Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
So this past weekend I visited Heinz Field for the first time and got to watch a NFL game in which I was a fan of neither team which allowed to me to look on the whole experience objectively.

Or at least as objectively as Browns fan can look upon the heart of Steelers fandom. gently caress the Steelers.

Val Helmethead, TFF poster and Cancer murderer had a spare ticket to the Preseason game on Saturday and invited me along, not having anything else big planned that night I thought to myself "sure why not" at seeing a NFL game for free. The tickets were said to be nose bleeds so I wasn't expecting much and was pleasantly surprised to discover that these were indeed not nosebleeds but pretty drat good seats. http://imgur.com/3LB10LJ

Anyway I thought I would make this thread so we can all share our thoughts on the different stadium experiences and where we think the best place to watch a NFL game is.

The good.
-I can't speak for the parking situation but having the T go right to the stadium was pretty darn nice especially since riding the T within downtown is free
-Wide range of food and beer options right near my seats, I really didn't venture far past that.
-It has the same sort of circular staircase/ramp they have over at PNC park and you know what, I think that is neat looking.

The Bad
-pulling a giant Terrible towel out onto the field as the Steelers came out of the tunnel in the same way most stadiums go with a giant American Flag during the anthem was a tad :wtc:
-No, loving, Leg room. I had better Legroom in the Dawgpound and the upper deck of First Energy (I'm 6'3" so ymmv)
-10 bucks for a cheap beer was a bit steep, but its been a few years since I went to a game
-Seriously, Terrible Towels are stupid
-No really, they are.
-The field didn't open up into a giant hole during the opening kickoff swallowing both teams.

Overall I had a good time and the fans weren't any more obnoxious than most sports fans but I think Heinz could use a renovation, it just looked sort of old and worn, and didn't even have close to the amenities of PNC park. But I guess the stadium fits the character of the city. Old and Worn but working on turning it around.

I'll update the OP after I go to Browns vs. Jets on October 1st since I haven't been to First Energy since before the renovation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I'm sad now.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Thought this would be a post about Stafford's recent payday

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
It was designed to be built very quickly, and eschewed most amenities so that it could start being built and completed within a 2 year time frame. It's very Spartan compared to most of the newer stadiums, but mostly so it could open on time and on budget. I've never been a big fan of the design.

As an aside, my dad pushed really hard to win the bid to build Heinz, but his nemesis got it lol. It was the last project that dad personally really poured his heart into before retiring. I'd never seen him that involved in a bid before.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I have been to one regular season NFL game. It was free luxury suite ticket to see Andrew Luck beat the Jags in a meaningless game so the coach could be 8 and 8 even though he should have been having surgery so he wouldn't be missing the first 8 games this season. There was a fridge of beer and nachos and pizzas in the suite that was owned by the indy star. (USA Today). My wife buys a lot of ads for her company but not enough to get invited to a game anyone would want to see. I had fun but my daughter ask now that they won what happens. I had to say they get a worse draft pick and the team they beat gets a better one.

Edit: I forgot there was a wall of TVs playing all the other games in the suite. I am not sure any of the early games mattered at that point.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 30, 2017

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I've had Pitt (NCAA) season tickets for the last two years. I've never seen an NFL game in Heinz Field, but the stadium has never quite felt NFL-worthy. I enjoyed watching Steelers vs. Browns on 1/1/2012 more, in Cleveland. Steelers won that game, but the Browns fans were super cool and the snow blowing off the roof late in the game was Sports Illustrated-esque.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Chris James 2 posted:

Thought this would be a post about Stafford's recent payday

I thought it was just going to be a picture of Glennon.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ill be in the new atlanta stadium for the gt - tennessee game

will post about it

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I went to the Kingdome once when I was young. Watched Warren Moon shithouse the Niners in the final game of the '97 season. The Kingdome was a pretty terrible stadium.
I've been to Century Link once. I got to watch Johnny Football lose. It was fun. And really loving loud. Even the nosebleeds had good views. http://imgur.com/yqU1Dmq

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Been to a few MAC Championship games in Ford Field. It's pretty drat huge but seats are good, food's solid, and they seem to have plenty of bathrooms. Parking's always been good but it's not like they're filling that place for BG vs. Northern Illinois on a friday night

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I've been to Jerryworld for two college football games and both of them would have been much better in the college stadiums instead of the monolithic soulless husk of corporate greed.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I have seen a few games in Wembley now, and though they almost entirely were terrible games featuring terrible teams, the experience itself is pretty novel and fun because it's just everyone who likes football in the UK showing up in whatever jersey they own. Beer is cheap just outside the stadium and you can drink outdoors before you go in. There's some decent bars to go to after the game to wait out the crush for the tube. Everyone tends to queue up for lager so if you can find one of the real ale vendors and aren't picky, the lineup is usually shorter. Overall it's worth going if you're already in town, as even tickets from scalpers (they call them touts there) just outside are pretty reasonable, especially compared to any stateside game featuring a half decent or California based team.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

we spent how much on this monstrosity

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Stadiums I've been to that I liked: Beaver Stadium, Raymond James Stadium
Stadiums I have been to that I feel extremely neutral towards: Neyland Stadium, Heinz Field
Bad Stadiums: FedEx Field, Three Rivers Stadium
Stadiums that their designers and owners should feel bad about having on their resumes: whatever the hell they call Dolphin Stadium these days

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Stadiums I've been to:
-M&T Bank (Ravens)
-Foxboro
-First Energy (browns)
-Century link
-Ralph Wilson

M&T Bank, Foxboro, and First Energy stadium were fine. They didn't really jump out to me, though I liked First Energy the best. Take that with a grain of salt however, as I had killer seats and was completely loving plastered for most of the game.

Century Link is legit a good stadium. It has a great look and has a lot of energy.

Ralph Wilson is a huge shithole.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
ive been to centurylink, and the metrodome

gently caress the metrodome im glad it got imploded

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dubious posted:

gently caress the metrodome im glad it got imploded

Dan Quisenberry posted:

I don't think there are any good uses for nuclear weapons, but, then, this might be one.

This when it was new, and it got so much worse over time.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

lucas oil has rats

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Nissan Stadium in Nashville is pretty crappy and boring and I wish the city could build a nice dome stadium so maybe we could get a Super Bowl.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

When I was in Nashville it was a little weird how prominent Nissan Stadium is. And why is there so much red?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Everbank is fairly nice.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I've only ever been to Soldier Field before renovation and Soldier Field after renovation. Liked it a lot better before but their field has always been garbo tier.

e:

Though thinking about it I have also been in the Super Dome in NOLA which impressed me by just how massive it is. I went all the way to the top and it felt like it was a straight shot down from the nosebleeds to the field, like the slope of the seats was insane it felt like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Sash! posted:

Stadiums I've been to that I liked: Beaver Stadium, Raymond James Stadium
Stadiums I have been to that I feel extremely neutral towards: Neyland Stadium, Heinz Field
Bad Stadiums: FedEx Field, Three Rivers Stadium
Stadiums that their designers and owners should feel bad about having on their resumes: whatever the hell they call Dolphin Stadium these days

Did you ever see the Giants at the Polo Grounds?

• Locked thread