Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I've owed a HP Envy 14 laptop for seven years now. The specs at the time were in spec competition with Apple's Laptops, and for a grand, could run me through medium sized After Effects Projects, Photoshop, and mid-tier gaming.

Recently it's been slowing down a bit in a few departments, and considering it's age I'm accepting it may just be time to get a new device. Minecraft last year ran at 30 FPS, this year it's down to 5. Other games struggle, and are barely playable. I can hear the fan whirring loudly. My laptop fan gets loud fast, if I push the computer too much.

Until I do get a replacement, I'm trying to troubleshoot a USB issue I have. Most USB peripherals plugged in, make the plug in sound, light up if applicable, but aren't usable. This includes my USB keyboard, my scanner, and USB flash drives, my USB mouse oddly enough does work.

I'm accepting of the graphics card failing after seven years, however I would like to try and get my laptop USB issue fixed.
Appreciate and help, and will check up here periodically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cox MD
Sep 11, 2001

Listen Up, Newbies.
For USB: Try only one USB item. Does it work? Are there specific port(s) that work or don't work?

For slowdown of machine: Airflow on laptops tend to be pretty week, add several years worth of dust to the equation and you get a machine that can't cool itself effectively. Once a machine gets too hot, it throttles itself so it won't overheat.

Blow out the laptop with a can of compressed air, or a compressor if you have a shop. Get in the vents and blow that dust out. You probably want to do this outside. If the laptop has service ports on the bottom, open em up and blow em out.

If you find the laptop is still getting hot, look around amazon/newegg/google/whatever for a laptop cooling pad, you can usually get a decent one in the $10-20 range. Note many of these are USB powered so if your USB chain isn't working you might consider looking for one with an AC adapter.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I opened up my laptop earlier this year and used some compressed air. I cleaned up most of the dust.It was only after the USB acted up.

It appears on both ports, however my USB mouse works fine.

Ran a quick hwmonitor report on tempuratures
https://ibb.co/eFJa45

It's probably good noting, my video editing program Sony Vegas is unable to start. However if I change my computer's power plan settings, go into the Switchable Dynamic Graphics tree, and change "optimize performance" to "maximize performance" the program will boot.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 29, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd run the portable zip edition of CDI to verify HD health:
https://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Ran the CrystalDisk program and Health Status reports as good. At this point it might not be worth the headache of figuring this out.

Last pointer I can think of, my laptop is running without a battery. It's been going directly off the power cable. My other thought is its related to available computer power, or as already said, my cards are just exhausted (considering this is a 10 year old laptop, used heavily) and would need a much higher amount of energy to get them running in their original state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

When was your last clean install of your OS? Are you just running it as it came from the factory? When you reinstall Windows you should always make a clean recovery media rather than using the factory image.

• Locked thread