Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I'm buying a M.2 SSD and I'm wanting to move my windows 10 OS from my SSD to the new M.2. Is there an easy way to do this? Also if in a few months down the line, can I move the M.2 with the OS to a new computer build without it freaking out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

I'm buying a M.2 SSD and I'm wanting to move my windows 10 OS from my SSD to the new M.2. Is there an easy way to do this?

Cloning software can do that. I've used Acronis in the past.
https://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/buy-backup/

Someone else might know of a free option though.

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Also if in a few months down the line, can I move the M.2 with the OS to a new computer build without it freaking out?

There will probably be two problems with that. The OS itself might start complaining about licensing/keys etc. Also, the drivers will not match up (unless you use exactly the same motherboard etc.) So it's bad practice to move OS installs to new machines.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Ahh thanks. I might as well just save installing the M.2 until I build the mew conputer and just do a fresh install of windows that way. Thanks.

• Locked thread