Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Like some of you out there, I started watching television in the late 1980s, and I have good memories of sitting in front of a black and white television screen, watching reruns of TV shows that seemed great and interesting. Of course, almost 30 years later, when I go back and watch those television shows, there is a lot missing. I can see where the plot is ending up before I start, and there is not much that changes from episode to episode. I've been spoiled by arc-based and "prestige" television, where watching an episode is interesting because we want to see what happens next.

But lots of those old shows had great characters, and some good drama. If they were adapted into an "arc-based" show, how would they flourish in the modern day? Which shows would work, which wouldn't?

These are three shows that I think would make interesting arc-based shows.

1. Night Court. This half hour comedy from the 1980s varied between drama, standard sit-com plots, and wacky/surreal comedy. It had a large cast, but most of them were stuck with a single character trait. It would be interesting to see what could happen if the idea was relaunched with more character development, and an ongoing plot.

2. The Secret World of Alex Mack: Nickelodeon show from the 1990s, about a teenage girl who gets super powers. It varied between science-fiction plots, and her having typical junior high problems. It was fun as a kid, but the plots are predictable now, and the special effects need updating.

3. Perry Mason. This show is famous for its hokey endings where the real criminal loudly confesses from the gallery, but many of the episodes have good legal drama and investigation before that point: they just need to wrap it up in under an hour, and that made the stories seemed rushed. More time would give legal drama in a less corny fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Sledge Hammer! certain to rival The Wire.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Old action-adventure shows from the 60s, I suppose. Mission: Impossible and The Man From U.N.C.L.E., The Avengers and the various ITC productions and so on. They wouldn't lend themselves to having series-long storylines but they're the sort of things that would have a overarching season-long story if they were produced today and I think that would suit them.

Of course, all those old Lew Grade shows - The Champions, The Saint, Department S, Man In a Suitcase - would be crossing over with each other as well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

Old action-adventure shows from the 60s, I suppose. Mission: Impossible and The Man From U.N.C.L.E., The Avengers and the various ITC productions and so on. They wouldn't lend themselves to having series-long storylines but they're the sort of things that would have a overarching season-long story if they were produced today and I think that would suit them.

Of course, all those old Lew Grade shows - The Champions, The Saint, Department S, Man In a Suitcase - would be crossing over with each other as well.

There's apparently a new Saint show on Netflix

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

There's apparently a new Saint show on Netflix

Thought it was just a one-off but will have to check.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Netflix is bringing back Lost in Space next year. That was my favorite sci-fi show as a kid.

There's some preliminary nerd rage with Parker Posey being cast as Dr. Smith. The Robot is being described as a cross between Iron Man and Gort.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

glowing-fish posted:

2. The Secret World of Alex Mack: Nickelodeon show from the 1990s, about a teenage girl who gets super powers. It varied between science-fiction plots, and her having typical junior high problems. It was fun as a kid, but the plots are predictable now, and the special effects need updating.

I actually tried writing an Alex Mack reboot a while back. It was the mid aughts and I was in my 20s, so it was grimdark and terrible.

My go-to answer for this is always Quantum Leap. The concept resists serialization, but you still have stuff like The Evil Leaper and the Abigail Fuller trilogy that you could parlay into full season arcs if you know what you're doing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

[quote="“Mister Kingdom”" post="“476441261”"]
Netflix is bringing back Lost in Space next year. That was my favorite sci-fi show as a kid.

There’s some preliminary nerd rage with Parker Posey being cast as Dr. Smith. The Robot is being described as a cross between Iron Man and Gort.
[/quote]

I loved LiS as a kid, and I dig Parker Posey so am intrigued to see if she can pull off the best role.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

glowing-fish posted:

1. Night Court. This half hour comedy from the 1980s varied between drama, standard sit-com plots, and wacky/surreal comedy. It had a large cast, but most of them were stuck with a single character trait. It would be interesting to see what could happen if the idea was relaunched with more character development, and an ongoing plot.

Would The Wire satisfy this request?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Realistic Seinfeld, where they all keep getting worse jobs and shittier places to live as time goes on. Kramer becomes a junkie, George an alcoholic who hangs himself in the series finale, Jerry ends up working the door at a comedy club.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Kingdom posted:

There's some preliminary nerd rage with Parker Posey being cast as Dr. Smith. The Robot is being described as a cross between Iron Man and Gort.

My dear boy, if you'd like to meet me in the foodcourt i'll tell you more.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There must be a Wild Wild West reboot waiting to happen. You could even have Jim West as an African-American lawman in Reconstruction times like in the Will Smith movie, but unlike the Will Smith movie (because I'm pretty sure it had been in development then was repurposed as a Will Smith vehicle) you'd have room to explore that.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

There must be a Wild Wild West reboot waiting to happen. You could even have Jim West as an African-American lawman in Reconstruction times like in the Will Smith movie, but unlike the Will Smith movie (because I'm pretty sure it had been in development then was repurposed as a Will Smith vehicle) you'd have room to explore that.
I see your wild wild west and i say Mission Impossible. Set in the 60s and not a tom cruise vehicle.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toplowtech posted:

I see your wild wild west and i say Mission Impossible. Set in the 60s and not a tom cruise vehicle.

See my first post in the thread. :v:

You've got the Arrowverse today, so you could have the same thing except with Mission Impossible, Man From UNCLE, various ITC shows etc. (Kim Newman to be hired as head writer).

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Mission: Impossible had a very, very tiny bit of serialisation, where somebody that Phelps had screwed over in one episode recognised him off-duty in a later one and went after him for revenge, but that was all.

Seconding Wheat Loaf's suggestion of the ITC shows like Department S and The Saint - and I'll add one. Space: 1999 could have been Galactica 2004 in 1975, a small group of humans thrown into an extremely hostile and uncaring cosmos and being forced to survive on their wits and ingenuity as they look for a new home... except, y'know, it was a Lew Grade production in 1975. Literally the only continuity element in the whole thing was that the rear end in a top hat commissioner who ended up stranded on the moon with everyone else at the end of the first episode reappeared after an inexplicable absence weeks later, only to die a horrible ironic death. The writers didn't even remember that one of the crew had had a baby!

The first season did have the whole business with the "mysterious force" that was supposedly guiding Alpha into the situations they encountered, but it was so woolly and vaguely-applied that it doesn't really count as an arc. (And it was tossed out of the airlock along with Bergman and Morrow for the second season anyway.)

If I were showrunner of a hypothetical Space: 2099, I'd have the moon leave orbit not as a result of a nuclear accident, but because of some kind of huge and deeply-buried alien technology that's been found and kept a secret by the military contingent (setting up a military/civilian conflict from the start) on the base. They set it off, the moon is thrown through a space warp to some seemingly random point in the universe... and from then on it warps again every 48/57/76.3 or whatever hours. If you're off the moon when it goes, you're stuck where you are forever, so there's a built-in timeclock to every episode. Need to see if this planet's habitable? Don't get captured by the locals. Investigating a derelict alien ship? Be quick about it. And of course, maybe the moon's course through the universe isn't as random as it seems...

And keep track of how many people die and how many Eagles explode, for Christ's sake. It's not hard!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One older BBC programme that actually did have a degree of serialisation was The Omega Factor with James Hazeldine and Louise Jameson; premise was that a journalist (Hazeldine) discovers he has extra-sensory powers when he survives a car wreck which kills his wife, so he teams up with a shadowy government research group to pursue the evil psychic (Cyril Luckham) responsible for causing the accident.

It only lasted about 10 episodes and only more or less finished its story; it didn't really have the space it needed to fully explore its ideas. Hazeldine's character goes back to London after spending the series in Edinburgh (it was a BBC Scotland production) after Luckham's villain is killed, but after he leaves, his boss at the aforesaid research project is met by a mysterious woman and disappears, so there was a hook for more stories.

It's a pretty good series and a precursor to a lot of "street-level mystery sci-fi" stuff like The X-Files that would become popular in the 1990s. If you brought that back and gave it to, say, Paul Abbott or even Charlie Booker, you could get a lot of mileage out of it. It's a rare series that I think would lend itself very well to having this big storyline with conspiracies and mysteries which weaves throughout an entire series run.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
The Prisoner episodes were basically self-contained, weren't they? If it were remade it would be interesting to give it arcs.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Mechanical Ape posted:

The Prisoner episodes were basically self-contained, weren't they? If it were remade it would be interesting to give it arcs.
Don't know if this is a case of :thatsthejoke: , but they did remake The Prisoner, and it did have arcs.

It wasn't very good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
And half the arcs just went literally nowhere (like the gay son of #2) because they were unexpectedly given only half as many episodes as they planned, after it was too late to go back and change much

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Blakes 7.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Less "classic television show" and more "Saturday morning cartoon", but Pirates of Dark Water deserves a reboot like seemingly every other late 80s/early 90s IP has gotten. Look at the series bible, it was crazy ambitious and I really want to see what it'd be like in a format that could just run with it.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
actually I wish there were less arc-based shows and more episodic ones because I would rather watch one show where they wrap the story up in an hour and then go do something else. Im sure all these new shows are great but I have avoided them because I dont want to get tied up watching 7 seasons of something just to see what happens

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
1. Tales from the Crypt or the Twilight Zone. Hear me out. It'd stay pretty much an anthology series as they've always been, but I say move it in to a straight up shared universe (they are all the rage, after all) and work a through line about a major background plot into all the episodes leading to the end. They have very different tones but I think you could reboot both on that concept. Twilight Zone has been rebooted a few times before, so I think Tales would draw more buzz.

2. Let's get 90s and gently caress in here and say TIME TRAX. I will say right now I don't think this show would hold up to my memory of it, the most enjoyably insane low-budget cop drama where the future cop's weapons and high-tech computer look like a loving credit card and key ring (save on prop money, much?!?) but somehow I watched this show every Goddamn week. 90s nostalgia has to kick in sometime, so gently caress it, give me a 10-episode Netflix run of this.

ED: You know this is 90s as gently caress because of the XTREME X title

3. I realize A) They are already doing this except lovely as gently caress and B) this is drawing ire, but frankly I think the Star Trek franchise is built more for a serialized show than an episodic one to be honest. The show that got the most serialized by far was the best thing they ever did so gently caress it, they should try again once people forget the clusterfuck they're doing now.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

KoRMaK posted:

Would The Wire satisfy this request?

I don't know much about The Wire, but I don't think it is the type of show that would have an animated Wile E. Coyote on it, right?

Arc-driven Night Court would probably look a lot like Parks and Rec, only more so.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Payndz posted:

If I were showrunner of a hypothetical Space: 2099, I'd have the moon leave orbit not as a result of a nuclear accident, but because of some kind of huge and deeply-buried alien technology that's been found and kept a secret by the military contingent (setting up a military/civilian conflict from the start) on the base. They set it off, the moon is thrown through a space warp to some seemingly random point in the universe... and from then on it warps again every 48/57/76.3 or whatever hours. If you're off the moon when it goes, you're stuck where you are forever, so there's a built-in timeclock to every episode. Need to see if this planet's habitable? Don't get captured by the locals. Investigating a derelict alien ship? Be quick about it. And of course, maybe the moon's course through the universe isn't as random as it seems...
Isn't that just Stargate Universe?

Haverchuck posted:

actually I wish there were less arc-based shows and more episodic ones because I would rather watch one show where they wrap the story up in an hour and then go do something else.
:same:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Haverchuck posted:

actually I wish there were less arc-based shows and more episodic ones because I would rather watch one show where they wrap the story up in an hour and then go do something else. Im sure all these new shows are great but I have avoided them because I dont want to get tied up watching 7 seasons of something just to see what happens

Sure, there's a lot of appeal in being able to dip in and out of something. You need something to occupy your time for an hour, you can just stick on an episode of something like TNG and it'll keep you entertained.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Another old ITC/Gerry Anderson show that would benefit from modern storytelling is UFO. For those who don't know, it's literally the inspiration for the XCOM series (as in, the original game's creators freely admitted to plundering it for ideas), about a secret military organisation that fights alien invaders. The show did have traces of arc-based storylines, about main character Straker's marriage being destroyed and his young son dying because he was forced to put duty and secrecy before his personal life, but mostly the stories were standalones where not even the aliens' motivations were consistent. They're coming to Earth to harvest our organs because their planet and race are dying... except when they sometimes try to wipe out all life on the planet. Those wacky aliens, huh?

It also suffered from production problems where the closure of its original studio meant a long hiatus while everything was moved to another, during which time several of the main cast went on to other work and had to be replaced. So in the series as shown, major characters appear and disappear between episodes at random! It could kind of be justified by saying that "it's a military organisation, and they were on other assignments at the time", but it's still jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Land of the Giants.

loving awesome stuff. Giant pencils everywhere...

• Locked thread