Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Teams we still need busts for:
Cardinals

Matt Leinart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Let me tell you all about a fella named Christian Ponder.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Looking over the list alternate suggestion for the Cards: Kelly Stouffer.

He was probably actually worse than Matt Leinart which...takes some doing.

e: Oh poo poo I either never knew this or forgot all about it. Stouffer was drafted 6th overall but refused to sign with the Cardinals. They traded him to the Seahawks after he sat out a year where he proceeded to do absolutely nothing good...ever. I don't know if this makes it better or worse for the Cardinals organization.

My god this sentence from his wiki article is 2017 Jets QB lineup bleak:

quote:

Once Seahawk head coach Chuck Knox was replaced by Tom Flores and Dave Krieg was let go, Stouffer won the starting job, beating out Dan McGwire and Stan Gelbaugh.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 12, 2017

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
For the Packers it's Tony Mandarich, and I don't think Reynolds comes close.

Just the opportunity cost alone - the rest of that top 5 is amazing, Aikman, Barry, Deion, and Mandarich was supposed to be the safe, smart, amazing pick, the lineman to define all linemen for the next decade.

And after the realization that it was all steroids, and after he flamed out and got cut, he still lingered on, I think the Colts used him for a few years, where he also did awful. Just flat out the worst pick the Packers have ever made, and could easily contend for biggest bust - who went behind him in the draft combined with him being the no-brainer You Must Take This Guy There Is No Way He Can Fail pick.

Abugadu fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 12, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Why we operating under the illusion that Aikman was anything special?

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Man, I'm really starting to consider changing Dave Brown to Ereck Flowers as my Giants pick.

I never saw John Hicks play and Cedric Jones at least had one decent season.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
49ers worst bust has to be Jim "Druck's got a howitzer" Druckenmiller. The team also ignored Walsh's suggestion to pick him, as he told them to pick Plummer to be Young's replacement.

TzuWu
Feb 13, 2014

Timby posted:

Cade McNown, Cedric Benson, Curtis Enis, Rick Mirer, Gabe Carimi, Chris Williams, David Terrell, Rashaan Salaam, John Thierry, Marc Colombo, Alonzo Spellman, Bob Sapp, oh my God gently caress the Bears...

I was going to say Kevin White and then saw your post and was reminded on how many bad picks the Bears have made over the years.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Intruder posted:

Why we operating under the illusion that Aikman was anything special?

He was a bottom of the top 5 guy in his brief prime (1992-1995 seasons) when playing in pretty much the most ideal situation you can imagine (god tier OL, HOF RB, HOF WR, elite defense) so... kinda-sorta?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Troy Aikman was basically Ken Dorsey on those University of Miami teams

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

sean10mm posted:

He was a bottom of the top 5 guy in his brief prime (1992-1995 seasons) when playing in pretty much the most ideal situation you can imagine (god tier OL, HOF RB, HOF WR, elite defense) so... kinda-sorta?

He won Superbowls with arguably the best defense in the NFL, one of the best skill position cores including a top 5 GOAT RB, and probably the best offensive line in the NFL

Also I'm semi-trolling

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Even Aikman's postseason numbers weren't that gaudy. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AikmTr00.htm#passing_playoffs::none

Outside of '92 its high completion % but not much else.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Cash Monet posted:

Even Aikman's postseason numbers weren't that gaudy. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AikmTr00.htm#passing_playoffs::none

Outside of '92 its high completion % but not much else.

The 1992, 1993 and 1995 postseasons he averaged a passer rating over 100. Those runs were legit. He also went HAM and threw 4 TDs in that first Super Bowl.

By the 1996 season he was already in marked decline, and physically he just fell off a cliff after that.

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

oldskool posted:

Not a Rams fan but if we find one can they argue against Lawrence Phillips as the team's biggest draft bust? Picked #6 in 1996, was cut midway through 1997 for playing while intoxicated, and came back in 1999 with the 49ers only to miss a block & end Steve Young's career.

Also they traded Jerome Bettis on the same day of the draft because of it. It's most definitely the worst.

Runner Up:

Jason Smith in 2009 was also a disaster, and a shining example of the Rams front office ineptitude. A guy who mostly played TE in college they tried to convert to full time tackle who was outmatched by everyone that lined up across from him. Coupled with this was the fact that the Rams were basically a one dimensional offense in 2009 with Steven Jackson and almost every scout was saying that Jason Smith couldn't run block, and boy did he prove it. Edit: this is the year they went 1-15

Honorable Mentions:

Mike Martz tried to convert two QB's in 2002 into other positions. Eric Crouch into a WR and Steve Bellisari into a safety. Neither started a game. In 2002 Kurt Warner went down with an injury, and Jamie Martin took over for him. Jame Martin then got injured and Marc Bulger took over. Then Marc Bulger got injured. I consider this punishment for those two draft picks. Also the entire 2002 Rams draft was just poo poo.

Oh, Alex Barron as well. 1st round pick, terrible, and we traded him for...Bobby Carpenter.

RecoomesSexyRear fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 13, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
NOMINATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED

RUNOFF VOTING LASTS 48 HOURS

Bears Runoff: Curtis Enis vs. Kevin White
Bills Runoff: Aaron Maybin vs. (OT) Mike Williams
Broncos Runoff: Alphonso Smith vs. Jarvis Moss vs. Ted Gregory
Cardinals Runoff: Matt Leinart vs. Andre Wadsworth
Cowboys Runoff: Bobby Carpenter vs. David Lafleur
Eagles Runoff: Freddie Mitchell vs. Danny Watkins
Giants Runoff: Dave Brown vs. Ereck Flowers
Redskins Runoff: Laron Landry vs. Desmond Howard
Seahawks Runoff: Aaron Curry vs. Rick Miller
Steelers Runoff: Mike Adams vs. Jarvis Jones vs. Jamain Stephens
Vikings Runoff: Dimitrius Underwood vs. Christian Ponder

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Kevin White's injury takes him past Enis. 3 seasons, 5 games. ridiculous

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

mastershakeman posted:

Tony Mandarich is arguably the biggest bust in terms of What Could Have Been . packers take a lovely lineman at #2 instead of having one of Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas or Deion Sanders (the next 3 picks) for their Favre led teams.
God drat it why did you have to remind me of that

It really may have been the difference between Favre with one ring and Favre with 3 or 4.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 13, 2017

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

all-Rush mixtape posted:

That's Rick Mirer. I might be the only one here to experience his magic but I'll never forget.

Rick Mirer gets my vote for the Seahawks because it was after the 2-12 1992 season and Seahawks were awful for the rest of the 90s.

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 13, 2017

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Re: Jamain Stephens

"The huge offensive tackle, who started 10 games last season because of injuries and was listed as the starting right tackle entering camp, was so out of shape that he nearly collapsed on the 11th of 14 scheduled 40-yard runs. He was the only player who failed to complete them in an individual performance one scout called embarrassing.

Stephens, who paced his group in similar drills to open camp last summer, sat down after the 11th run. After his teammates gathered around him and urged him to continue, he got up and barely walked through two other 40-yarders"

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

It's hard to match Dimitrius Underwood in pure flame out level.

Ponder is the Cessna caught in a hurricane, pluckily trying it's darnedest even thought it's badly underpowered, that eventually slides into a glade and flops over.

Underwood was the Challenger space shuttle, cracking up before it could properly take off and falling to earth in pieces.

It's got to be Underwood.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Bears Runoff: Curtis Enis vs. Kevin White
Bills Runoff: Aaron Maybin vs. (OT) Mike Williams
Broncos Runoff: Alphonso Smith vs. Jarvis Moss vs. Ted Gregory
Cardinals Runoff: Matt Leinart vs. Andre Wadsworth
Redskins Runoff: Laron Landry vs. Desmond Howard
Steelers Runoff: Mike Adams vs. Jarvis Jones vs. Jamain Stephens

Danny Watkins for the Eagles

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Rick Mirer at least had a promising rookie season.

Aaron Curry had... nothing.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

all-Rush mixtape posted:

The second Ponder was drafted everyone knew it was a doomed hope, Underwood at least was supposed to be good. Hell he probably was good, just the voices had other plans for him.

Still think Williamson is the biggest bust because he actually made the field and proved what a huge mistake the pick was :colbert:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Danny Watkins

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Ereck Flowers

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Vando posted:

The second Ponder was drafted everyone knew it was a doomed hope, Underwood at least was supposed to be good. Hell he probably was good, just the voices had other plans for him.

Still think Williamson is the biggest bust because he actually made the field and proved what a huge mistake the pick was :colbert:

drat I forgot about Troy Williamson. Is it too late to change my nomination?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Lafleur wasn't good by any stretch, but by 1999 he was starting to show real improvement as a receiver, at which point his body fell apart on him.

Carpenter was a guy with all the physical talent in the world who was put in a great situation and failed because he was just a dipshit. To me that's worse. Also he was a higher draft pick.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Matt Leinart got kind of a raw deal from the Cardinals with Whisenhunt.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Can we go no QBs? It'd be more fun that way.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

mastershakeman posted:

Kevin White's injury takes him past Enis. 3 seasons, 5 games. ridiculous

Its just too early to go with White. As unlikely as it seems, the dude still has an outside shot of doing more than Enis. Personally, I think White's career is over, but in the spirit of a true bust competition I have to vote for Curtis Enis.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Cash Monet posted:

This but as a rule the NFL should adopt in general :getin:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah for the Steelers it has to be Stephens. Jarvis Jones was just a reach.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

edit: nevermind

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Cash Monet posted:

If we go no QB, it's loving Tony Mandarich and I can't even think of anyone else who comes close.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, I expected more runoff voting, but I said 48 hours, so the following players are locked:

Cowboys: Bobby Carpenter
Eagles: Danny Watkins
Giants: Ereck Flowers
Steelers: Jamain Stephens
Vikings: Dimitrius Underwood

Still need final tiebreakers for Chicago, Buffalo, Denver, Arizona, Washington, and Seattle.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
sweet jiminy christmas I didn't even think it was possible to have a bigger bust in Giants recent history than Dave Brown but holy poo poo Ereck Flowers does not belong in the NFL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Fenrir posted:

If we go no QB, it's loving Tony Mandarich and I can't even think of anyone else who comes close.

And that's as strong a contender in the tournament.

• Locked thread