Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've come up with an idea for a web app. I'm currently in the planning process and have just hit the dreaded "wow this is going to be a ton of work" phase. I'm at the point where I'm needing a bit of reassurance that my idea is viable - that people would even be interested in using it. I keep telling myself that it's a good idea, but I think some outside unbiased input will help set me on the straight and narrow, even if that means cutting my losses right now.

So here's the gist of the site. Think of it as a hybrid of Letterboxd and Rotten Tomatoes, only with a core focus on the reviews themselves, and only for user reviews (not professional critics' reviews). Visitors can come to the site to see the user ratings of movies both currently in theaters and not. Like Letterboxd, registered users can follow other users. There'll be user profile pages, pages for individual movies, a robust search, etc. But the main focus will be ranking the reviews themselves. Anyone can register for free and start writing reviews. They'll be able to pick their rating system (3 stars, 5 stars, 10 points, 100 points, etc) for each review they write. Reviews can be "liked" by any user, and the most popular reviews will be highlighted in some way.

Here's the main draw: I'll offer an upgrade (I'm thinking $12 per year) that makes you a "Pro" user. When you become a Pro, all of your reviews are instantly entered into a monthly contest. Whichever Pro user has a review with the most number of likes that month will win a prize. I'm thinking a high-end Blu-ray. Criterion or Arrow or something like that. The monthly prize will be announced at the start of each month so everyone knows what they're trying to win. Pro users will be able to "advertise" their review by sharing it on social media. They'll also have other perks that I haven't decided on yet.

My hope is that the incentive of the contest will make for lots of high quality reviews. I know how much people love to get attention for their movie reviews (I'm one of them), and this site would actually reward them for it.

So I'd like to hear your thoughts. Would this be a service you'd register for? Would you upgrade to Pro? Or does it seem redundant when we already have so many great movie sites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Nobody responding is probably your answer but I do like the idea. The quality of most professional reviews is so awful that something more democratic can't be worse

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

DeimosRising posted:

Nobody responding is probably your answer

Yeah :(

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
It's not a bad idea for an app, but for me, a huge challenge with consuming film criticism is finding a community I trust. I like these here forums a lot because you have a lot of passionate people who have a variety of opinions, but generally you get enough thoughtful engagement to form a general idea of whether a film is for you or not. Professionally, I enjoy Red Letter Media and Mark Kermode film reviews, even though I agree with the former like 60% of the time. I trust their honest interaction with the work even when I differ with their take.

My fear with something like your app is that a bunch of thoughtless people will flood it with spite reviews or dumb bullshit, especially since an app on a phone invites people to literally shitpost for two minutes on the toilet. Your attempt to incentivize quality posts is a good step, but that's an incentive for like the 1-5% of users willing to pay money. Everyone else is now actually disincentivized to put any thought into their posts.

My instinct with your idea is to make it like $1 a month for EVERYONE (to weed out the laziest of the shitposters) and then make EVERYONE eligible for the monthly prize. Even better, have posts get rated on a bunch of different grounds like Thoughtful, Entertaining, Philosophical, Exposure to New/Niche Films, or whatever. That would help the community rally around various reviewers who fill a specific niche or whatever.

Basically, I just think your idea will only have legs the more it curtails dipshits filling their diapers about political correctness or "my childhood!1!" or whatever animates certain dopes on 4chan nowadays.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

mary had a little clam posted:

It's not a bad idea for an app, but for me, a huge challenge with consuming film criticism is finding a community I trust.
Basically this. I don't care what people in general think about movies. mother! got an F from CinemaScore. I care what people who like the movies I like think about movies. That's why I use Criticker - it gives me ratings from people with similar tastes to mine. Unless the app did that, it wouldn't be very helpful to me. Moreover, Criticker already exists, and it also aggregates information from people who don't write reviews, so I don't see why I'd need the app.

• Locked thread