Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orlen
Oct 25, 2005
custom user title
Note: The diacritics don't appear in the words in the thread title because the forums don't support displaying them. The middle character in the first word is actually Unicode U+1EAF - which is a lower case a with a breve and acute. These forums do not support displaying it so I have used á instead.

A few days ago I bought a tarpaulin and when I unwrapped it, I found taped inside a smaller tarpaulin with "cát mép" written on it:

I thought this was a little strange and decided to find out what it meant. My first port of call was google translate, where I jammed in cat mep and switched it it Vietnamese (because I thought the diacritics on the vowels looked Vietnamese). It asked whether I meant cát mép and I said yes, and it told me it means "cutting edge".

This doesn't solve the mystery though, does it? Why would there be a smaller, oranger tarp taped inside the tarp I bought with "cutting edge" written on it in Vietnamese?

Please, can anyone shed some light on this?

In case it matters, I bought it from Homebase in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
"Help. Trapped in a tarpaulin factory"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's probably an off cut. The cut edge.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It means you bought a tarp from a place with lovely quality control.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
That's a tag from the notorious Cutting Edge gang, known for cutting off the edges of their enemies' faces, wrapping them in a tarpaulin, and depositing the bundle in the beds of their loved ones. They always tag the interior so the loved ones will know not to call the cops.

They sent you that one for a reason. It's a message. They know where you are.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Hell Gem
wtf is a tarpaulin

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bum the Sad posted:

wtf is a tarpaulin

How quickly we forget

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i have gone my entire life not knowing that "tarp" was short for "tarpaulin" and i'm pretty sure i could have gone longer without having this fact in my brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Hell Gem

Turdsdown Tom posted:

i have gone my entire life not knowing that "tarp" was short for "tarpaulin" and i'm pretty sure i could have gone longer without having this fact in my brain

I don't think this is true. I'm gonna ignore it.

• Locked thread