Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Is it just donkey kong or every vertical game?

I had an issue with an older ati radeon 4000 series card and vertical games not syncing, with the result that the sound was all over the place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsUXlaHhmJ0

It was fixed for me by upgrading to that radeon hd 6450. If yours does the same thing in all vertical games it could be some windows 7 vs windows 10 thing too. Try rotating vertical games 90 degrees in the UI and if that helps! It could also be that your modelines aren't properly installed, does the display still not show up as arcade_15 in windows? Did you follow every step from http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1052#p1052 ?
I am tempted to gut my machine and try building one of those fancy rotating screens to deal with vertical games properly, because the only way to display them on a horizontal monitor without software scaling is to drop the refresh rate or interlace until you can fit enough scanlines into the CGA monitor spec. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azcdbs73ig4

Porblem solved :downs:

You don't have to go completely overboard on the hardware, that i3-7350k should perform quite well on a budget or you could go i5-7600k if you want more cores.
My machine is currently running a fairly wimpy i3-2120T (2.6ghz) that is supposed to be just 50% faster than yours and most games work fine.
It originally had a i5-4690K but I had to shuffle some hardware around to get better performance for the pc running my oculus rift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

1k just for the processor? :stonklol:

goddamn!

which i7 or xeon specifically?

pssst, this is one of nbsd's gimmicks, next he'll insist upon ECC RAM

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

1k just for the processor? :stonklol:

goddamn!

which i7 or xeon specifically?

no, $1k for the whole machine

i think the fastest single-thread chips right now are kaby lake (core i7-7700k) and broadwell (xeon e5-1630). sh/sc would know better than yospos

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SO DEMANDING posted:

pssst, this is one of nbsd's gimmicks, next he'll insist upon ECC RAM

yeah i insist on ecc for my desktop

a mame machine in the basement that gets turned on and off, nobody cares if there's an uncorrected error from time to time

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

quote:

holy poo poo
did not even read the replies, just came here to post

holy poo poo.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
system11 folk (or the actual groovymame devs) will probably have the best idea of what processor is most optimal at the moment.

Do note that on the newer intels you have to use windows 10

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I switched to a raspberry pi on the makerspace mame machine because I was tired of someone loving something up or the frontend crashing on this aging PC I had on it. But now I can't run jackie chan in fists of fire at fullspeed :qq: so I'm going to explore the mini pc options. I was doing fixed resolution + variable refresh on an older ips lcd monitor that could handle down to 50 somethin.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 1, 2017

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Someone wants me to put minecraft on it for his kids and I wanna cry

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

moron izzard posted:

I switched to a raspberry pi on the makerspace mame machine because I was tired of someone loving something up or the frontend crashing on this aging PC I had on it. But now I can't run jackie chan in fists of fire at fullspeed :qq: so I'm going to explore the mini pc options. I was doing fixed resolution + variable refresh on an older ips lcd monitor that could handle down to 50 somethin.

for mini pcs this poo poo is easy as gently caress: intel nuc is the only answer

none of the "mini" form factors ever caught on or got manufactured by someone competent.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mac mini

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

moron izzard posted:

system11 folk (or the actual groovymame devs) will probably have the best idea of what processor is most optimal at the moment.

Do note that on the newer intels you have to use windows 10

mame is still largely single-core dependent for the most part so you still want the fastest single cores you can get, but it can take advantage of multi-core processors when doing software 3d rasterization or analog sound emulation. grabbing an unlocked sandy bridge chip and cranking it up to 4+ ghz should be pretty cheap and cover most games up to the turn of the century. my old 2500k at 4.4ghz could play gradius 4 at full speed with only a few bits of slowdown.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i'm the guy who spends thousands of dollars on ecc ram for a desktop, its me

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
thanks for all the helpful replies. I am kinda bummed about having to build a new PC for this because it's going to cost me more than i paid for the cabinet itself lol

HOWEVER, at my parent's house I still have a computer i built a few years ago and it's an Intel i7; albeit it must be old as hell now.

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1366 130W BX80601930 Desktop Processor

would that be good for this? i would test mame on it myself but i am several hundred miles away from my parents and lol if you think my dad is going to dig through the garage to find stuff i have sworn i would bring home since obama's first term in office and then hook it up and try mame games for me

i think it has 24gb of RAM, too. would that make scrolling through the ridiculous list of ROMs better too? would DONKEY GODDAMN KONG run without warped audio? (seriously the new method they use to emulate the sounds do not sound right to me, even ignoring the odd warping; i don't remember it being so muffled in the arcade but what do i know)

anyway thanks for any advice. I didn't plan on building a new PC until the Oculus Rift got cheaper as well as the parts needed to run it well, but i am not gonna half rear end this arcade machine either

r u ready to WALK posted:

Is it just donkey kong or every vertical game?

I had an issue with an older ati radeon 4000 series card and vertical games not syncing, with the result that the sound was all over the place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsUXlaHhmJ0

It was fixed for me by upgrading to that radeon hd 6450. If yours does the same thing in all vertical games it could be some windows 7 vs windows 10 thing too. Try rotating vertical games 90 degrees in the UI and if that helps! It could also be that your modelines aren't properly installed, does the display still not show up as arcade_15 in windows? Did you follow every step from http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1052#p1052 ?
I am tempted to gut my machine and try building one of those fancy rotating screens to deal with vertical games properly, because the only way to display them on a horizontal monitor without software scaling is to drop the refresh rate or interlace until you can fit enough scanlines into the CGA monitor spec. :(

i havent tried many vertical games to be honest. actually it doesn't happen often in Donkey Kong but it's still jarring. it is seriously making me laugh out loud that Donkey Kong is now more taxing on a CPU than Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3

when you upgraded to a better PC, did you notice audio crackling went away? another issue I notice a lot is crackling audio when there's a lot of loud sounds one after the other. a perfect example is Glacius kicking my rear end; all his punches and stuff crackle a bit. i have noticed it in UMK3 when i do my robot smoke combos as well.

I wish I could help you with your issue...the only thing I can think of is maybe have the Donkey Kong (or whatever veritcal game you want) display its bezel? That way you can run the games a bit smaller, but it won't look dumb with the nice bezel. maybe a bit of a smaller screen size for the game will help it scale better for you?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1366 130W BX80601930 Desktop Processor

would that be good for this? i would test mame on it myself but i am several hundred miles away from my parents and lol if you think my dad is going to dig through the garage to find stuff i have sworn i would bring home since obama's first term in office and then hook it up and try mame games for me

i think it has 24gb of RAM, too. would that make scrolling through the ridiculous list of ROMs better too? would DONKEY GODDAMN KONG run without warped audio? (seriously the new method they use to emulate the sounds do not sound right to me, even ignoring the odd warping; i

i think the mame rom list thing is more about disk IO than processor speed. i have my ROMs on an old 128GB Samsung 830 SSD i had lying around and it makes it way faster to get through

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

i think the mame rom list thing is more about disk IO than processor speed. i have my ROMs on an old 128GB Samsung 830 SSD i had lying around and it makes it way faster to get through

it lags like crazy even only scrolling my favorites, which is like 100 games max. should that still be the case? i turned off marquees and all that and it's just text for the list (I even removed video previews)

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

post more cool pics of the arcade machine

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

you can get around that must-have-windows-10-for-new-intel-chips issue

https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc

but you can also install linux instead!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Tankakern posted:

you can get around that must-have-windows-10-for-new-intel-chips issue

https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc

but you can also install linux instead!

how the hell was a processor preventing windows 7 from being installed anyway?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

because ms doesnt want you installing 7 on new computers

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
im wufuc.exe

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

RISCy Business posted:

i'm the guy who spends thousands of dollars on ecc ram for a desktop, its me

ecc ram costs 9/8ths as much as regular ram. (because, duh, everything that was 8 bits on a regular DIMM is 9 bits on an ecc DIMM)

getting an intel chip with ecc costs about $10 more than the same chip without ecc

--

ecc ain't free but it's not expensive, either

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
only the highest quality unflipped bits for when nbsd watches japanese cartoons of naked people or screams racial slurs at people in video games

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Tankakern posted:

because ms doesnt want you installing 7 on new computers

yeah but why would Intel give a poo poo enough to do something to help Microsoft with that?

And how exactly is it "blocked"? I try to install win7 and something stops me along the install process?? :wtf:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Pretty sure they just did that to strong arm corporate customers into adopting windows 10, to prevent them from sticking to windows 7 until the heat death of the universe.

Jerks.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
really great thread, thanks again for sharing Uncle at Nintendo!

• Locked thread