Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Hi my name is Sean (aka SalTheBard) and I'm a huge fan of Mitchell and Webb. I'm such a big fan that I started a weekly podcast where my partner and I review and recap every episode of Peep Show (We just released Jurying today). This post isn't about Peep Show, it's about the new BBC Channel 4 series Back staring David Mitchell and Robert Webb

Synopsis (stolen from Wikipedia)
After the death of his father, a pub landlord and local legend, Stephen (Mitchell) is set to take over the family business. But his plans are interrupted when Andrew (Webb), a former foster child briefly raised by Stephen's parents, returns to his life eager to renew his relationship with the only true family he has ever known. While Andrew quickly charms the rest of Stephen's family, including his mother Ellen, sister Cass and uncle Geoff, Stephen quickly begins to resent Andrew and views him as "a glib, dangerous sociopath who's about to steal his family, his business and his life".

David Mitchell (with beard) - Stephen - The heir apparent to his fathers business
Robert Webb - Andrew - Foster child who will make Stephens life hell

I'm really excited for this show to start (and it's probably going on as I type this). My podcast partner and I will be dedicating 3 out of the next 9 weeks to reviewing and recapping Back as well as our normal Peep Show related duties. I'm looking forward to seeing Mitchell and Webb portray characters vastly different from Mark and Jeremy.

Link to our Peep Show podcast
https://soundcloud.com/eldudebros-podcast

We will start coverage of Back on September 17th with our first Backcast!

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Watched the first episode. Really enjoyed seeing Mitchell and Webb back together on my tv screen. I'm way more interested in Andrew than Stephen (who I feel is way too close to Mark for my liking). Some of the jokes were pretty funny (Vinyl is making a comeback. Ya for cunts!) and I really like the way the flashbacks (young Stephen to Old Stephen) are handled. I'm also really loving Matthew Holness as Laurie (but I keep expecting him to tell David Mitchell to get out of his house).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I couldn't tell you where I saw the ad for Back, but seeing Mitchell and Webb in a new show got me interested.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
It's really good. It's different enough from Peep Show that I don't feel like I'm watching series 10. Robert Webbs character is great and I can't wait to learn more about him.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show's real good. All the shots of child versions of Mitchell are a bit on-the-nose though.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 21, 2017

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
It's my favorite gimmick of the series! Here is a link to the first episode of Backcast. Usually we do Peep Show but have decided to cover Back while it's airing!

https://soundcloud.com/eldudebros-podcast/backcast-1

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I love that loving Bugsy Malone reference. I thought I was the only one that remembered that odd movie.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

discworld is all I read posted:

I love that loving Bugsy Malone reference. I thought I was the only one that remembered that odd movie.

Bugsy Malone's great.

I actually read something recently that Edgar Wright said about Bugsy Malone in an interview that he and Paul Williams did about Baby Driver...

quote:

EW: It's got to be Bugsy Malone. I think my first experience with Paul is probably thinking, "What is this grown man's voice coming out of this little kid's mouth?" If you come to the U.S., Bugsy Malone is much more of a cult film, but it's much more of a well-known thing in Britain. It's more like A Christmas Story for us. Schools put it on all the time so almost everyone is familiar with the songs because a lot of us have to sing them growing up. Actually, I don't know if I ever told you this, but I did too. I was in a production of Bugsy Malone when I was young.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 29, 2017

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

I've never heard of this movie before but it sounds loving insane! What was the joke in the show?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

I've never heard of this movie before but it sounds loving insane! What was the joke in the show?
When David Mitchell's character has convinced himself that he murdered another kid when he was a kid, he also seemed convinced that there was a lot of media and cultural references to other children going apeshit and murdering each other. The only references he could think of was 'Lord of the Flies' then he got confused and was like "Does Bugsy Malone count? I think it does, right?"

It kinda does I suppose.

I do quite enjoy Robert Webb's role in this; he does a good job of being somewhat shady and conniving, while oddly positive in a very ill meaning way. David Mitchell though is just playing the same role as usual which is a shame, even with the slight bits of vulnerability they show from his lovely childhood with Garth Marenghi.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Andrew is a great character. Relentlessly optimistic but like you said in a very conniving way! My podcast partner is convinced he is a killer, I maintain he is exactly who he says he is.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think he is who he says he is. The main question for me is what his intentions are.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

But he's definitely a blagger, see the person who literally died on the plane because he wanted to jump up in front of the guy we presume actually knew how to do CPR.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

I think he is who he says he is. The main question for me is what his intentions are.
I suppose he could just want to actively gently caress with people, not for any sort of financial gain but just to ruin their lives and make himself out to be the 'good guy'. I was kind of expecting when the sister was selling off all her belongings and she was talking to Andrew that he was going to try to weasel her out of her shares of the pub, but he didn't? And he also seems to try to not manipulate her sexually, instead just preying on her insecurities at life in general. I don't know, it's a difficult character to read at the moment.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

I don't know, it's a difficult character to read at the moment.

It's My favorite thing about the show!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Man Episode 5 was loving intense! I feel so bad for Stephen feeling like Andrew is taking over his life. It's odd that Andrew JUST HAPPENED to be jogging in the area where Stephen discovered the body. Geoff beating the poo poo out of the Dog kidnapper was hilarious. I've decided that my enjoyment of the episode is directly proportional to the amount of Geoff in it.

I was kind of expecting when the sister was selling off all her belongings and she was talking to Andrew that he was going to try to weasel her out of her shares of the pub, but he didn't?

Turns out he did weasel her out of her shares by convincing her to travel more! I also really liked Cass's Husband. He seems great.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 5, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So do we think Stephen's current assessment of Andrew's plan is legit? I love that we only have one episode left and I have no idea where it'll go.

And yeah Geoff is by far my personal comedic highlight, especially in these last two episodes.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

Turns out he did weasel her out of her shares by convincing her to travel more! I also really liked Cass's Husband. He seems great.
Yeah, everyone seems to have a very misdirected enthusiasm except Stephen. The mom goes with whatever makes her feel good at the moment and goes hard into it (whether it be religion, drugs, or getting paid), Cass is trying to grab on to some youthful vigor and adventure she never had, her new husband is probably just some random townie from where she went that was happy to get to be with a younger lady, Geoff seems to thoroughly enjoy beating people (or packets of ketchup) and being fairly sociopathic, and Andrew is just silently working his way through everyone trying to be endearing, manipulative, and Machiavellian. Stephen seems to be the one ostracized from everyone cause he only seems to throw himself into drinking, paranoia, or whinging.

Also was this the first time we've seen Andrew's child actor in something that wasn't a flashback? I assume they use the child actors as a symbol for them feeling vulnerable and I can't remember if they've shown Andrew as feeling that way before.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Outside of flashbacks I don't think so.

Here is a link to the second episode of Backcast
https://soundcloud.com/eldudebros-podcast/backcast-02-episodes-3-and-4

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 6, 2017

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

From about the second episode on I've watched this show trying to see Andrew as a genuine, nice guy with a lot of life experience and everything that seems shady about him is just Stephen imagining it and it kinda works. It would be quite a twist if that were the case and it's all because Stephen feels inadequate and inferior to Andrew and is paranoid that Andrew is some kind of a monster. I mean we haven't really seen Andrew do anything all that terrible.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
My theory (and it's crazy I know) is Andrew is an Angel. The only part I can't connect are the cab driver and the passenger who died in the Airplane.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

From about the second episode on I've watched this show trying to see Andrew as a genuine, nice guy with a lot of life experience and everything that seems shady about him is just Stephen imagining it and it kinda works. It would be quite a twist if that were the case and it's all because Stephen feels inadequate and inferior to Andrew and is paranoid that Andrew is some kind of a monster. I mean we haven't really seen Andrew do anything all that terrible.
Yeah, it'd be hard to explain Stephen imagining Andrew doing things like the stuff on the plane and the cab. Otherwise I guess it seems like a feasible twist.

Also I realized I love the stretching that Andrew does once the initial questions from the police are done. It's just a general motion that seems completely apathetic but also communicating that they just want you to go away.

"You may as well just rub that dog poo poo right in a toddler's eye if you're just going to leave it there." indeed.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I'd absolutely love it if Andrew turned out to be good, because I really love being so totally tricked by a show.

Because he just isn't. The cab driver (although that's arguable), the plane, the shares, and the interview about the hanged man. It's all just so self centred and scheming, there's no way he's thinking about anyone other than himself. None at all.

The way he talks about being about to go off on his run until Stephen leaves is a perfect example.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Red Oktober posted:

I'd absolutely love it if Andrew turned out to be good, because I really love being so totally tricked by a show.

Because he just isn't. The cab driver (although that's arguable), the plane, the shares, and the interview about the hanged man. It's all just so self centred and scheming, there's no way he's thinking about anyone other than himself. None at all.

The way he talks about being about to go off on his run until Stephen leaves is a perfect example.

The Cab Driver - We have no idea anything about his wife. She could be a horrible abusive monster and Andrew was able to help him break free of an abusive relationship

The guy on the plane - We don't know anything about him. He could be responsible for the deaths of thousands later!

The Shares - By buying the shares he's able to help Cass travel AND when the Barleycorn burned down he was able to prop it up with his own money

Stealing the credit for the body - So granted this just happened and I haven't had time to think about how this fits in with my "agent of good" theory. But just spitballing, maybe he knew that Stephen wouldn't be able to handle the publicity from it and was trying to shield him. You see how awkward he is around the widow whereas Andrew was naturally consoling and helpful.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
This show is definitely growing on me. Peep Show is the best thing Mitchell and Webb ever did, obviously, but they are so good together.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm just so anxious to watch the finale. I'm stuck at work for another 4 and 1/2 hours!!!!!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I was able to sneak watch it at work like a loving ninja. HOLY poo poo what an ending. I'm not really sure what I think. I feel like everyone could be gaslighting him. I'm just shocked between the reveal that Stephen is apparently not Lauries real son to the drunk driving reveal. This is just way too much. This has been a great series and I can't wait for Series 2.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Yeah, that was absolutely how ambiguous should work and I loved it. The whole thing with Alfie though seemed a bit ummmm under cooked I suppose? Like what was Lauries' relationship with Alfie or why did Andrew feel such a connection with life at Lauries' home and family that he'd feel so dejected in the end. Also I'm honestly surprised no one had cancer or at least that Stephen didn't suffer failure of the liver with all he was downing.

Finally I guess Andrew's end game was just being the center of attention and getting praise? Which I suppose is amoral since he's not doing it for good, just to self satisfy himself...so it's ummm a positive evil?

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I just want to know Andrews ends game. I thought the French Cook was weird. I feel like there is more to her than we know.

• Locked thread