Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nonono, the LP's not dead. This mission's just really long and I had kind of forgotten about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y07F0oPx9Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfITkfVluUo

Literary Goodness

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Well, that was a fitting punishment for Jindosh, no doubt. He was so fascinated by the lights going out of his subjects' eyes, he got to experience it in the first person. Too bad he couldn't also gain any more useful knowledge out of it.

I would say that this non-lethal elimination is morally gray, yes, maybe even cruel beyond belief but it he brought it upon himself fully. I like a little bit of Dantean 'contrappasso' in these sorts of narratives. It is also fitting, this being ultimately a revenge narrative, that none of the outcomes of your actions be particularly pleasant for anyone involved.

I sincerely hope there's not another selling a Boyle into a dungeon forever, though. That made me squirm in my seat when I heard it, and is the reason I never finished a Dishonored non-lethal run.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

The way this really seems like it was written to be Emily's story makes me wonder: is the only reason Corvo is a playable character because they knew that otherwise they'd have a bunch of pissbabies whining on the internet about being "forced to play as a girl"?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Probably.

On the other end i enjoy Corvo's forced gravelly manly angerdad voice.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
There is also that Corvo has somewhat different Outsider powers. It could be considered a bonus mode where you can play through the game with the same abilities you had in the first.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Added the literature to the previous update.

taiyoko posted:

The way this really seems like it was written to be Emily's story makes me wonder: is the only reason Corvo is a playable character because they knew that otherwise they'd have a bunch of pissbabies whining on the internet about being "forced to play as a girl"?

As I recall they added in Corvo in just because they could. His inclusion was a decision they made fairly late in development and is probably intended as a bonus mode more than anything else, which is why he doesn't fit into the narrative as well as Emily. And honestly, it's probably for the best they didn't try and change the narrative to make him more relevant.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Regardless of the reasons, I like that he gets at least some characterization, even if it's Generic Angry Murderdad #64.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I would not be shocked at all if it was the perpetually tone deaf Bethesda being afraid the game wouldn't sell with a female protagonist.

Anyway, excellent LP. Ton of content.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Genocyber posted:

As I recall they added in Corvo in just because they could. His inclusion was a decision they made fairly late in development and is probably intended as a bonus mode more than anything else, which is why he doesn't fit into the narrative as well as Emily. And honestly, it's probably for the best they didn't try and change the narrative to make him more relevant.
The word coming from Harvey Smith is much more complicated than that.

What happened was they had about three different stories that were possible for Dishonored 2. One was another Corvo story, related to Bad Dudes finding Hot poo poo on Pandyssia and threatening the empire as a whole. Emily is still not really past the age of majority in that story and therefore they couldn't have possibly had her around.

Another was a distinct Emily story that occurred in her thirties, after Corvo had passed on, and had a lot to do with the Void. Delilah was not part of it and it had to do much more with a lot of the themes they talk about in the recent DLC; what happens when the Outsider's no more, etc. It had a very Lovecraftian overtone.

The third story was the one we got. Delilah's return and her subsequent bone to pick with Corvo and Emily. In the original story, both Corvo and Emily got away and worked together like bosses, and both had serious roles to play in the story - Emily getting a dose of reality on how things work, and Corvo having to deal with coming home. Naivete is the theme that ties the two of them together and accepting their mistakes is the ultimate climax. The overall new hot sequel take is that in Dishonored 1, the dishonor came from other people doing things to you, and what you did was all about taking it all back. In Dishonored 2, the dishonor comes from your own choices (albeit ones Corvo and Emily made before you had control of them) and what you did is all about atoning for that (or burying beneath a hundred bodies, as in high chaos).

The problem arose in that to really, really do that story justice, they would have had to make Dis2 a forced co-op game, or spend an immense amount of time designing partner AI - something that nobody at Arkane had any real experience in. So the call was made early on to write Corvo out since he'd had his game already. Late in development, Corvo was added back in as a choice when things started to come together and they realized that it would not be that much extra work to have him be part of the game. Corvo was a distinct part of the story from the beginning; any (imo, largely unjustified) feelings of him being 'tacked on' are simply due to the mechanical process of game creation than anything else. Nobody wanted to commit to more than they could deliver with the time and money they had.

Smith has emphatically said on Twitter that the idea of morons whining about having to play a girl never even entered his mind at any point during the development of Dis2.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 16, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I knew some of the extra stuff you brought up but not a lot of it so thanks for the effort post! I'm wondering, where did you learn all that information? I'm mainly wondering if there are articles/interviews I can look up or if I'll have to dig through Harvey Smith's twitter feed, since I remember him saying things near the game's launch about development and other stuff.

And FWIW, I would still call Corvo's inclusion as being tacked on. That he was once considered to be a much bigger part is irrelevant since, due to the nature of video game development, stuff like that can end up being added or removed at any time and the only thing that really matters is what's here in the finished product. And I don't mean that as a bad thing, either! Since they were unable to fully realize their shared Emily/Corvo experience I'm glad they focused on Emily to have a more focused narrative and added Corvo back in as more of a bonus thing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
There are tons of interviews both pre and just-post release where people asked him about a wide array of things - I'd have to go hunting for a lot of that again since it was spread over rps, ign, answers to people on twitter, etc. I think he also did a reddit AMA? I was following the news pretty closely because one of the things that came out in the massive infodump was that my build is almost identical to Corvo's in terms of height, weight, and proportions, so I ended up being more interested in the little details pretty naturally. I don't remember specific sources for each point right now, I'll try to dig them up when I have a spare second though.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I agree with you on the resolution to the Jindosh thing; it's simultaneously horrifying and what appears to be an attempt to leave Emily's hands "clean" as per the chaos mechanics of the game. While it's not much better in the first game, they really go out of their way to make the bad guys "bad" in this one, whereas Corvo encountered boat loads of assholes, except sometimes he had to work and ally with them (cf Havelock). It feels like some of that ambiguity is gone now, though of course the game still has time to throw some curves.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

That "cabbage with pork" comment is going to bother me in a way I can't quite describe for way longer than I want it to. :(

Killing Jindosh would almost be kinder, and with his mind reduced/impeded so much - he'd probably be killed by either his own mansion or the brutal reality outside soon enough. :(

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The best way to deal with Jindosh is to stop time during his smug intro, run through that wall of light and all the way around to his lab, then retract the bridge while he's still standing on it.

I think there's another way you can get the in the walls achievement too - if you're fast enough and can find the right spot to enter during the first big room shift, he think it was a malfunction. I think that's how I did it, since I never realized you could break the skylight in the first room.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 17, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

obligatory link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWSIHC2lvn4

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sindai posted:

I think there's another way you can get the in the walls achievement too - if you're fast enough and can find the right spot to enter during the first big room shift, he think it was a malfunction. I think that's how I did it, since I never realized you could break the skylight in the first room.

I had no idea that was a thing! Arkane's predictive abilities are master class, as always. :allears:

poo poo I knew I was forgetting something!

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

LashLightning posted:

Killing Jindosh would almost be kinder, and with his mind reduced/impeded so much - he'd probably be killed by either his own mansion or the brutal reality outside soon enough. :(

Fairly sure that once Duke Abele finds out his pet inventor can't build clockwork soldiers for him anymore, he'll probably deal with Jindosh pretty brutally.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Genocyber posted:

I had no idea that was a thing! Arkane's predictive abilities are master class, as always. :allears:

It's how my first run went. I spent the whole level wondering if I'd blown the achievement.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Is it? Could it be? Yes, it's an update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTBDJciHCME

Literature

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, this is a tricky level. I remember this one.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Appendix time. Meant to have it done sooner but welp!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PakG6CE6-jA

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 11, 2017

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I don't think Butterfly Effect is the best way to describe this situation. I would say this is more along the lines of Fisher King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
You did kill that guard (who killed her lover) and she did the unaware disappearing act; if you look closely, right before you spin around to find the other guards taking about them, her purse is flopping around on the ground.

• Locked thread