Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome goonlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2014, refer to archives]

2014:
January: Ursula K. LeGuin - The Left Hand of Darkness
February: Mikhail Bulgalov - Master & Margarita
March: Richard P. Feynman -- Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!
April: James Joyce -- Dubliners
May: Gabriel Garcia Marquez -- 100 Years of Solitude
June: Howard Zinn -- A People's History of the United States
July: Mary Renault -- The Last of the Wine
August: Barbara Tuchtman -- The Guns of August
September: Jane Austen -- Pride and Prejudice
October: Roger Zelazny -- A Night in the Lonesome October
November: John Gardner -- Grendel
December: Christopher Moore -- The Stupidest Angel

2015:
January: Italo Calvino -- Invisible Cities
February: Karl Ove Knausgaard -- My Struggle: Book 1.
March: Knut Hamsun -- Hunger
April: Liu Cixin -- 三体 ( The Three-Body Problem)
May: John Steinbeck -- Cannery Row
June: Truman Capote -- In Cold Blood
(Hiatus)
August: Ta-Nehisi Coates -- Between the World and Me
September: Wilkie Collins -- The Moonstone
October:Seth Dickinson -- The Traitor Baru Cormorant
November:Svetlana Alexievich -- Voices from Chernobyl
December: Michael Chabon -- Gentlemen of the Road

2016:
January: Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog!) by Jerome K. Jerome
February:The March Up Country (The Anabasis) of Xenophon
March: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
April: Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling
May: Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima
June:The Vegetarian by Han Kang
July:Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees
August: Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
September:Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
October:Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
November:Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
December: It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis

2017:
January: Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut
February: The Plague by Albert Camus
March: The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin
April: The Conference of the Birds (مقامات الطیور) by Farid ud-Din Attar
May: I, Claudius by Robert Graves
June: Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky
July: Ficcionies by Jorge Luis Borges
August: My Life and Hard Times by James Thurber

Current:

The Peregrine by J.A. Baker

Book available here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0053TI8KC/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

About the book:

quote:

JA Baker’s The Peregrine is 50 years old, but it feels as if it were written yesterday. In the half century since its publication, this fierce little book has only tightened its talon grip on us. It reads now as uncannily prophetic: of the Anthropocene (our geological age, in which human activity is now the dominant influence on the environment), of extinction events, of dark ecology – even of virtual reality. In ancient Rome a haruspex was a person trained in a form of divination based on inspecting the entrails of sacrificed animals. Baker’s book – strewn as it is with eviscerated birds, obsessed as it is with prediction – is a text of killing and foretelling: of seeing the future in blood and guts. It has haruspicated our present, and I suspect its prescience is not yet all used up.

The story of The Peregrine’s writing is remarkable, and has a mystery at its heart. For around a decade – from 1954 to 1964 – a myopic office worker from Essex tracked the peregrine falcons that hunted over the landscape of his county. He pursued them on bicycle and on foot, watching through binoculars as they bathed, flew, stooped and roosted. He carried Ordnance Survey maps on which he marked in ballpoint pen the locations of his sightings, with circled capital letters – P, SH, HH, BO – recording raptors by species (M is for Merlin, K is for Kestrel). He learned to predict the peregrines’ locations by means of an intelligence that began as logic and ended as instinct, and in a relationship that began as fascination and ended as obsession.

Even the savage winter of 1962–63 – when the sea froze for two miles out from the shore, and spear-length icicles hung from eaves and trees – didn’t deter Baker from his quest. After a day in the field, he would retreat to the spare room of his Chelmsford terrace house, and write up the details in journals that together run to more than 1,600 manuscript pages.

In the mid-1960s, he compressed those journals into a book fewer than 60,000 words long, and written in ecstatic, violent, enraptored prose. The journals were coal to The Peregrine’s diamond: crushed, they became the book. He collapsed 10 years into a single “season of hawk-hunting”, and “stripped” the narrative “down to the livid bone”, to borrow a phrase from one of his early poems. Instead of plot, he deployed pattern. The same actions recur across the book’s course: man pursues falcon, falcon pursues prey.

. . .

The mystery: at some point during the writing of The Peregrine, Baker went back to his journals and destroyed nearly all the passages in which he had recorded his field-sightings of the falcons. He left no account of why he had done so, and no version of the originals. By means of this redaction, he ensured that the most astonishing sequences of the published book flew free from any tether, and could not, as it were, be read back against the real.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/apr/15/the-peregrine-by-ja-baker-nature-writing

About the Author

He's the guy who wrote this book.

quote:

Reading “The Peregrine,” we learn nothing about Baker’s father and mother, his sexual preferences, or his domestic arrangements, except that he travels by bicycle. Until 2013, when Baker’s brother-in-law, Bernard Coe, and the ornithologist John Fanshawe gave Baker’s papers to the University of Essex, little was known. In addition to letters, mainly to schoolboy friends, and maps of his ornithological sightings, the archive contains meticulous bird-watching diaries, spanning the years from which Baker drew on to write “The Peregrine,” as well as partial and full typescript copies of that book, and a later one, “The Hill of Summer,” published in 1972, which is a more general appreciation of the geography and landscape of Essex.

We learn that John Alec Baker was born in 1927, in Chelmsford, and attended the King Edward IV Grammar School. An early photograph shows a towheaded young man with horn-rimmed glasses, and an open, contemplative expression. His nearsightedness kept him from military service. He married a local girl, Dorothy Coe, and worked first for the Automobile Association, although he never learned to drive, and then later for the Britvic Juice Company. In 1970, three years after the publication of “The Peregrine,” he was diagnosed with severe rheumatoid arthritis, the symptoms of which—joint pain, swelling, and stiffness—he was surely suffering while traversing the cold, dank Essex estuaries in winter. He died in 1987, from cancer developed from taking the drugs to combat his arthritis.

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/the-beauty-of-j-a-bakers-the-peregrine

Pacing

Please bookmark the thread to encourage discussion.

References and Further Reading

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peregrine_falcon

Final Note:

Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys the book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I know, missed chance for the Falconry tag! Working on it.

edit: falconry achieved

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 4, 2017

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I bought this for someone just a couple weeks ago, I'll have to see if I can mooch it back off them before the month is out. I've wanted to read this since I first heard of it maybe a year ago.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I read this earlier in the year as my wildcard for the book challenge thread. It was extremely chill. I kinda wished I had waited until I went on my annual trip to northern Wisconsin so I could have read it on a boat by the lakeside while actual eagles flew around above me.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Looks intriguing, I'm in.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

quote:

I’m Werner Herzog, I’m a filmmaker normally but I do read. The book I would really recommend is an obscure book published in 1967: “The Peregrine,” by J.A. Baker, who is somebody about whom we know nothing, literally nothing. He wrote in Great Britain when the last peregrines were dying out—now they have bounced back a little bit. He observes peregrines and it’s a most incredible book. It has prose of the caliber that we have not seen since Joseph Conrad. And an ecstasy—a delirious sort of love for what he observes.

The intensity and the ecstasy of observation is something that you have to have as a filmmaker or somebody who loves literature. Whoever really loves literature, whoever really loves movies, should read that book.

In a way, it’s almost like a transubstantiation, like in religion, where the observer becomes almost the object—in this case the falcon—he observes. He writes, for example, about the falcon soaring high up, and then higher and higher until the falcon is only a dot. Then he writes, “and then we swoop down,” as if he had become a falcon himself. And there’s a variety of moments where you can tell that he has completely entered into the existence of a falcon. And this is what I do when I make a film, I step outside of myself into an ekstasis in Greek, to step outside of your own body, a point outside. Baker steps into the fog and in an ecstasy of observing the world it is unprecedented.

It’s a wonderful, wonderful book and it’s on my mandatory reading list of my Rogue Film School. They have to read Roman antiquities, Virgil, Georgics, for example, and old Icelandic poetry, and among others the Warren Commission Report on Kennedy’s assasination, which is a wonderful piece of literature, wonderful crime story. And incredible in its conclusiveness

https://www.ttbook.org/book/werner-herzogs-required-reading-peregrine

quote:

Baker's prose reads as laconic, but it is also rich, sensuous and occasionally extravagant. The enormous technical accomplishment of The Peregrine reveals a paradox at the heart of the greatest descriptive writing: as the language becomes more passionately exact, it becomes simultaneously more transparent, falling away instantly as it launches you into the reality it attends. It transports us far from the "human taint", deep into the unfolding actuality of the living world.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/book-of-a-lifetime-the-peregrine-by-ja-baker-1688881.html

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 6, 2017

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
just checked this out of the library. thrilled that it's short enough that i may even have time to read it

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Huh, I grew up in Essex not far from Chelmsford and I've never heard of this book. Definitely going to have to pick up a copy.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
in case any of you are on the fence about this book, i have to say that it scratches many of the same itches that people like whitman do for me; it's just wonderfully and beautifully written.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
I just gotta finish this other book that I'm like 70% done with and then I'll get right on it, I promise.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
I have to admit that given the subject matter, I didn't think a book could be written beautifully enough to just keep on holding my attention. It's not exactly something I would read in one sitting; I keep wanting to start and stop and restart so I can keep revisiting the imagery. Even the random cuts to "Bird Facts 101" aren't that distracting.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
yeah the prose is incredibly beautiful and i love the melancholy on every page

the birds are cool too

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I've been going through it slowly, I'm a little overwhelmed with books and hurricanes and side-projects, but I'm hoping to throw in some effort-posts this weekend.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
My feverishly distracted addle-brain made this hard to read except very slowly and in small sections, but goddamn does it rule. It's one of the few books I seek a copy of in every bookstore I go into. No luck yet.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Past the introductions (which make up like 20% of my Kindle version) and just into the narrative itself. Goddamn this is some beautiful prose, makes me want to just gently caress off from work and family and hang around outdoors all day.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Holy gently caress.

December 24th

The day hardened in the easterly gale, like a flawless crystal. Columns of sunlight floated on the land. The unrelenting clarity of the air was solid, resonant, cold and pure and remote as the face of the dead.

Near the brook a heron lay in frozen stubble. Its wings were stuck to the ground by frost, and the mandibles of its bill were frozen together. Its eyes were open and living, the rest of it was dead. All was dead but the fear of man. As I approached I could see its whole body craving into flight. But it could not fly. I gave it peace, and saw the agonized sunlight of its eyes slowly heal with cloud.

No pain, no death, is more terrible to a wild creature than its fear of man. A red-throaded diver, sodden and obscene with oil, able to move only its head, will push itself out from the sea-wall with its bill if you reach down to it as it floats like a log in the tide. A poisoned crow, gaping and helplessly floundering in the grass, bright yellow foam bubbling from its throat, will dash itself up again and again on to the descending wall of air, if you try to catch it. A rabbit, inflated and foul with myxomatosis, just a twitching pulse beating in a bladder of bones and fur, will feel the vibration of your footstep and will look for you with bulging, sightless eyes. Then it will drag itself away into a bush, trembling with fear.

We are the killers. We stink of death. We carry it with us. It sticks to us like frost. We cannot tear it away.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Need suggestions for next month.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've been thinking about reading Lucien of Samosata's True History ever since I heard a lady rave about it earlier this summer, I haven't read it yet though, so I suppose I can't really make a recommendation!

wikipedia posted:

A True History or A True Story (Ancient Greek: Ἀληθῆ διηγήματα, Alēthē diēgēmata; Latin: Vera Historia) is a parody of travel tales, by the Greek-speaking Assyrian author Lucian of Samosata, the earliest known fiction about travelling to outer space, alien life-forms and interplanetary warfare. Written in the 2nd century, the novel has been referred to as "the first known text that could be called science fiction".[1][2][3][4][5] The work was intended by Lucian as a satire against contemporary and ancient sources, which quote fantastic and mythical events as truth.

Lucian's True Stories eludes a clear-cut literary classification. Its multilayered character has given rise to interpretations as diverse as science fiction, fantasy, satire or parody, depending on how much importance scholars attach to Lucian's explicit intention of telling a story of falsehoods.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

I’m reading this book, The Peregrine, and it’s extremely boring.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Bandiet posted:

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive (lol) but I think it looks rad as gently caress!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bandiet posted:

I've been reading a few pages every night before I go to sleep

"Goddam" I think to myself as I fall asleep

"Those are some stone-cold awesome bird words"

Kinda like Proust but with a lot more bird murder

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

I see you hit up a Zelazny book a couple of years back; what about Lord of Light?

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

I've been reading a few pages every night before I go to sleep

"Goddam" I think to myself as I fall asleep

"Those are some stone-cold awesome bird words"

Kinda like Proust but with a lot more bird murder

Pretty much, but Proust is only boring in between story arcs. I’ve already fallen asleep reading this book both in the evening and in the middle of the day.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

If you want something suitably weird for October, how about Arthur Machen's The Three Impostors?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Next month should be Blackwater by Michael McDowell.

It has been described as Faulkner with incestuous sea monsters

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That doesn't sound good.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

A human heart posted:

That doesn't sound good.

Also described as The Hundred Years of Solitude of the paperback horror genre

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Are you talking about the 1st in the series or the 900 page full collection?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Unless the divine lightning strikes with inspiration it's probably gonna be Frankenstein

It seems like a copout I know but it's free, we've never picked it, and female author

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

your "its free" boner is exhausting and claustrophobic

If you are gonna do public domain at least do something a little avant garde like Carmilla or The King in Yellow

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I thought I already did Carmilla? Maybe it was just a poll option

We get like 2x the participation with books that are free downloads, goons don't believe in spending money or in libraries apparently

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 3, 2017

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Like, I guess I am wondering what exactly goons would talk about in something like Frankenstein since it already exists as a cultural ur-text you could write a thesis on without even having read it.

I think there has to be some element of discovery to BOTM if the discussion is going to be fruitful

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, I guess I am wondering what exactly goons would talk about in something like Frankenstein since it already exists as a cultural ur-text you could write a thesis on without even having read it.

I think there has to be some element of discovery to BOTM if the discussion is going to be fruitful

You'd think, but a lot of people still get surprised when you point out something as simple as "hey, it was written by a woman." On some level it's so well-known that nobody actually knows that much about it.

Also I saw this:

and it reminded me of

still valid points you raise

as book yoda, reconsider i will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

can we do this instead of frankenstein which everyone and their pet turtle has read fifteen times

• Locked thread