Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

zfs is good i got my files on there, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

sleepy gary posted:

zfs is good i got my files on there, op

v proud of u

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

atomicthumbs posted:

this is disturbing, to me

at top-level*, it's less weird than it sounds. the mainframe libraries that applications use to talk to disks are essentially database APIs.

like ibm vsam, the successor to the ibm isam of yore
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.idag200/vsam.htm

this presents an isam api that is similar to microsoft isam aka esent aka "jet blue," because microsoft isam was directly inspired by the old ibm isam.

the engine --
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Storage_Engine

the c# api --
https://managedesent.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=PersistentDictionaryDocumentation&referringTitle=Home

*at low levels it gets weird as gently caress again.

for historical reasons, mainframe disks don't speak regular scsi, and don't have sectors / cylinders. instead they are "ckd" -- count, key, data. the disk commands themselves operate on isam-lookin' record structures!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_key_data

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

at top-level*, it's less weird than it sounds. the mainframe libraries that applications use to talk to disks are essentially database APIs.

yeah in general don't apply unix logic or windows "logic" to how mainframes work, they're an entirely different kind of flying altogether

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

it had certainly fallen behind. it really needed to go once Apple became almost NAND-storage exclusive. at that point it made no sense not to be aping stuff from F2FS. rumor had it that the iOS team had internally forked HFS+ which certainly seemed untenable for the long term. if you're gonna start over, you might as well grab stuff from btrfs and zfs while you're at it

From what I heard, it wasn't really that it was forked, they were just using HFS+ with Case Sensitivity turned on and some jiggery-pokery with volumes to isolate the OS from the user data (it's how you can wipe the user data off a device instantly but not touching iOS)

Their justification for only checksumming the metadata has been 'well, we do so much checksumming closer to the metal with our flash controllers, so adding in another level on top of it won't really get you any benefits'.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah in general don't apply unix logic or windows "logic" to how mainframes work, they're an entirely different kind of flying altogether

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

hey shaggar since you seem to know so much about NTFS can you tell me whether this is optimal or not

pre:
MFT Information
---------------
MFT size               : 8691 MB (3% of drive)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
probably not. how many files do u have on there?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Shaggar posted:

probably not. how many files do u have on there?

turns out the Linux for Windows subsystem had generated 7.5 million files in a temp folder, which is 15 times more files than the rest of the drive has in it. deleting them took a couple hours.

the MFT was still huge after that but i got paragon hard disk manager suite 15 or something which is apparently the only tool able to do any sort of compacting operation on the MFT and now my poo poo's much faster and my MFT is only 455 megabytes

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

any of y'all have experience with distributed filesystems? i'm talkin xtreemfs, ceph, and so on.

interest is mainly in something to put on a strong NAS that'll act like block storage but can be accessed from both linux and windows over a 10gb link, and be accessed by more than one computer at once

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

turns out the Linux for Windows subsystem had generated 7.5 million files in a temp folder, which is 15 times more files than the rest of the drive has in it. deleting them took a couple hours.

the MFT was still huge after that but i got paragon hard disk manager suite 15 or something which is apparently the only tool able to do any sort of compacting operation on the MFT and now my poo poo's much faster and my MFT is only 455 megabytes

thanks, Linux

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I used to use the Andrew File System over 10Base-T on a DECstation 3100 with only 8MB RAM and 80MB local disk (for Ultrix bootstrapping, the AFS object cache, and swap space), it was decent and the filesystem never felt like the bottleneck

I'm sure the state of distributed file systems has only improved in the 20+ years since then

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

im using Andrew File System right now

pram
Jun 10, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

any of y'all have experience with distributed filesystems? i'm talkin xtreemfs, ceph, and so on.

interest is mainly in something to put on a strong NAS that'll act like block storage but can be accessed from both linux and windows over a 10gb link, and be accessed by more than one computer at once

uhh iscsi? why the gently caress would you use ceph on a nas lol

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

atomicthumbs posted:

When this happens again you can use robocopy /purge with an empty directory as the source. Stuff that makes explorer crash only takes seconds this way.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
if you mean one giant share to be accessed by everyone then there’s nothing wrong with smb and nfs. there’s no reason to have it as block storage since Linux and windows and everything else support both natively

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WAFL or bust

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cocoa Crispies posted:

ya, the zfs i was referring to isn't even the native filing system of z/os, which is record oriented, not byte oriented. you format a linear dataset as zfs so you can trick java/unix software (like websphere) into running on a mainframe

and then you add a bunch of mainframe integration features anyway because of course

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

pram posted:

uhh iscsi? why the gently caress would you use ceph on a nas lol

ntfs over iscsi isn't the best option for windows/linux interoperation or for being able to access my nas from more than one computer, and gently caress if i'm gonna pirate windows server for whatever clustering bullshit it's got

i know this is some /r/homelab poo poo

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

pram posted:

if you mean one giant share to be accessed by everyone then there’s nothing wrong with smb and nfs. there’s no reason to have it as block storage since Linux and windows and everything else support both natively

i hate smb and would prefer to do something outlandishly complex and stupid overall

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i dont trust anything that's called a "filer" because file is not a computer verb

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i have a small pile of CNAs so if i really hated myself i could do fibre channel over ethernet

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

atomicthumbs posted:

i hate smb and would prefer to do something outlandishly complex and stupid overall

then friend setting up your very own AFS cell might be up your alley

pram
Jun 10, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

ntfs over iscsi isn't the best option for windows/linux interoperation

ya. it doesnt matter what the underlying filesystem is bro if mount is either smb or nfs. its not block storage

pram
Jun 10, 2001
also how does windows mount wacky stuff, does it have FUSE?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
give this a shot imo

https://www.minio.io/

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
im running freenas now

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

pram posted:

also how does windows mount wacky stuff, does it have FUSE?

i looked at xtreemfs, which apparently has its own windows client that works like a block device

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/OpenZFS/status/921042446275944448

:dukedoge:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

zfs continues to get better

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

zfs continues to get better

it was great before but baby, look at it now

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

good news! zfs now runs on windows!
https://github.com/lundman/ZFSin

https://twitter.com/muratkarslioglu/status/922924516967292928

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz