Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Problem description: I just recently reinstalled windows 7 ultimate on my computer. Before I did, because I'm a dumb, I didn't save any of my driver information and when I booted it up, I was kinda of left in the dark. I've been piecing things back together as best I can but I'm not sure of all of the things I'm missing. The most glaring problem is that I'm not seeing my video card. I tried to reinstall the driver for my video card and it says it's not there. When I check out the device manager all I get is "standard vga card" not the one I actually installed. I do currently have monitor hooked up directly to my video card and not the monitor so I'm not sure what I need to do. As it is now, the video quality is horrible. So I'd like to definitely get the card going, but I'm sure there's other driver stuff I'm missing.

Attempted fixes: Tried going on the ASUS site and downloading nearly all of the available drivers. I don't know what I'm missing.

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem? The reformat.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit

System specs: Self-built computer, but my friend helped me with the drivers when we put it together. I didn't know what I was doing then, still don't now, obviously.

Video Card : EVGA GeForce GTX770 SuperClocked with EVGA ACX Cooler, 2GB GDDR5 256bit, DL DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, DP, SLI Ready Graphics Cards (02G-P4-2774-KR)

Storage Drive: WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache - WD10EZEX

Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards

SSD/Operation Drive (the one I have Windows on) Kingston Digital 120GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5 (7mm height) with Adapter Solid State Drive 2.5-Inch SV300S37A/120G

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz) (BX80646I74790K)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I'm not sure if this is as simple as a "go do X". Hopefully, it is. But if someone is willing to get into a chat room with me on irc and hold my hand through this, it would be supremely appreciated. Either way, once my poor computer is back to be unfucked I'll happily paypal/venmo over the 15 dollar bounty I offered in the title to the person who gets me there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Not sure what you tried, but your video card drivers shouldn't come from the ASUS website anyway.

Go here: https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/123934 Download this, install it, follow the instructions. Should work. If it doesn't, then you have some actual troubleshooting to do.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

Not sure what you tried, but your video card drivers shouldn't come from the ASUS website anyway.

Go here: https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/123934 Download this, install it, follow the instructions. Should work. If it doesn't, then you have some actual troubleshooting to do.

Oh what in the everloving gently caress?

That seemed to work.

I had gone to the geforce site and somehow ended up downloading the wrong driver. I don't know how you found one that was different than the one I found as I was simply searching by model number but this driver seems to work whereas the other one didn't.

Well, thank you for that! Before I put this matter to bed, are there any other important things that may be getting overlooked here? I don't know what chipsets are, but I'm worried I don't have all of them. Yes, that was probably a phenomenally dumb thing I just said, but hey, I'm a dumb.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I'm still kinda noticing some performance issues that shouldn't be there. A simple thing is that when I make a window bigger it lags in getting there. I just feel like something must be missing? Would a picture of my device manager be helpful here?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chili posted:

I'm still kinda noticing some performance issues that shouldn't be there. A simple thing is that when I make a window bigger it lags in getting there. I just feel like something must be missing? Would a picture of my device manager be helpful here?

Did you unplug and replug stuff recently, like when you reinstalled Windows? You might have your monitor plugged into a video port on your motherboard instead of the actual video card. Beyond that, I'm not familiar enough with Windows 7 windows graphics to be sure.

Device Manager won't help with slow window refreshing, but it will let you check for any other drivers you might need (like your chipset drivers.) Flip through the entire tree of options in there, see if anything is listed as an Unknown Device, or has an icon with a yellow question mark or exclamation mark next to it.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

Did you unplug and replug stuff recently, like when you reinstalled Windows? You might have your monitor plugged into a video port on your motherboard instead of the actual video card. Beyond that, I'm not familiar enough with Windows 7 windows graphics to be sure.

Device Manager won't help with slow window refreshing, but it will let you check for any other drivers you might need (like your chipset drivers.) Flip through the entire tree of options in there, see if anything is listed as an Unknown Device, or has an icon with a yellow question mark or exclamation mark next to it.

Yeah, I'm missing like one thing for my ssd driver but otherwise, this looks fine.

I was hoping this would be that easy, but I wasn't optimistic

How would you like your funds, Arivia?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Don't worry about it. I'm just twiddling my thumbs and drinking some tea.

Also try right clicking on your desktop, going to Appearance (or something else with a similar name) and changing to one of the "Aero Themes." See if that fixes your window drawing issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

Don't worry about it. I'm just twiddling my thumbs and drinking some tea.

Also try right clicking on your desktop, going to Appearance (or something else with a similar name) and changing to one of the "Aero Themes." See if that fixes your window drawing issue.

Sure thing, and thank you so much!

• Locked thread