Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Hey everyone, just another quick update!

Turtle and I have been trying to connect with one another over the holiday season, to no avail. That being the case, I'm tentatively looking to have the new episode out the Wednesday following the next, which is January 3, 2018.

Hope everyone is having a fun, safe time as our year draws to a close!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I died and had to come back, much like harry potter.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

I died and had to come back, much like harry potter.

I guess that's better than Jon Snow, where you die, come back, and then gently caress your own aunt...

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nine-gear crow posted:

I guess that's better than Jon Snow, where you die, come back, and then gently caress your own aunt...

The night's still young.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

New Cars

Body Count

It's been a long time coming. We've finally reached the Canyon, the final track in the game and probably the toughest overall. It's narrow and there's lots of stuff to blow up, so it's always a good time, and I'm relieved that I'm finally able to show it off to you. As a nice bonus, it also has, in my humble opinion, the coolest Level 2 Power Play in the game.

There are a couple solo events to balance things out, but this itinerary's given us four races to work with, and that means lots of wrecks. We shattered our previous record in Hit the Skids and racked up 72 (!!!) kills by the end of the episode.

For all the trouble, we've also unlocked three great new cars. We got familiar with the Ryback Cyclone RS, the raciest of the three, in the Detonator event in the Mid-Season Spectacular (and beat the dev time with it), but the Cyclone RS, along with the Cobretti 530 GTS, is our gateway to the endgame. It really, really doesn't like drifting, but it doesn't have to, because it grips even better than the 530 GTS does. It's a lot lighter than the 530 GTS is, though, and it's rear-wheel-drive, so its drift is more responsive. It'll punish you if you don't know how to modulate your throttle and cut corners, though, especially on inclines and hills, where its poor ground clearance can create unwanted excitement when adjusting.

Which is why we've also unlocked the Ryback Titan, the bigger, more futuristic-looking cousin of the Ryback Thunder trophy truck. The best way I can describe this car is to say it breaks loose much in the way that the newbie Rybacks, the Brawler and Mohawk, do. It's about as fast as them, too, unfortunately, but it does have a wonderfully growly exhaust note. It'll also stand up to near anything in the game.

Except maybe the Elite Goliath. This is Rigg's truck, and even though it's only Titan fast, it's actually pretty awesome. Its drift is more responsive and more predictable than the Titan's or any of the other trucks', and piloting it's sort of like piloting a nice four-door luxury car. You don't really feel like you're wrestling three tons of blubber like you do in the other land whales. I'd recommend taking a crack at winning the Episode 10 Elite Race, because this truck is worth it. Also it looks like a cross between a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a VW Touareg raid truck, so that's cool too.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Were you thinking about Kate Winslet, or Michelle Rodriguez for Vixen?

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

berryjon posted:

Were you thinking about Kate Winslet, or Michelle Rodriguez for Vixen?
Can confirm Michelle Rodriguez is in F&F. I may or may not have intimate knowledge of the films.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Michelle Rodriguez for sure, I remember her from those awesome Resident Evil movies. Aren't they making another one of those?

I just google'd it and they're rebooting the entire series.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Michelle Rodriguez for sure, I remember her from those awesome Resident Evil movies. Are they making another one of those?

No. They're done... for now. Although now Capcom is making CGI RE films staring the actual characters from the game, though they're just as garbo as the live action ones so :shrug:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nine-gear crow posted:

No. They're done... for now. Although now Capcom is making CGI RE films staring the actual characters from the game, though they're just as garbo as the live action ones so :shrug:

Oh my god you take that back. Resident Evil is like... The diehard of video game movies, it's awesome.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
For some reason I always envisioned Vixen and Raptor as Boomer McTwist and Wex from Wild 9.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Wow, at 14:03 on the Survival course you got two of the luckiest exploding barrel bounces I have ever seen.

Turtle also made an excellent observations (and I continue to be awed at how he was able to identify things on billboards at the speeds you travel in this game) about the location of the Power Plant. I don't think it is adjacent to the Downtown track as the faux-Space Needle doesn't seem to be in sight, but I'm pretty sure the rail bridge on the right side of the last stretch of the Power Plant is identical to the one used on the Downtown track.

I should also point out that while it doesn't happen to you terribly often, it is great to see your Pursuit get split in half by Power Plays. It reminds me of Ace Combat Assault Horizon, though that game came out much later and makes me think that some of its visual design could have been inspired by this.

Also, my preferred method of seeing a Split/Second property come back would be in the form of a movie directed by Michael Bay where he cameos as a producer of the TV show, ranting about needing to meet a regular quota of explosions.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

nine-gear crow posted:

Turtlicious posted:

Oh my god you take that back. Resident Evil is like... The diehard of video game movies, it's awesome.

It's amazing, you two have inversely wrong opinions!

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

New Cars

Body Count

Let's wind down the season championship and secure our spot in the final with two Survival events and a trip back to the world's most dangerous Airport Terminal! Lots of fun and explosions are to be had, especially when we pile into the biggest, baddest truck in the game to tangle with the Elites.

Our new getaway car is the Hanzo FX350, the last vehicle we're going to take ownership of in the season proper. The FX350 doesn't handle like anything else in the game. The blurb in the Vehicle Select screen says it's all about drift control. It can drift alright, but it has the tightest drift of any drivable vehicle, and once it starts drifting, it doesn't really stop until it feels like it. It also scrubs speed if you so much as nudge it in either direction, so overall it's set up for quick direction changes, like in Downtown Central. This makes it a great time-trial car where you have the full width of the road to work with, so it's great at Detonators and Air Revenge events, but its poor Strength and finicky handling mean it's a bad choice overall for explosion-heavy Race and Elimination events, where you don't always have the luxury of planning out your assault on the course.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey diacorn, maybe I've already asked this I dunno, but do you play with a racing wheel or a controller?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Hey diacorn, maybe I've already asked this I dunno, but do you play with a racing wheel or a controller?

Wait, I thought he was in the actual car!

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
Despite not being a car person, I'll rise to your call.

The VW Touareg was named after the Touareg people. Berber nomads who mostly live in the Sahara desert. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuareg_people

According to this article, Touareg is Arabic, meaning "abandoned by God". https://www.pri.org/stories/2012-04-02/tuareg-versus-touareg-whats-name

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As we're closing in on the end I have in fact gotten around to playing this again and assuming the date/time works and everything gets connected I'm in for seeing what the multiplayer is like. Never played the online when it was still around so 'm really curious to see if the multiplayer changes anything.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
That elite race sure was something. You're like the NFL player vs. the kid's team.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah Diacorn has snapped this game in half and it's awesome.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

azren posted:

Wait, I thought he was in the actual car!
Split/Second for VR 2018?

Pea posted:

Despite not being a car person, I'll rise to your call.

The VW Touareg was named after the Touareg people. Berber nomads who mostly live in the Sahara desert. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuareg_people

According to this article, Touareg is Arabic, meaning "abandoned by God". https://www.pri.org/stories/2012-04-02/tuareg-versus-touareg-whats-name
Wow. I learned something today. Thanks for sharing that!

The name makes a lot of sense, because the Race Touareg was originally developed for the Dakar Rally, a particularly brutal cross-desert rally race through the Sahara.

Kibayasu posted:

As we're closing in on the end I have in fact gotten around to playing this again and assuming the date/time works and everything gets connected I'm in for seeing what the multiplayer is like. Never played the online when it was still around so 'm really curious to see if the multiplayer changes anything.
It'll be a great time! I invite you to join the Discord, where I'm currently trying to coordinate everyone's schedules and maybe get some casual games going. Right now I'm shooting for the weekend of February 9.

bbcisdabomb posted:

That elite race sure was something. You're like the NFL player vs. the kid's team.
I have all the bulk and none of the game sense.

diacorn fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 18, 2018

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

New Cars

Body Count

This is the last chance we're going to get to wreck out Raptor and cement our legacy on the show, so let's make it count. We're going to hit every event type we've seen till now and mix it up with cars big and small, and we'll even visit our first Survival track.

Now that we've finished the season, the game doesn't have a lot left to offer that we haven't seen already, but we've got a couple new toys to play with in the post-game. The first car, the Ryback Firestorm, is billed by the game as "the ultimate drift car", and the game is right. This car flies. It's like the Pursuit, but it links drifts easily thanks to its improved power, and it can stand a hit to boot. It's well-balanced, has an awesome paint job, and is in general a total monster. I have pretty much nothing bad to say about it, except that I wish it could have come into our possession before we got the 3600 points required.

We also unlocked Live Wire and Torpedo's Le Mans car, the Elite GT12. It has 10/10 in Speed and Acceleration, and a 1/10 in Strength, so if you drive it, don't get near explosions. Even with its 6/10 Drift, though, you'll be hard pressed to drive it. This car is so light, and has so much wheelspin, it actually burns out in first gear. Moreover, this car doesn't drift like anything else we've seen. If you need to put it into a corner at an angle, it takes its time before it actually responds. Until it decides to play ball, it almost feels like it's driving on ice. Fortunately it doesn't really lose speed once you've got it drifting, but like the Cyclone RS, you're looking for shallow, controlled drifts. Since it's so good at linking these drifts back to back, it handles Air Revenge like no other car if you can compensate for its handling characteristic.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
That bonus cutscene is sure something.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Goddamit, who do I have to shoot to get Split/Second a sequel?! loving hell, only 86k copies sold?!

I AM LEGITIMATELY ANGRY

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 25, 2018

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Thank you for showing off this gem.

I also appreciate that you went into the final elite Race with a white paintjob.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Fun note: Split/Second is going to be free for XBox Live subscribers Feb 1st-15th.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

At the time the SUDDENLY PLOT secret cutscene was perhaps one of the most bizarre endings to a video game I'd ever seen.

I'm also of half the mind that Downtown Central is the final elite race because they timed the mix of the Elite music that plays after the tower drops to go with the jumps and landings of the rooftop section.

I'll try to actually remember to go into the Discord at some point to see what can happen with the player racing :v:

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Magnificent work, and thanks Diacorn for showing it off. Thanks also to Turtle for being the collective voice of our shock and awe at what has just transpired.

I maintain though, that Diacorn's greatest luck is in how the red barrels on Survival courses seem to bounce away from him consistently.

In the end, I can only say that as we reach the end of the road, maybe, just maybe, the real friends were the explosions we made along the way.

...or something like that.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Last Transmission posted:

Thank you for showing off this gem.

I also appreciate that you went into the final elite Race with a white paintjob.
Good eye! It only seemed appropriate, given the recent Star Wars.

Polaron posted:

Fun note: Split/Second is going to be free for XBox Live subscribers Feb 1st-15th.
:siren: :siren: :siren:

I'd encourage all of you to at least try this game!

Kibayasu posted:

At the time the SUDDENLY PLOT secret cutscene was perhaps one of the most bizarre endings to a video game I'd ever seen.

I'm also of half the mind that Downtown Central is the final elite race because they timed the mix of the Elite music that plays after the tower drops to go with the jumps and landings of the rooftop section.
I did not notice whether or not this lines up. Typically, the next intensity level is triggered past a certain pre-defined point in the race when you do something cool, which usually means either wrecking someone or being wrecked. For this Downtown Central event, these points are at the start line on the second and third laps, so it's not unreasonable to think that I just triggered the next intensity by dropping the Space Needle as I went into the final lap.

ModeWondershot posted:

I maintain though, that Diacorn's greatest luck is in how the red barrels on Survival courses seem to bounce away from him consistently.
All shall tremble in fear before the Goliath!

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Body Count

Let's polish off the rest of Split/Second by showing off our post-game cars, the Ryback Firestorm and Elite GT12, and revisit some old tracks we haven't seen in a long time.

Since there aren't any cutscenes to speak of in this video, both playlists are getting the Uncut commentary.

Thanks to everyone who followed along with the LP, and thanks to Turtle for joining me for this season!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Congrats on a great LP! Comprehensive as hell, even with all the time I put into this back on 360 I still learned a lot, finally got to see the end too!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
That was a pretty great game, and a great LP. Thanks!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Good show (ahaha) diacorn! Man, this is such a good game, wish there were more like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Kudos to what may well be the most :torgue: LP ever!

• Locked thread