Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mauldoon
Nov 9, 2009
Problem description: I built this pc in July and started having blue screen crashes immediately. It seems to mostly happen when playing a game(it has crashed with Watch Dogs 2, The Escapists 2, Battlefield 1, and the Destiny 2 Beta) and when watching videos on youtube or any other site. It was crashing for a few days while playing Watch Dogs 2 so I reinstalled my video card driver and that seemed to fix it for a few weeks until it started crashing again out of nowhere, so I reinstalled the driver again but it didn't seem to help this time. The last 5 Minidumps that WhoCrashed shows are: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION with ntoskrnl.exe and ntkrnlmp.exe, APC_INDEX_MISMATCH with ntoskrnl.exe, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION with win32kfull.sys,and KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED with e1d65x64.sys. I can attempt to post my Minidumps if that would be helpful.

Attempted fixes: Updating the BIOS, used Display Driver Uninstaller to reinstall my video card driver two separate times, ran Memtest with no errors, ran sfc /scannow and chkdsk with no errors, downloaded driver updates from MSI and Intel.

Recent changes: I built this computer around the middle of July of this year.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64 bit

System specs: Seasonic 650-Watt PSU, EVGA Geforce GTX 1080, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, WD Blue 3TB hard drive, MSI Z270 motherboard, Corsair 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz, Intel Core i7-7700k 4.2Ghz, Phanteks Dual Tower CPU Cooler.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I am running out of things to try and any help would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machaon
Sep 2, 2008
Um, kind of a long shot maybe, but how is this PC connected to the internet? Is it wired using the ethernet port on the motherboard? Pretty much I am thinking it is possibly the NIC driver, and not the video card driver, that is the problem. Those games are online games yes (I don't know all of those games, so I dunno)? Have you had problems with games that are not connected to the internet at all? Is the PC always connected to the internet? If so, maybe disconnect it, and play whatever game you can and see how it goes.

Mauldoon
Nov 9, 2009

Machaon posted:

Um, kind of a long shot maybe, but how is this PC connected to the internet? Is it wired using the ethernet port on the motherboard? Pretty much I am thinking it is possibly the NIC driver, and not the video card driver, that is the problem. Those games are online games yes (I don't know all of those games, so I dunno)? Have you had problems with games that are not connected to the internet at all? Is the PC always connected to the internet? If so, maybe disconnect it, and play whatever game you can and see how it goes.

Thank you for the reply. Yes it is a wired connection going into the ethernet port on my motherboard. I received a few more blue screen crashes before I could try your suggestion. They were: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED with storport.sys, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION with tcpip.sys, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL with ntoskrnl.exe, and KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE with win32kfull.sys.

After those I disconnected my network cable from my pc and got a KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE with ntoskrnl.exe blue screen within about an hour.

Machaon
Sep 2, 2008
Before I go on, you should note I'm barely above novice with this stuff, so all my suggestions should be taken with a grain of poo poo.

That said, it sounds like the system is having problems reading files. Likely files from one driver or another, or multiple drivers (I'm still kind of leaning towards LAN). Some files may have been corrupted on install, or afterward by faulty memory, bad drives, or malware. I think malware unlikely, but could be worth looking into if you haven't already. I think, if it were my system giving me this poo poo, I would start reinstalling drivers one at a time, starting with the LAN driver. I would do it all manually too. I wouldn't use any kind of auto update/install, "search for compatible drivers" or whatever bullshit.

Another thing that is a little suspicious to me now is your SSD. I haven't had the pleasure of owning one of these yet, so I have literally zero experience loving with them, so I would be even less help there than I already am. However, the fact that you temporarily fixed the problem by reinstalling the VC drivers, only to have them come back later leads me to suspect it. It may be a problem with how it's set up, rather than a problem with the drive itself. Make sure the firmware is up to date first and foremost. In fact I'd probably do that even before loving with the drivers. If it is the SSD, then reinstalling the right driver may again fix the problem, only to have it come back later when it corrupts something again.

• Locked thread