Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Put a satchel charge on the side grill of the char. Enjoy the Char-B-Que.

I have no idea how the gently caress I remember that.

This game was awesome back in the day. I was even part of the OKW high command splerge lords that got to dictate the overall game strategy until having a social life in the high school/college real world became more important than coming up with master chess strategies with 40 and 50 year old wwii nerds.

The original dev team was just never that talented and would promise the moon but never delivered on poo poo. Even back then, most of the programmers and artists were in their late 40s or 50s and morbidly obese and I think a couple of them died from massive strokes or heart attacks over the years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Avalanche posted:

The original dev team was just never that talented and would promise the moon but never delivered on poo poo. Even back then, most of the programmers and artists were in their late 40s or 50s and morbidly obese and I think a couple of them died from massive strokes or heart attacks over the years

I always got the impression that after the game launched they laid off pretty much everyone who knew how to code and do graphics, and what we were left with were the people who were the management during development changing titles to justify themselves sticking around. They had one guy who knew how to model but was mediocre at best at textures, but it was blatantly obvious that they had nobody who really knew how to code. Also, anybody remember that whole Motormouth drama? It's amazing this game survived for 16 years.

Just out of curiosity, can anyone give a breakdown of how the finally bucked the old staff and finally allowed community development? Is it literally that they all stroked out and died and the rest just retired?

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
They dropped down to a really small team around 2005-6 when I started playing and that stayed (with people slowly falling by the waysidein ones and twos) until pretty recently when the game was very nearly wrapped up for good, this was when the last two big 'names' of the old dev team left/were pushed - no-one really knows which. These guys were the ones who always came up with the reasons why stuff couldn't be added/changed or community members allowed to help. I never had much time for the current boss back in the day (he was a player) but I have to hand it to him, he's got the game from death's door through several point releases (something the old devs said could :supaburn:never happen:supaburn:), a full version patch, back to active development and released on steam.

They actually did have one very competent coder but his background was in networks and ISPs rather than gaming - they tasked him at one stage with rewriting their host and he spent years traipsing through almost completely undocumented code written by multiple people who didn't like each other. He managed to document most of it, pruned tens of thousands of lines of lovely code and re-wrote some of the systems. He wrote about in his blog, I don't code but it's often an amusing read - click below for a flavour:

https://kfsone.wordpress.com/2010/12/22/rewriting-the-grid/#more-3197

He left for blizzard and I think now works for facebook.

The motormouth thing was loving bonkers/hilarious and to this day I still can't quite wrap my head around it

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Can those of us who didn't pay attention to this for a decade get a recap or link to what you mean? Who was this guy?

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Haha! Siiicckkk. Killed a 110F-B in my sherman. I was sitting a ways back just off to the side of the road near the south side of town. The 110 lined up his strafing run from the north and I hit him right in the cockpit with a HE shell . Did my best so far with 16 kills. A couple of tanks and a handful of infantry. I also got a whopping 36 points for it with a RTB. :confuoot: Is linking steam screenshots allowed? I don't think I've ever had an occasion to post one on SA.

E: The points system is really weird. I ran around destroying 3 Axis FBs with another guy doing the supplying and I only got 10 points from all of it.

FalloutGod fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 27, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Banano posted:

They actually did have one very competent coder but his background was in networks and ISPs rather than gaming - they tasked him at one stage with rewriting their host and he spent years traipsing through almost completely undocumented code written by multiple people who didn't like each other. He managed to document most of it, pruned tens of thousands of lines of lovely code and re-wrote some of the systems. He wrote about in his blog, I don't code but it's often an amusing read - click below for a flavour:

It sounds like the past few years have all been just trying to unfuck what was first released and only now are we actually getting real updates, bloody surprising that the game survived all this.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
drat these last couple of days have been an allies roll. Looking at https://webmap.wwiionline.com/ there are only a dozen+ cities left as of this post.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Looks like the campaign is over and a vote is going on in the official forums on whether to start up a new one right away or to wait a few days. I also found a handy dandy guide if you're new that explains a lot of the nuances of the game. http://wwiionline.net/91st_Basic.pdf I personally didn't know about the double damage when blowing up field bases with HE charges on the tent poles as well what people meant when they said to warp into town. It also shows sapper spots for tanks and where to shoot if your using the infantry anti tank rifle. Some good stuff. :thumbsup:

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
The new campaign stars Sunday morning. I've been hitting good wills and thrift stores looking for decent joysticks so I can start flying and being a little better with armor. I'm looking forward to a brand new tier 0 start. I saw this at Frys Electronics. Does anyone know if its a decent joystick? http://www.frys.com/product/7931000?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

FalloutGod fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 1, 2017

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
That link doesn't work but if it's a CH product then almost certainly yes, CH stuff is very well made and usually lasts a long time. I'll be taking to the skies as well, love the early tier air game.

ok link works (sort of) on my non-ipad computer - thrustmaster is also a good make and should be perfectly fine.

Banano fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 1, 2017

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Ah sorry about the bad link. Its the basic 19.99 model. I'm going to a couple more thrift stores today and if nothing is available I'll just get that. I appreciate the feed back.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
The Reddit AMA CRS did last year was pretty eyeopening too. https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/4mvtsk/we_are_cornered_rat_software_creators_of_world/

It's still cool to have a game where the president of the company is actually the one giving out the attack commands. Last nights raids were a lot of fun with XOOM leading the Axis side.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I spent 6 hours flying around today. Got 1 point. Woohoo

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

FalloutGod posted:

The new campaign stars Sunday morning. I've been hitting good wills and thrift stores looking for decent joysticks so I can start flying and being a little better with armor. I'm looking forward to a brand new tier 0 start. I saw this at Frys Electronics. Does anyone know if its a decent joystick? http://www.frys.com/product/7931000?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Buy one of these, it's the best cheap joystick you can get.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-963290-0403-Extreme-Joystick-Windows/dp/B00009OY9U

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

So ive been playing this 3 days now, at first i was a bit unsure because the graphics engine is a bit janky but now I'm hooked on it. It reminds me of playing battlefield 42 just on a much grander scale. My username is Jacada12 in-game, feel free to add me or whatever.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Flying is so loving hard. With a much larger player base you're guaranteed to find some one near your skill level but when the game is this old with this few people the only ones in the sky are pros. I've spent about 10 hours in the air without a single kill. All I want to do is get a plane with some cannons so I can shoot some fools on the ground. At this rate it will never happen.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

FalloutGod posted:

Flying is so loving hard. With a much larger player base you're guaranteed to find some one near your skill level but when the game is this old with this few people the only ones in the sky are pros. I've spent about 10 hours in the air without a single kill. All I want to do is get a plane with some cannons so I can shoot some fools on the ground. At this rate it will never happen.

Do not give up. I started playing in 2005 and it was a good 3 years before I dared to try flying even semi seriously such was the level of skill required to not die almost immediately on takeoff (expert vulchers over your airfield), on the way to contested towns (vulchers on the way) or at a contested area (expert dogfighters).

You are right, it IS hard but that is what makes it so rewarding when you start to 'get' it and have success. I don't remember the details of my first air to air kill where I really felt like I knew what I was doing, but I do remember that my adrenaline was loving through the roof and that I had to conciously calm down and remind myself to breathe.

I've been been meaning to add flying and armour guides to the OP, my apologies, I've just been slammed with work recently.

Some quick flying tips in semi order of usefulness:

Fly alone, die alone. Find an air squad on one of the discords and join up with them - they will be falling over themselves to help you with advice and they will watch your rear end in game. Most squads will help noobs by wounding enemy stragglers and letting you finish them off like the brave lioncub you are.

Stay high/fast. This rule always applies (until it doesn't) but try to make sure you have speed and altitude or at least one of the two. 3km / 10,000 feet is a good bare minimum to enter combat with.

Try not to flat turn or straight dive/climb. Whatever your intended direction, make sure there is a 3 dimensional element to your movement, especially when under fire. If you are have to dive throw a little bit of aileron or rudder in, if you have to turn make sure there is a vertical element to you movement as well.

Don't shoot. Unless you're in a P38 (or an h87 with a crazy convergence settings) try not to shoot until the enemy wingtips are the same width as your gunsight (zoomed in). It's tempting to open up everytime you think you have a solution but really you're trying to rack up damage on one or more critical components and a handful of MG bullets at distance does very little compared to a short solid burst at convergence. You will actually put more pressure on your opponents if you are judicious with your shots as if they see streams of tracer at every available opportunity they will know they are up against a noob. It's a lot more worrying being in a fight against a guy who doesn't shoot until he has a solution as you know it's someone who knows what they're doing.

Do not approach targets (contested towns) on the vulch line (a direct line from your airfield to town) or from obvious or cardinal directions. Take a little extra time to approach from an unexpected direction or at least put a dogleg in your route.

Be aggressive. Be e aggressive. Once you're committed and in the poo poo always be trying to get a gun solution on your opponent no matter what, none of this topgun 'trick him by pulling the brakes' bullshit will work - you either outfly him and get a solution and kill him or he makes a mistake before/worse than you do and hands you victory.

There's loads more but really the first one is the most important. Fly alone and you will have a miserable time, fly with others and it's a blast even when you get shot down.

Banano fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I ended up getting the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick(god I hate marketing names) and by default the hat on top doesn't give me enough view of whats around me to dog fight. I've messed with the keymapper but I haven't had much luck getting something that functions or controls well. I'm done flying until I can find a guide on setting up my joystick properly. Maybe you folks can help. At this point a copy and paste of your joystick keymapper config file will do and I'll try to reverse engineer something that would work for me.

• Locked thread