Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Hi, I woke up super late today and feel very out of it, but I'll have my poo poo together by tonight to do a stream, so please come hang out.

This is going to be the last stream for this game. Finishing up getting cash and gaps in the last three levels of the game. I'll also work on either having a new video up tonight, or the recording of last night's stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
All the gaps done, all the pro challenges done, brings a tear to my eye. Our little THPS4 is almost done. I'm glad to see more of the game than I bothered doing, since it's the game I missed out on when I was a kid.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/YBWy1uOvG68

Saturday's stream is now up on YouTube.

Also,

:smith:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked you accidentally unmuting the youtube video showing the world that the person helping you get the last few gaps was like, 12 years old. :3:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Nah, the videos I was looking at didn't have any voice; They are straight-up guide videos.

It would have been an ad that was playing before the vid, or when I had to reload Twitch and it unmuted the stream to play an ad on there.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something really annoying with these games is that sometimes the gaps seem impossible. In THAW I'm trying to get the manual-the-red-carpet gap in classic mode Minneapolis, but even getting special, maxing out my speed, air and manual and building momentum I just cannot get the manual all the way inside the theatre, because at the end there are a lot of stairs to go up and it kills my momentum too much. So annoying. Although I'm getting better at using special tricks in the Mall trying to get the 300000 point sick score, I just need to get more consistent with them, as I can get combos of 60/70 thousand plus, just not consistently.

Also I like how that game did showing where the gaps are. It left it to you entirely to figure it out, but once it's been done once it puts a screenshot of the gap in the background when it's highlighted in the list so you can remember for if you want to do it again.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 27, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

Something really annoying with these games is that sometimes the gaps seem impossible. In THAW I'm trying to get the manual-the-red-carpet gap in classic mode Minneapolis, but even getting special, maxing out my speed, air and manual and building momentum I just cannot get the manual all the way inside the theatre, because at the end there are a lot of stairs to go up and it kills my momentum too much. So annoying. Although I'm getting better at using special tricks in the Mall trying to get the 300000 point sick score, I just need to get more consistent with them, as I can get combos of 60/70 thousand plus, just not consistently.

You'll get there buddy. I believe in you. :) Have you tried doing the manual in the opposite direction? Going down the stairs will build up momentum and carry you further than trying to start out on flat land and go uphill.

Including gaps in the game always seemed to be of two minds. Like some are designed to be included in combos to build up points and your multiplier, but then you have other gaps that are clearly in there just as an accomplishment.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Jamesman posted:

You'll get there buddy. I believe in you. :) Have you tried doing the manual in the opposite direction? Going down the stairs will build up momentum and carry you further than trying to start out on flat land and go uphill.

Including gaps in the game always seemed to be of two minds. Like some are designed to be included in combos to build up points and your multiplier, but then you have other gaps that are clearly in there just as an accomplishment.

You were right. I was misreading the guides, they all said from the theatre entrance, so I thought they meant the entrance to the theatre building then entering it. They meant the entrance to the theatre as in screen within the movie theatre, aka the top of the stairs, as I found in a video - I just started the manual too late each time exiting the theatre. I now have all the gaps in Minneapolis! Yay! That video helped me find the rest, the rest were relatively easy.

Here's a diagram to show my confusion - I thought the guides meant the Building Entrance, due to in my mind that being the entrance to the theatre building. it meant the entrance to the actual auditorium within the theatre, marked at the top. The stairs are markes showing where my progress was hampered. The external box was to help me keep things to scale, the lines within it are the walls of the theatre that only exist to be level boundaries.

The burgundy rectangle is the red carpet

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 27, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Here's the last THPS4 stream.

https://youtu.be/9XRiZXvMCjM

We've got three videos left for the game, and then we're all done. :)

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Thanks for the LP so far. I found my old copy of THPS2 and the thing still works fine even though it's a little scuffed up. It's amazing to see how far these games got over the years along with the soundtrack and humor.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Why is Tony Hawk such a successful cameo actor? He always has the best lines :v: /skatingpuns

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Edit: As an aside, my last stream recording got hit with 3 different copyright claims through 15 different parties. That's impressive.

The previous streams didn't get any hits so I don't know what changed. Thank god we're not using those songs anymore and this LP is almost done.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 29, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Only one video left. After that, it'll be time for a NEW PROJECT.

And I want to talk to you guys about it. Right now, I'm leaning towards a game that I've never played before, but it's a strategy-type game. I was thinking that I might do streams of it on the weekend where you can see me loving around and getting familiar with levels, and then I would make videos where I use a good strategy to play through levels.

Would this work for you? Would you be around on weekends to watch? Would you want to watch? Would you rather me just make videos of me playing totally blind?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I thought the Jim Carrey Riddler = Tom Hardy Bane jokes were amazing. "Nobody cared who I was until I put on the mask.... then I was smooookinnn'" :3:

Also the shopping cart thing looks really dumb. At least American Wasteland's BMX stuff had unique and interesting controls, and even though the missions involving it were right at the end they knew you probably didn't have any experience with them and gave you really easy BMX missions compared to that stage of the game's skateboarding missions.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 29, 2017

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The custom skater's mission being significantly harder is a commentary on how hard it is for newbies to break into the pro skater world, while the "real" pros are able to coast by on mediocrity. Also Bam. I'm not sure how his challenge fits into this narrative.

Jamesman posted:

And I want to talk to you guys about it. Right now, I'm leaning towards a game that I've never played before, but it's a strategy-type game. I was thinking that I might do streams of it on the weekend where you can see me loving around and getting familiar with levels, and then I would make videos where I use a good strategy to play through levels.

Would this work for you? Would you be around on weekends to watch? Would you want to watch? Would you rather me just make videos of me playing totally blind?

I'd be down for the streams, unless it's the type of game that expects you to go in blind I guess.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Momomo posted:

I'd be down for the streams, unless it's the type of game that expects you to go in blind I guess.

I was thinking about it, but I don't feel like it's the kind of game that would benefit from a fully blind playthrough. There'd be way too much trial and error.

Edit: If you mean should YOU go into the videos blind without watching the streams, it would be entirely up to you. What you would be seeing in the streams is me loving around and developing strategies, so you would get to see the missions and stuff before videos come out, but the videos would be using more effective strategies. Think of it like this game, where I did the streams to get gaps and cash, but it wasn't essential to the videos.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 30, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

We are now completely done with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4. I hope I was able to show the game off relatively well and I hope you guys enjoyed the playthrough. :)

Moving forward; tomorrow, I will be doing a stream starting around 7:30pm EST to kick off the next game I'm working on. I would really appreciate if people could come hang out and chill for a couple hours. And if you know the game, maybe you can give some sage advice while there.

Here's a hint: It's a game in the spirit of the season.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
I remember playing this when I was younger. I think I got up to the zoo before I started using the cheats and then I kinda lost the interest because cheats don't actually help with the most frustrating parts. Nice to see how the rest of the game is after all these years.

Thank you for the LP.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Edit: Nevermind. Guess tonight's not a good night, so maybe next weekend or something.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 2, 2017

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

A Tony Hawk game I never got around to playing. Thanks for the excellent LP!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's a bit late to give this advice now I guess heh, but you should post your stream links here as well as the dedicated post-your-stream thread if you aren't, you'll get more viewers to rock out to your midis that way.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 2, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

It's a bit late to give this advice now I guess heh, but you should post your stream links here as well as the dedicated post-your-stream thread if you aren't, you'll get more viewers to rock out to your midis that way.

I have been, but thank you. If people can't make it or aren't interested, all I can do is keep working harder to expand my audience. :)

Anyway, the next game I'm playing is Ghost Master for the PC. If streams can't be well incorporated into the plan due to low turnout, I'll just do the video portion in a more casual, blind-style.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Jay, figured you'd enjoy this if you haven't seen it already - from two years ago, Tony Hawk figuring out how to skate the first ever downward spiral loop. He basically has to figure out the physics behind it before he can work out what movements to make. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaf8zHp-iaY He doesn't even know if it will be skateable at the beginning, but drat it he's gonna try.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Thanks a lot for this lp, you brought some more fun into a game I wasn't too hot on. Looking forward to your next project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
It's great to have you back. This was fun.

• Locked thread