Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are your thoughts on ancient history?
WHO THE HELL CARES OP
I like history
:iiam:
gently caress you
goku
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDD!
View Results

• Locked thread
Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

romans were into boy loving a lot so i bet theywould have made great mods. also the last romans got rekt by the muslims which is kinda like we the rest of the western society are getting rekt now lol poo poo

lol drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

skasion posted:

This is probably a case of bullshit gossip getting passed down from antiquity as if it were real. It's possible that she did intrigue against some members of the family and she certainly was rumored to have poisoned people, but a lot of that could have been just malicious talk and it's extremely difficult for me to see what she would have gained by poisoning Augustus specifically: they had been married for 50 years (it was a love match also, not arranged), during which time they had consistently had a strong working relationship despite a consistent failure to produce an heir of his body, and Augustus was old and had never been in robust health to begin with.

I do love Sian Phillips' Livia in I Claudius though, it's a great performance. If you want to see Livia that way you should check it out, great piece of TV.

Oh I read it in some Augustus biography but yes the author plainly says it's probably fiction but he describes the scene to make the book more interesting

The reason was apparently he was quite sick so it was sort of a mercy kill

• Locked thread