Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurt Loadeater
May 15, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

When I was in grad school, I really liked my courses on program evaluation and regression analysis. Stuff like STATA.

Are there any good accreditation or certificate programs? I want to; refresh old memory, learn new skills, and have a tangible thing to show employers that I know how to do program evaluation.

Creds/certs, probably no. I'd probably try to start with driverless AI just to get a feel for what's currently being offered from that perspective, like h2o, data robot, or azure's ML workspace. The latter is rough but it has some promise, with some explanatory functionality in preview mode. Then branch out into tidy looking Jupyter notebooks on a Github somewhere, hopefully focused on real world/business use cases. Get some experience deploying trained models to the cloud and lambda/serverless functions in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurt Loadeater
May 15, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mearn posted:

I'm currently going through a Master's program in Data Science. It's an online program, which isn't really ideal and honestly I haven't found much of the material to be much more informative than a DataCamp subscription would be. I know an online program isn't really the best choice. I've got two semesters left at this point and it's all being paid for by my current employer, so I'm going to stick it out. I guess my plan from here is to just work on personal projects and try to build a portfolio in the meantime, since I'm not sure how much value this degree is going to have on my resume.

Missing out on the networking opportunities of a physical masters program is a definite drawback and that's what I'm trying to figure out how to overcome now. I found a monthly Python meetup in my area, but it looks like most of their recent events have been more focused on Django and other topics that aren't necessarily data-oriented.

Being able to quickly stand up some API is a huge plus for anyone in the field, and some of those folks are awesome programmers. I work as DS lead for a design/prototype studio and the best programmer we have is some guy who loves doing everything in Django. I've learned a lot from him.

Learn just enough from that crowd and you can add 'deployed custom ML models to cloud API for real time analytics and what if scenario analysis' to your resume.

Kurt Loadeater
May 15, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kim Jong Il posted:

That's a weird quote, as Hive is widely used.

It's true that there's an oversupply at one specific point where people have been susceptible to get rich quick schemes, but there is massive undersupply elsewhere *at the entry level*, and massive undersupply at the higher levels. There are 100 people applying to one opening because in many cases, they aren't qualified.

And the piece is spot on that a ton of your team is spending doing data cleaning type things which honestly, a lot of the modeling/machine learning types are often bad at. But that doesn't have a whole lot to do with a CS degree. She has a very skewed viewpoint towards tech which is not representative of the entire field. Her advice at the end is mainly good.

Mostly a good article, though. I think many customers have been sold on ML/AI, but in reality haven't even begun to clean and bring their data together. Add in high expectations of what ML/AI can do and they think the failure is on the practitioners, when in reality they aren't even collecting the right data in the first place. For organizations with an advanced data platform and analytic capability already, the right data scientists will continue to add value. For the rest - there's quite a ways to go. Sure writing Python code and SQL queries is easy, but the low hanging fruit is gone.

It's still back to basics for many 'data scientists' - cleaning and engineering data, data lineage, basic visualization, and quickly prototyping ML/AI applications with the latest cloud technologies.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'll be starting as a jr software engineer in January after graduating from a boot camp in Vancouver this past October. AMA.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
I'm about midway thru a program. How was the job search? Located in Austin btw

Mantle
May 15, 2004

TropicalCoke posted:

I'm about midway thru a program. How was the job search? Located in Austin btw

I found it very positive, I had interviews with 6 companies in 5 weeks, 3 from my own applications and 3 from employers reaching out to the bootcamp for grads. Ended up with two good offers.

I'm the only one I know of that got hired from my own applications. 4 others got lucky and got hired from leads. Everyone else I think is being too passive to wait for bootcamp leads, imho.

It probably has no bearing at all on your job market though.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Is it me or are qualifications for Data Analysts starting to become more technical? I'm starting to find that positions are mentioning UNIX environment experience, scripting, SQL, Pandas/SciPy. This seems to be more than the SQL, SAS, Tableau mix I was accustomed to seeing 1-2 years ago.
I'm wondering if this is because of the skills being taught in data science courses saturating the market with applicants for analysts in data science roles rather than data scientists (like the analyst in consulting roles rather than the capital-c consultants)
Anyway, all the interesting Data Scientist roles I'm looking at are asking for a Masters/PhD now. Seems like if I land an analyst job I'll go about enrolling in the Georgia Tech online program.

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 17, 2019

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Is anyone still trying to do this? I know it's tough out there, so I wanted to offer to to have a chat with anyone struggling. Crazy to see that I'm 4 years in now and in my 40s.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Mantle posted:

Is anyone still trying to do this? I know it's tough out there, so I wanted to offer to to have a chat with anyone struggling. Crazy to see that I'm 4 years in now and in my 40s.

I just discovered that my unemployment will run out in three weeks, so while I'm waiting for Uber Eats to accept my background check, I am back to seriously looking at bootcamps. My experience has been in ecommerce, basically putting the words and pictures in for things that are for sale online and making them look nice, and creating overly-complicated Excel sheets that automate my job (paste a bunch of product data in column a, get an XML file in column b that I can import into salesforce). Also lots of photoshop.

Do you feel like the landscape has changed post-covid? That is, do you think you still would have gotten "interviews with 6 companies in 5 weeks" if you did it now?

My two biggest concerns are
a) finding the right bootcamp, because even reviews of the same one will range from "A+++++ I am a millionaire now" to "my teacher sucked and I wasted thousands of dollars," and
b) figuring out what track (front end, back end, full stack, data analyst, software engineer...) I would even want to do. My limited experiences with HTML, Javascript, and Python have been relatively positive, but CSS fuckin' sucks which is ironic because my background is like 50% design. Data analysis seems like reading tea leaves and I don't even know what being a software engineer requires.

I guess the answer to A is just "research and hope" but any insight or resources you might share with either would be greatly appreciated.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

The landscape has definitely changed, but not so much post COVID but post-free money. I definitely think I would not get the same number of interviews now as I did then. Even now with 4 years of experience I'm finding it hard to get interviews.

I would just ignore reviews for bootcamps. The real proof is what the graduates are actually doing with their lives. Find the alumni on LinkedIn and reach out to them. The more recent experience they have, the better-- the cohort from 4 years ago might have a very different experience than from last year.

When starting out, don't worry too much about specializing. Your goal should be just to land your first job. Personally I think it's easier to land a role if you are able to build something full-stack because you can build an application top to bottom.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Friend posted:

I just discovered that my unemployment will run out in three weeks, so while I'm waiting for Uber Eats to accept my background check, I am back to seriously looking at bootcamps. My experience has been in ecommerce, basically putting the words and pictures in for things that are for sale online and making them look nice, and creating overly-complicated Excel sheets that automate my job (paste a bunch of product data in column a, get an XML file in column b that I can import into salesforce). Also lots of photoshop.

Do you feel like the landscape has changed post-covid? That is, do you think you still would have gotten "interviews with 6 companies in 5 weeks" if you did it now?

My two biggest concerns are
a) finding the right bootcamp, because even reviews of the same one will range from "A+++++ I am a millionaire now" to "my teacher sucked and I wasted thousands of dollars," and
b) figuring out what track (front end, back end, full stack, data analyst, software engineer...) I would even want to do. My limited experiences with HTML, Javascript, and Python have been relatively positive, but CSS fuckin' sucks which is ironic because my background is like 50% design. Data analysis seems like reading tea leaves and I don't even know what being a software engineer requires.

I guess the answer to A is just "research and hope" but any insight or resources you might share with either would be greatly appreciated.

There’s too much to answer in this one post.

Ive hired python interns and devs, the market seems to be cooling for entry level bootcamp quality devs across industries. That shouldn’t stop you if it’s what you want to do. The “data analyst” types that pull data to be interpreted by someone else I predict as the highest long term career risk as many companies are showing success with downskilling this and/or making it so fast it’s not a standalone job. Ie the SMEs can now do it. Getting the data IN to the systems (ETL) I’ve not seen someone solve as there’s always dragons and systems to glue together.

6 companies interviews in 5 weeks would likely require ~100 applications to relevant jobs in 3 weeks. Before I’d expect this to require around 25 applications in 3 weeks.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

The other thing is I think long term it's still a good investment to make in yourself to develop the skill set, particularly if you actually enjoy the work. It just might not be an immediate payoff like it has been in recent years.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. I just did a little exploring on reddit and the consensus is that the job market is so weak and there is such a glut of entry-level programmers that it is nearly impossible to get a job from a bootcamp. People spending all year applying just to go back to their old career, or being informed that they were one of 6000 applicants so bootcamp grads just get thrown in the trash immediately.

On top of that, I feel like I really need an in-person one, and the only ones in my (very large!) city are run by companies with enough horrible reviews that I can't justify spending even half of what they charge in tuition. Honestly I can't even find a remote one that is somewhat reputable. I guess I'll just try to be more consistent about doing the udemy classes I bought earlier this year and hope the new year brings new opportunities. Really kicking myself for not doing this years ago.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I was lucky to have done an in person one immediately before COVID. I got so much more value out of the networking and in person learning than the following cohorts that were all remote. My bootcamp doesn't have returning to in-person on their roadmap at all (they are charging the same without any of the office overhead) and I think the value that current students are getting is much lower.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Friend posted:

I just did a little exploring on reddit

IMO Reddit has its own brand of cynical groupthink thats kinda like SAs but is particularly dogmatic in its opinions. Id be very wary of getting this type of input from there.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Mantle posted:

That's me. I've been doing online courses through https://www.launchschool.com for a couple of years now. It's a self paced program built around really mastering a section before moving on to the next section. The course has video interview/tests at the end of some courses which is one of the things that drew me to it, getting some practice at being given a problem, then thinking through a plan and talking about it aloud and actually coding up a solution. I've wrapped up all of the major problem-solving-rear end coding stuff (in Ruby) and am working through backend web-development currently.

So, currently, I feel very confident in my ability to break a problem down, understand what sort of data structure to use and why, and how to effectively translate a solution into code that works as expected. I've been applying without any luck while working through these classes. From what I can see, nearly all of those I see near me in the Oklahoma City Area list a ton of tools/frameworks/etc that I don't know anything about or are looking for someone who has a masters or doctorate degree in Computer Science. I've been applying to many of these anyway because anyone who has been doing this stuff for a bit knows that the fundamentals and overall understanding are key, the specifics of a given framework are just a matter of adjustment. Right now, sending out applications, resumes, and cover letters feels like a waste of time and is really discouraging when the response back is mostly silence with the occasional rejection email.

A downside to not being part of a bootcamp is that I don't really have a network of people to check in with and use for help in finding employment doing this stuff. That's on me too, I like just sitting down and plugging away at this stuff but coding and learning in isolation doesn't do a lot to telegraph to the world that I can do this stuff and someone should pay me for it. Everything I read about finding a job doing this stresses the importance of building out a network and taking advantage of it. I listened to a book by the guy that runs freecodecamp and half of that book is just about networking and making a big list of people you've met and checking in with them about what they're doing and whether you can help them, it kinda grossed me out thinking of cultivating these fake friendships specifically for career advancement in such an artificial way. What would you or anyone else recommend that I start doing so that I can increase the chances that someone will pay me to do this stuff?

As for what I've done: Lots of smaller projects, but I never know if I should put something I do with the guidance of a class as a demonstration of my abilities. Something I'm proud of is a small game I made in Love/LUA called "Guess Wu?" It's a music clip guessing game featuring members of the Wu Tang Clan. I have it listed on my resume but it might just make me look like I want to make games. (I do on the side, but I'm happy to get paid to code and solve problems too)

Demonstration videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05fRa2lPiZU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-0KUcjJ9UI

The executable is available here: https://github.com/Jolomono/Guess-Wu/releases/

Jolo fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

It's really tough at the beginning when you aren't getting responses from your resume because it's not easy to distinguish between "I don't have the right profile" and "the market sucks" when you are getting zero feedback.

What gave me a big boost in knowledge was when I was applying to a bazillion jobs and able to A/B test different things in my resume to get a sense of what was working and what wasn't.

It might need a bit of thick skin, but have you posted your resume for feedback in the resume thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553582

If you're not ready for that I am happy to take a look privately (DM me a link).