Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I said No as soon as I discovered the base model autos are fuckin' CVTs... Back to the drawing board I guess.

Dear Ford, I will buy a Fiesta ST if you put in a good automatic. Lotsa love!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
2017 Ford fiesta st: Getting FiSTed jokes ahead

The truth was like a blue oval through my brain. Fuel economy statistics floating on the dash, glimpsed in the bottom of my vision. The repetitious act of accelerating, braking, turning and a giant led board showing off my times. The paranoid feeling maybe a computer was controlling my yaw angles. I was in a Fiesta autocrossing and it was great. Funny as hell, it was the most horrible thing I could think of.

I wake in a cold sweat and quickly pull up some YouTube videos of my exploits in vipers, nsxs, corvettes and ferraris. RWD, power; yes this is what I like. Not getting FiSTed.

I arrive and it doesn't look like anything special. A fiesta; no one will be clamoring for rides. No one will be asking me about my front splitter, no one will be asking me about how small my dick is. It is a sedate hot hatch. The inner hooligan in me sighs. The interior isn't much more exciting, it fits the price range of the car. Cloth seats, semi chintzy plastic interior. The gauges are nice and the multimedia is easy to figure out. Traction off has a button you push and hold, it goes through a loading bar to let you know its disabling. Don't want those plebeians one touch disabling their safety net. It's spacious too, it can fit four people and has a moderately sized hatch for cargo. I could get this at Avis and never know there was anything to this car.

I get the point out, the clutch is nice. It has good feel and weight, the throttle is linear without any real tip in lag. The manual gearbox is also quite nice, the shift is firm but it doesn't have the long throw of most fwd cars and maneuvering through the gates is laughably easy. I sigh relief, this isn't the Jesus car I've heard about for h stock. It's a hotted up fiesta.

The start is a hard left into the timing lights, then an immediate 90 right to the rest of the course. I get the go ahead and get a gentle launch for an ideal exit. The cars moves along nicely off the gate and then as I roll into throttle for the right, starts burning up the inside right; this baby doesn't have a diff. It could use one too, it has a good amount of power, it's not slap a $100 on the dash and tell your friend to try and grab it. More like find a friend who you owe $5, slap that on the dash and make giving the money back fun rather than just a straight transaction. But I'll be honest I've never ridden in a car where you couldn't actually reach the dash unless there was a harness involved. If you can't, do more sit-ups for fucks sake.

I wind out first through the sweeping front section and chirp second into gear. The car has a nice linear power band and very good throttle precision, it pushes the nose out at full throttle but finding the limits of traction for the nose on throttle is easy. Once you exceed it, dial it back a bit and the nose will tuck back in. This is great because doesn't make great noises or burbles on the way there, it just sounds like a four cylinder chugging along to redline. I lift a little for the upcoming right and the steering is nice and direct with pretty good feel, it's not tell you every detail but it's limits are easy to find and approachable. The brakes don't have the best feel but they are quite strong, a hard tap will upset the car but a smooth push dials in a lot of braking force. It's easy to trailbrake too, which I do into the 180 turn and then get back on power where it pulls strongly from midrange, pushing the nose out wide. This isn't a bad hatch, it's controllable. It's nice to drive, and it's easy to live with. We approach the slaloms and I lift a bit to tuck the nose. The front loads up, the rear gets light. My eyes dilate, time slows, I feel myself getting fisted. Not hard at first, gently. A little wiggle, just to see how it feels. And it feels kinda good.

I pass the first cone, get on throttle, and lift. The fisting gets a little harder as the rear end comes out to play. I get on throttle more aggressively for the next cone and lift more aggressive, the butt stuff keeps getting better as the car slides the rear end a bit. I go whole hog on the fisting and immediately regret it, the fist goes all in and I'm in a huge tank slapper through the next three cones but manage to stay on course and not hit anything.

Next up is a long right hander into a tight braking zone, and I'm in the zone. I think. Full throttle, the nose pushes, let up a bit and the line tightens. We clip the apexs and hard into the brakes, then an immediate run up the taxiway through fast elements. I think about dabbing the brakes but I just aggressively lift and turn, the nose tucks in and the rear just out and we glide past the element in a three wheel doriftu. Oh yea FiST, you’re the real deal. I brake for a hard left followed by another full throttle run up into a slalom. I clip the inside cone because I’m a loving idiot and that cone was worthless, so I go wide open throttle with my right foot, guide the car with my right hand, and throw the middle finger out the window at the cone with my left. It’s easy mode hooning and the car does it really well. gently caress the mini, FiST me any day.

I think the only real bad thing I have to say is that stock ones on really good tires sometimes will two wheel to the point where I was a bit worried I might end up rolling my friends car. But we were on stock tires so that never reared it’s head, just a nice, clean, really fun hot hatch that has all the right moves.

I’ve been having a hard time writing reviews. There’s only so many ways you can say a car turns, brakes, and steers well. And the problem is that every car nowadays is good. Even the bad ones actually have a lead engineer that gives a poo poo rather than the eh gently caress it good enough let’s go to the bar mid-90s American cars. There are still some that are heads and shoulders above the rest in terms of experience and I can bang out an Iliad worth of prose on a first pass no problem, but nothing really has bad manners anymore. There’s no lovely e36 gearboxes, no saturn snapping axles and being soul consumingly plain, no gently caress you and die oversteer tendencies of the 348. The FiST is a $16k car that is as much fun as an M3 to hurl around an autox course, we live in a golden time.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 11, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Have you autocrossed a FoST? If so how would you compare it to the FiST?

I drove my friends FiST back to back with my FoST and found them to be fairly different, but both good in many ways. I think the Focus has a much better power feel, but the Fiesta 'feels' lighter and snappier. Focus got faster times, but the tires were not the same. I think the Focus is the better and faster overall car, but in many ways the Fiesta was more fun to throw around.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I haven’t driven a FoST yet, I’m kinda interested after this. Ford has been making some drat fun cars.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Your post had me open the Ford CPO page to search for Fiesta STs :allears:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

For the past couple days I've started researching Fiesta STs to replace my Mazda 3 and today this gets posted? I think it's a sign from above.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Muffinpox posted:

I haven’t driven a FoST yet, I’m kinda interested after this. Ford has been making some drat fun cars.

If you are ever in the Phoenix area at the same time as a local event, shoot me a message and I might be coerced into attending and let you drive mine, but be forewarned, that I no longer auto-x regularly so the tires are not optimal for auto-x and I do not own a dedicated set!

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Your post had me open the Ford CPO page to search for Fiesta STs :allears:

If I could buy a seat in one of my friends prepared cars, I’d 100% own a Fiesta ST as a DD/part time autox car.

FBS posted:

For the past couple days I've started researching Fiesta STs to replace my Mazda 3 and today this gets posted? I think it's a sign from above.

Check out the 2017 civic sport too, there was one there that day and it was looking really good.

The Locator posted:

If you are ever in the Phoenix area at the same time as a local event, shoot me a message and I might be coerced into attending and let you drive mine, but be forewarned, that I no longer auto-x regularly so the tires are not optimal for auto-x and I do not own a dedicated set!

Are there autoxs there in the winter months? A friend of mine moved there and I need to visit.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I can probably offer my S2000 for you to go auto-x, also. I wouldn't go, but do yo thang
(assuming you're around a 30" inseam since that's where my bucket is fix mounted)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Muffinpox posted:

Are there autoxs there in the winter months? A friend of mine moved there and I need to visit.

Winter months are when poo poo like that is the busiest.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Muffinpox posted:

Phoenix's "off season" is the summer.

There are autocrosses monthly in Phoenix, Tucson and Sierra Vista in Arizona.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
This is what happens when you run 8psi boost on a stock frs manifold for 40kmiles:

BlackMK4 posted:

I can probably offer my S2000 for you to go auto-x, also. I wouldn't go, but do yo thang
(assuming you're around a 30" inseam since that's where my bucket is fix mounted)

I had to sit with the seat all the way back so it’ll probably work!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Winter months are when poo poo like that is the busiest.

Niceeee, maybe I’ll take a trip if I ever have money again.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Muffinpox posted:

This is what happens when you run 8psi boost on a stock frs manifold for 40kmiles:

What's going to replace it?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I put another stock header on there for now since the car is tuned for it. It’s a full STX car with a supercharger, so I’m gonna deblower it over the winter and get an even length header, intake, and NA tune.

It was my original plan but the boost is addicting.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Muffinpox posted:

I put another stock header on there for now since the car is tuned for it. It’s a full STX car with a supercharger, so I’m gonna deblower it over the winter and get an even length header, intake, and NA tune.

It was my original plan but the boost is addicting.

Have you had other problems resulting from the boost? It must be a significant issue for you to want to go back to NA as I remember when you first got the car you were in love with it.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Nope, the blower has been super reliable. Most of the stuff that has broken is from the car running slicks.

The car is classed as an SSM car, so I get wrecked in pax for some clubs in addition to getting killed in raw times. My regional competition is a car named panda, which is several seconds faster than my car on slicks. Meet panda:

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 14, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Muffinpox posted:

Nope, the blower has been super reliable. Most of the stuff that has broken is from the car running slicks.

The car is classed as an SSM car, so I get wrecked in pax for some clubs in addition to getting killed in raw times. My regional competition is a car named panda, which is several seconds faster than my car on slicks. Meet panda:

SSM pax is going to be brutal if you don't have a car actually built for the class.

I don't have that problem here, but it doesn't matter anyway when the local pax is being set by the likes of Brian Peters (10+ national championships), Fred Zust (9? championships) and Mark Huffman (lots of jackets..).

I actually like having that sort of competition locally, even if it means I never get to be top PAX, it's great for learning (and fun to watch them too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
2011 mustang gt: Rolling in my five OH MY GOD LOOK OUT FOR THE CROWD

"You make sure to keep you eyes up when them mustang v8 comes yowling by" the grizzled corner boss tells us. "You think it's a joke that they smell blood, but once they first taste it, they come back” he said as he lifted up his pant leg, a ceramic and metal facsimile of the flesh it replaced was all that was there. "I lost my leg in the big spin of 2007, and I was lucky." The crosses staked near the apex bore names of the brave or the slow cone shaggers who gave their lives so that others could race.

A cloud front appears, dark and ominous. It brings the rain and the rain brings the spins. It is a mustang heavy event. The Gods have demanded blood. "Stay spread out" the radio blares, "they don't carry enough speed to get more than one worker."

Once the ambulances have cleared, so do the skies. The ground is heavy with nutrients and the plants will grow. The Gods are satisfied.

It is time for our run group, my friend has brought his mustang. He wants to see a seasoned driver set a time in it. I agree, I must know the rush of piloting a blood thirsty beast. I approach his black mare, gleaming in the sunlight. A loud bark from the side pipe cutouts from the boss 302 he has installed warns me off. I slowly approach and offer my hand, only reaching for the handle once it has accepted my presence. This is not something you want to scare, it looks mean, it looks retro. The muscular and taught lines let you know it means business.

The interior is also retro, and huge. It has baseball leather, which is fitting since the interior feels like it is a baseball field wide. It's like getting into TARDIS. I turn on the radio, vanilla ice starts blaring. Wrap around Oakley shades appear on my head, a tap out shirt sprouts onto my torso, knowledge of eta and trap speeds flows into my brain. He tells me this has an intake and tune and a divine light pierces the sky "gently caress the bama tune and popping motors" I say. Who is bama? I don't know. I just know I have to say it. We get the point out and I rev at a Miata on the way to the start, "nice fag car, wanna race for pinks?" I blurt out as the wad of dip bulges from my lip, he cowers in fear. Good.

I get to the line, I feel the energy of this car radiating. It's actually just the side pipes pumping out exhaust but I feel it. The starter takes a few steps back, the revs come up, he says go. I wait for a little bit and then sidestep the clutch, we leave elevens as a .500 flashes in my mind and the roar of the v8 intoxicates me.

The coyote is screaming and so are the tires, this mustang makes some great noises. Ford changed the firing order and the car no longer has the amazing deep hollow thump of the mod motors but it still makes that American v8 sound. It also doesn't feel like a mod motor with prodigious torque and asthmatic top end. The coyote likes its revs. It's making north of 400hp but it doesn't feel like a lean, mean, mare. It's more of race horse that's been retired and now is kinda fat but just fucks all day. Kinda like the owners. It is no slouch though, and second gear comes up fast. I slam the gear change and appreciate the snick snickness of the box and the vagueish and light clutch allows for quick shifting. The tires chirp second. This is still a race horse.

Time for the first corner comes and I dab on the brakes. The brembos do a stellar job of stopping but they don't feel great, modulation is doable but it's more of a "I think I can" moment than a fine tuned pedal feel. I turn the wheel and the steering Is rather vague, the heaviness of the V8 is apparent compared to the V6. But it goes where the wheel is pointed and is actually rather well balanced at the limit. But I'm just telling everyone things we already know. Sure a mustang can brake and turn, we've all seen them do that. But the flaming nostrils and red mist appear when the throttle is depressed and gently caress me. Fuuuck me.

We come out of the corner and I give a little HEYAHH to my stallion and it cocks the rear end out immediately on throttle. Not an unmanageable degree, but it happens quick. I look right and there's a corner worker where a spin would have taken us. It knows. It thirsts. I hold throttle and steering until the car settles a bit and add in throttle while dialing out steering and the car is happy cramming those torques onto the ground and rocketing off for the next element. This car can put the power down, and how, if you don’t spur gently caress the side of the horsey. If you’ve ever wondered how people manage to spin them in straight lines, they’re the same people who slap a horses rear end while standing behind one.

We come into a slalom and I try to trail brake but transitioning left to right upsets the rear and I lift brake and let the car slide and settle. But it's happy once I'm off throttle. And I think get it now. Horse DNA, treat it like a horse.

Horses are big loving dumb animals, anyone who tells you otherwise is a horse person and is not to be trusted. I spent a summer painting barns and whenever I was up on a ladder infront of a horse stable, it would stick its head out and chomp at me. I have vivid memories of needing to slap a horses face away while it tried to eat my crotch between applying coats of paint. After that they would then go out into the field and see their own shadow, flip the gently caress out and prance around until either their organs flipped and they died or they broke a leg and they died. Maybe throw a rider and then drag them around while freaking out that something is following them. They’re several hundred pounds of dumb. Just like a SRA.

Once I gave it some finesse I started to think of another fat 400hp coupe that I really enjoyed, the e92 m3. The mustang gt really does shine when you treat it with kid gloves and it’s actually a pretty quick, competent car. It’s still hobbled by the architecture on rough surfaces but it’s mostly approachable. It’s the hold my beer version of an m3, not as refined but just as fun.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 21, 2017

• Locked thread