacDonald), a young New Jersey woman who dreams of finding fame as a rapper despite being an overweight white girl living in the suburbs. She’s barely content in living as a bartender and dealing with her bitter, alcoholic, never-was mother (Bridget Everett) and resigned, albeit loving grandmother Nana (Cathy Moriarty). While Patti would rather fantasize about her idol O-Z (Sahr Ngaujah) and live vicariously through the potential success of local douchebag Danny (McCaul Lombardi), her best friend and hype man Jheri (Siddharth Dhananjay) tries to push her into making their dreams of success into a reality.

Then her life changes when she meets the enigmatic musician known as Basterd the Anti-Christ (Mamoudou Athie), who seems strangely drawn to her. Soon the two of them, Jheri and even Nana find themselves working together to create the possibility for our heroes to find themselves a way out of New Jersey.

Here’s the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-591Dqa48g

Here’s a music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T-g-RwmMgs

As of this writing, it has a 78% on Rotten Tomatoes. The general critical consensus seems to be that it has the clichés you’d expect from an underdog story, but with enough personality to make it its own. Danielle MacDonald kills it in the lead role and you wouldn’t even realize she’s Australian outside of hearing her in interviews.

So anyone who isn’t bound by familial obligation see this? Anyone intent on seeing this? I’m proud of how it turned out, but I’m biased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This comes out in the UK on Friday and I hadn't heard of it before the recent reviews but I will DEFINITELY be checking it out. That's cool that it was made by your brother!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

This is the coolest thing to happen to a Goon's brother since the goon whose brother is/was Adam Lambert.

Also the movie looks really cool and I might brave going downtown while there are people there to see it, since my theater is lame and probably won't get it.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I caught this movie at the Revelations Film Festival, and I can't really add much more to what the OP said except it's a great movie. It was probably the highlight of the festival.

If you get the chance to see this, I highly recommend it. When it hits the cinemas here in Australia I am definitely seeing it again so I can drag all my friends along.

Everyday Goast
Nov 27, 2011

spoopy

I also saw this at Rev Film Festival and wanted to say that this is a really great and enjoyable film, i have described it to people as "Bring It On but with rap music" (which is in no way a bad thing, imo!!!). Obviously it's a bit more uh, grown-up than Bring it On in terms of the film making.

Also as someone who cares way too much about feminism and stuff I think this movie ticks a lot of boxes with regards to the female characters, I liked that it touches on issues of race as well, also all the songs are really catchy and I'm pretty hype to see this again when it gets a regular release!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Good for your brother! This movie is not normally something that would catch my interest, but I'll happily tell more people about it even if I'm not likely to see it myself.

Gavok posted:

Yes, his name is really spelled like that.

Should we pronounce Gavok with soft "g?"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

marshmallow creep posted:

Should we pronounce Gavok with soft "g?"

Same way you pronounce "gif"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gavok posted:

While Patti would rather fantasize about her idol O-Z (Sahr Ngaujah)

Haha holy poo poo, Doomfist is in this? That honestly has my attention, I love that dude's voice acting in Overwatch and I kinda wanna see him in something live-action.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
Saw this on the weekend - can confirm it's bizarre, unexpectedly sweet, and you can tell there's a lot of care taken with the writing, direction, and acting of all of the principle cast, it doesn't fall into stereotypes as a crutch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally managed to catch this and I really enjoyed it. Definitely has a by-the-numbers structure, but the characters were very well-drawn and the film had a super unique personality. Plus the songs were hella fun. I got so invested that I stopped thinking about what was coming next to the point where expected story beats left me pleasantly surprised and emotional, especially the sampling of Tuff Love at the very end. Performances were solid but Macdonald is definitely the highlight and deserves to break out. Great job, Gavok's brother!

• Locked thread